Girlfriend Says - worth re-writing?

mbfrancis

• Members

Wondering if I should dust this off for a re-write. This is an old song and a good example of a decent idea limited by shoddy execution, specifically the verses. Some good lines, I think, strong melody, but the verses let it down – I think I was going for something complex but it fails…while the girlfriend is dismissive, I am mired in self-doubt and self-loathing…so no one’s sympathetic.

The question for a re-write is what the tone should be in verses – should it be wounded, fierce, dismissive in turn, 3rd vs. 1st person, etc.? Shooting to write a power pop monster, while still being reasonably smart, if possible. Does the "Choose!" bit at the end work? Is it any good - should I even bother? Any ideas welcome.

'Girlfriend Says'

Girlfriend says

that the highs don’t feel quite as high as they used to

Girlfriend says,

‘you know I could be with anyone that I choose to’

I didn’t have nerve to tell you straight

I let you down and don’t expect you to wait

Around for me to live up to you

Though I hope you do

Girlfriend says,

‘oh of everyone why did I have to choose you?’

Girlfriend says,

‘When all’s said and done I won’t cry when I lose you’

Well, you’re a piece of work – whoever sent you here

As if these doubts would ever disappear

This fear here has consequently

Overwhelmed me

God I need you more than I dare to say

Say you’ll care for me when you’ve been betrayed

When every single day turns out the same way

And every word you say drives me away

Wooooo hoooo

Girlfriend says,

‘you’re a big façade posing as my boyfriend’

Girlfriend says,

‘yeah I swear to God I’ll be gone when the joy ends’

Girlfriend says

‘now the highs don’t feel quite as high as they used to’

Girlfriend says,

‘you know I could be with anyone that I choose to

‘you know I could be with anyone that I choose to’

Choose!

• Moderators

I love it. Yes, tighten up the verses. It would be cool to show a clearer reaction to the ungrateful witch. Either take a hike or I'm frozen to inaction or... Something clear. And maybe funny or pathetic or strong. But clear about your state and reaction. Your indifference inspires me into inaction. Every time you talk about us, girl I lose my traction. 'Edit' Or not. I love this kinda stuff. Nicely done dude

• Members
I love it. Yes, tighten up the verses. It would be cool to show a clearer reaction to the ungrateful witch. Either take a hike or I'm frozen to inaction or... Something clear. And maybe funny or pathetic or strong. But clear about your state and reaction. Your indifference inspires me into inaction. Every time you talk about us, girl I lose my traction. My stuff clearly you. Or not. I love this kinda stuff. Nicely done dude

Yes, "a clearer reaction." I like the "frozen to inaction," that's good...or *something* that would explain why I would be going out with this person. "But clear about your state and reaction." Yes, yes, just what I needed - thanks, Lee.

Thanks Lees...Still wondering if the "Choose!" bit works, hmmm.

• Members
I love it. Yes, tighten up the verses. It would be cool to show a clearer reaction to the ungrateful witch. Either take a hike or I'm frozen to inaction or... Something clear. And maybe funny or pathetic or strong. But clear about your state and reaction. Your indifference inspires me into inaction. Every time you talk about us, girl I lose my traction. My stuff clearly you. Or not. I love this kinda stuff. Nicely done dude

Yeah! The guy's verses are too vanilla, too nondescript. She has to be buggin' the sh!t out of him. Her voice jumps off the page, so to speak. His fades into the wallpaper.

• Members

Yeah! The guy's verses are too vanilla, too nondescript. She has to be buggin' the sh!t out of him. Her voice jumps off the page, so to speak. His fades into the wallpaper.

Let me know if you guys have any ideas where this should go directionally. I've already thought of a few and discarded them. Maybe he's packing up to leave the whole time, or maybe the sex is really really good (discarded that), or you find out she just talks that way but they're really in love...they're things she says to get a rise. Any help appreciated - once I nail that it should write itself I hope!

• Members

+1 on Lee and Lee's comments.

As noted, the girlfriend verses are all keepers. I think his verses are ok - I think punching up the bridge lyric should be the first priority.

What you've got now is very strong already: nice melodic ideas, vocal phrasing that pushes the rhythm, and I love the guitar solo.

re: direction. How about pulling the camera back and showing that it is the same guy on a first date with another woman, falling into the trap of wasting the opportunity by talking too much about the ex-girlfriend that he isn't quite over yet.

• Moderators

Still wondering if the "Choose!" bit works, hmmm.

I think it does if you write a song about him choosing. But that's not really the song yet. And it may never be. I'd get it out of your mind and explore your options. Then... tap into it if it feels like the direction you're really wanting to go.

Archived