The Day I Lost Myself REVISIT for release

Lee Knight

• Moderators

I want to bring Justin Bee in on this. His vocal prominently in the gang, any counter harmony lines he might feel. Dirty funky Rhodes. B3 playing the string part + plus the Justin nasty. So... we're revisiting for release. Any thoughts? I'm want to get a friend of Justin's who is apparently a very good, renown bari sax player and have him play along with the main riff for vibe and grease then add a solo section after the instrumental interlude and trade B3 a bari licks for 8 bars.

So... lyrics? Performances? Lead vocal? Do I recut drums live or do we like the MIDI programing? Anything.

[video=youtube;F2ZqbqBaq-g]

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators
and SLEEP should make the EP!

I think Sleep might be a little out of character for the tone of the EP. We're going for sort of a poppy mix I think. Sleep's probably my best tune but it does feel a little "name the one that's different". Maybe?

• Moderators

I think Sleep might be a little out of character for the tone of the EP. We're going for sort of a poppy mix I think. Sleep's probably my best tune but it does feel a little "name the one that's different". Maybe?

Then again... we could strip it of all country-isms and go more Beatlesque on it. ???

• Moderators

Lyrics

It’s not like it’s a bad thing, fading to dust

It’s not like it matters one speck

It’ more like the gate swings on hinges of rust

And I swear this time I’m a wreck

Now I’m flat on the floor

None of me left

Thinkin’ about round two

Cause the day I lost myself

I found you

It’s not like I haven’t said it before

Knock me down, I’ll rise again

It’s not a question of, “Man, how’s that work?”

It’s more a question of when

Still, I was lookin’ to drown, slipping’ with ease

Can’t get much lower than that

It’s not a question of subtle degrees

But more, how low is the mat?

• Members

So... lyrics? Performances? Lead vocal?

The first verse is great, but the second feels like a shadow version.

In other words instead of reiterating the first verse with different words (which may not be what you're doing, it just felt like it to me), I would try to take things off in a slightly different direction, thought I'm not sure what that would be.

That's just my first impression. (I'll listen again to see if I can get a better idea.)

The production, the vocal, the music, everything else is top notch, first rate.

• Members

I think I've isolated "the problem" (if there is one).

The first verse is visceral, conversational, pulling us in.

The second gets too analytical? Out of the moment?

Maybe:

It's not like I haven't...

felt it before.

Knock me down

I'll rise up again.

It's not a question of

how low can I go?

It's just a matter of when.

Now I'm flat on my back,

none of me left,

but I'm thinking about round 3.

'Cause the day I lost myself

you found me.

• Moderators
I think I've isolated "the problem" (if there is one).

The first verse is visceral, conversational, pulling us in.

The second gets too analytical? Out of the moment?

Maybe:

It's not like I haven't felt it before.

Knock me down

I'll rise up again.

It's not a question of

how low can I go?

It's just a matter of when.

Now I'm flat on my back,

none of me left,

but I'm thinking about round 3.

'Cause the day I lost myself

you found me.

I love the pre change, Lee! Round 3 and me. I think. It has been a mild concern that it is identical. And you offer up a very good possibility. I'm going to have to see how that feels. Very cool idea. The "low" unfortunately is being used with the mat in V3. I like what you did there as well but it creates a whole new set of issues later on.

I'm going to think on what you've done though. Very good, insightful stuff as usual. Thank you!

• Moderators
Don't touch the groove, the vocal arrangement or the breakdown. It's great as is, but your ideas make sense. Biggest question to me is if you keep the acoustic guitars or whether you go for a more traditional Tele/Strat sound.
Thanks Ram. Yeah, I hear ya... I lean toward the acoustic bolstered by a Bari. The acoustic makes things a little less predictably idiomatic. And... It plays into my love if Bill Withers. As far as the Little Village tune, I loved the band. Have I ripped? Need to go listen.

• Members
It's a good thing. He's drinking and hitting rock bottom. And then he finds... her. I'm a wreck is an old cliche. "This time" meaning he's been here before. But he never had the benefit of. "Her" before either. Or not.

I don't get it right away. Which doesn't mean it's not good, it's just the meaning doesn't hit me in real-time, which means it's maybe not as powerful as it could be. Maybe I'm alone, though.

Archived