Friday Influences - 10-17-14

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Did someone say FRIDAY?!?!? Couldn't come too soon this week.

My daughter says, "Dad, you look pissed off and tired. What's up?" What's up? From the outside: I've been at the top of my game at work. I've completed a financial overhaul to facilitate getting my kid (aforementioned offspring unit) into a great vet college (UC DAVIS?), I've made things happen... but the stuff no one sees? The dog snubbed me when I went to go pet her. I pissed on my hand (TMI), I stumbled and walked into a door and bumped my forehead very hard... the mechanic called and said it'll be 3500 to 4000 bucks. I took a mix way too far into not better but worse land.

eff eff eff eff eff eff eff eff eff EFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!

Time for a new car? (It's a '02 Lee. Frugal is one thing but...) Stop and pay attention when you're pissing in a hurry at work. Don't rush to meetings. Walk. You'll be 60 seconds late. It's cool. Stop. Breathe. And off you go in a calm and deliberate manner. Me specifically? I took a nap.

And when I woke the wife and kid were perusing iTunes for music to buy. All the latest. That's great. But I add... "Hey, got any Bill Withers?" What's he do? "Just listen to a couple of them real quick." Oh, man! I LOVE this one! And this one! And... Bill Withers huh?

After the obvious hits were purchased I asked, "You know that tune by Blackstreet in the 90's. No Diggity?" Of course. "OK, listen to Wither's Grandma's Hands" Another 99 cents to Mr. Withers. Along with No Diggity of course.

"How about Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell?" Sure. What's Goin' On, Grapevine, Mercy Mercy. "No... well yeah but...And TAMMI TERRELL!" Who?

Freaking great stuff. Marvin Gaye AND TAMMI TERRELL!

And for me... the definitive version of Ain't No Mountian High Enough

• Moderators

Tammi Terrell. She should join Garfunkel and Oates. I GET Terrell. Alone she's... good. But really, never great.

Now, just listen to her blend with Mr. Gaye. That girl had skills I understand. Those are my skills. That's what I did when I played professionally. Always in support of the focus. What a freaking voice. Can't hold a candle to Marvin but she makes Marvin sound even better. Skills, Ms. Terrell. Skills.

Here's to you, Tammi, and your thankless task.

• Members

You're too hard on yourself Lee!

Aahhh... 1990. Coming of age time for a younger me. I used to stay up late on Sunday nights to watch 120 Minutes and get me some new British music... something different... What's that I see? A hammond organ? A dance beat? An arguably blatant Hush rip off? Give me more! If I couldn't stay up, I'd set the timer on my VCR. I couldn't get enough of this era back then. And I still love it now.

The Charlatans UK - The Only One I Know

• Moderators
You're too hard on yourself Lee!

Aahhh... 1990. Coming of age time for a younger me. I used to stay up late on Sunday nights to watch 120 Minutes and get me some new British music... something different... What's that I see? A hammond organ? A dance beat? An arguably blatant Hush rip off? Give me more! If I couldn't stay up, I'd set the timer on my VCR. I couldn't get enough of this era back then. And I still love it now.

The Charlatans UK - The Only One I Know

Ha! the mix was a symptom of an overstretched mind. It's done. Moving on.

I asked my wife if she'd ever heard of Charlatans UK. No... never. but I used to love these guys called The Charlatans. Oh... yeah, them!

Brings me back to this for some reason. THE STEREO MC's!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnSgPn063oE

• Moderators

Oh man... OH MAN! OH MAN! That's just GREAT!

A cool story from the original engineer for his first recordings, which are all songs we know. Withers shows up with his guitar. his chair, and his platform. A small hollow box his chair sat on and extended to under his feet.

The engineer says, "Oh, you won't need that." Apparently Mr. Withers said something like, "Mmm-hmmm." and set his chair on top of the hollow little platform. As the engineer went about getting his guitar and vocal sound there was that persistent "knock-knock-knock-knock". insistently tapping out where the groove was. Right here fellas. You can see him do it in this vid, sans the platform. And you can hear it on those recordings. Grandma's hands. And on Blackstreet's No Diggity where the sampler demons used it to great effect.

Withers. MAN! The ultimate in soulful funked up folk music.

• Members
Karla Bonoff - Someone To Lay Down Beside Me

That takes me back to the days of Linda Ronstadt as a Top 40 hit machine in the 1970s. (Ronstadt recorded "Someone to Lay Down Beside Me.")

In the late 1960s Bonoff, Wendy Waldman, Andrew Gold, & Kenny Edwards (formerly of The Stone Poneys) had a band called Bryndle. They recorded an album but it was never released.

There was a great deal of songwriting talent there, though.

Andrew Gold had a few minor Top 40 hits in the 1970s. This one barely charted in the U.S. but hit #5 in the U.K. I've always liked this song a lot.

• Members

[i guess I posted on the wrong thread.]

I have no deep influences today, but here's Mary Lambert, the woman who sang the hook Macklemore sampled for "Same Love," with her new single. This song will be huge, or should be:

And here's The Communards, because Lee posted about Jimmy Sommervile on another thread.

I remember this song being so poppy and infectious that I actually felt myself getting more tolerant hearing it the first time...'yeah, there *is* more to love than boy meets girl.'

• Moderators
[i guess I posted on the wrong thread.]

I have no deep influences today, but here's Mary Lambert, the woman who sang the hook Macklemore sampled for "Same Love," with her new single. This song will be huge, or should be:

And here's The Communards, because Lee posted about Jimmy Sommervile on another thread.

I remember this song being so poppy and infectious that I actually felt myself getting more tolerant hearing it the first time...'yeah, there *is* more to love than boy meets girl.'

Yeah, that Mary Lambert Secrets is actually pretty cool. At the beginning of the track I got the, "Oh no. Ironic delivery, witty buzz phrases." But it quickly turns into a real winner. My wife and daughter haven't stopped singing it the past 3 weeks or so.

• Members
Yeah, that Mary Lambert Secrets is actually pretty cool. At the beginning of the track I got the, "Oh no. Ironic delivery, witty buzz phrases."

Yeah, bipolar disorder is no joke: my best friend in HS got it in his early 20s and killed himself at 27. He hated the medication, loved the mania too much. I think 1/3 of all people who leave it untreated commit suicide.

• Members

Jack Sheldon, brilliant jazz trumpeter, comic actor, and great singer!

From the highly under-rated Disney animated feature, Teacher's Pet.

And who could forget "Conjunction Junction?"

[video=youtube;RPoBE-E8VOc]

"Atomic Bomb."

[video=youtube;cSgHg-knEQ0]

• Members

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZixSN7HvVrQ

Charlie Robison - Desperate Times

Well Jackie he went to high school, in little Texas town

He finished up and spent the most of next year bummin' around

He couldn't find a job to hold, so on a Friday night

He figured he could see the world and buy a 4-wheel drive

If he'd join the army, 'cause these are desperate times