Justin/Lee - Sons n' Daughters ph2

Lee Knight

• Members

I was lying next to my wife listening to this on headphones and absolutely burst out laughing at the descant on the last chorus. She thought I was nuts, but what a wonderful wonderful part.

Not much to say: organ sounds better, you're riding the faders more, *love* the drop chorus. Couple things:

* It really needs a fill going into ch1 I think.

* Whoever told you to turn up the piano on v2 is an idiot, turn it down a little bit. :)

* Love the guitar solo...consider bringing back the piano solo half way through, it needs something to give it interest. Or maybe doubling it with something?

* Not sure the sung "we can hide" is necessary on the last instrumental chorus, try without. Maybe drop in a glissando going into it to keep up the energy?

Great stuff.

• Moderators

Good stuff, guys. Martin, I disagree about the V2 piano level. I think it's more difficult for you because you played it. Full disclosure... I was going to turn that part up before you mentioned it. It was on the list. If you look at it, not as a piano level, but as an identifier of mood... It's right. It bounces off the octave down vocal and mild feel change with walking bass, etc. to take the SONG to a new place. It's like turning down a calliope when you're going for circus. That part pulls the listener by the hand to a new place...

• Members

Definitely don't think the piano is too loud. Some of those piano runs I want to hear a little louder. The organ was re-recorded with a real Hammond. Big difference.

What kind of fill are you thinking? I kind of dig the piano glissando you do there.

PS: Lee is kicking ass on this stuff.

• Members
It's like turning down a calliope when you're going for circus. That part pulls the listener by the hand to a new place...

Yeah, to Cuban Pete's Mojito Lounge!

I just think it needs a subtle drum fill into ch1 - there are so many drum fills (all tasteful) on the thing that it struck me with its absence.

Yeah, real organ is a real organ, ha.

P.S. Yes, Lee's kicking ass, it sounds great.

• Members

I'm relieved you guys like the guitar solo... I thought it might come a bit unexpected. Both Lee and I love it. So two comments so far to add a little something in that section... and both suggest adding another solo. I'm having trouble hearing that in my head... I'm thinking maybe just some piano chords accentuating the 2 & 4... bum BUM bum BUM in the second half of the solo might do the trick?

About the fade... I'm torn. I always hear that fadeouts are a 'cop-out' in recorded music. Now, I'm not one to really care about those sort of statements... but I do like how it ends now. If we go fadeout... it'll definitely take on that Davy Jones meets the Brady Bunch kind of vibe. It would fit the song most definitely. Interested in Lee's thoughts.

• Moderators

About a fade. It's absolutely cracking me up Justin that you're saying exactly what I was going to say. Studies have shown... etc. That all makes me feel uncomfortable. But there are some good points. Apparently today's listeners, and that includes all of us as well, will just switch to the next tune in their phone during a fade. Knowing that makes me want to not fade and try to improve the proper ending. Maybe some whiz-bang?

Stick - Are you saying a second guitar along with the existing solo? I'm starting to get some ideas here. It feels like the piano could answer the solo phrases, I'm talking a note or two, a little motif answer here or there.

Martin - "Yeah, to Cuban Pete's Mojito Lounge!" But that's what I LIKE about it! It's wink-at-the-camera kitsch. Like Steve Nieve's piano in Costello's Clubland. And that piano is poking fun at itself along with the oldies who have to hide from the kids (Sorry Justin and wife). I think it's very hep and groovy. Some hipster irony? I assumed that is what you were going for when we were tracking. Oh... and it adds a mock Jaws ominous thing to underscore the dreaded kid asking for money. All in a lounge lizard getup. I loved it right away as you might recall. That is not a misfire. You nailed the mood perfectly and with a great ironic subtext. You're a genius!!! :)

now... that ending...

• Moderators

Oh... drum fill into the C1. Yeah, I was back and forth on that. Each fill is copied from the performance bits not used in the track and pasted and massaged into place. So, for sure, I have thought about that spot. Among all the others. But I also thought about what Martin was saying about doling it out slowly. And with the piano gliss there... Though.. it could do a build stop on 8th note triplets there:

bup-bup-bup bup-bup-bup-STOP! We can (BAM BACK IN!) Hi-eeed!

• Members

Stick - Are you saying a second guitar along with the existing solo? I'm starting to get some ideas here. It feels like the piano could answer the solo phrases, I'm talking a note or two, a little motif answer here or there.

Ok I am at work and only have access to an acoustic guitar but first idea from my head to illustrate (im sure you could do something much better (and make it sit better) Maybe even a nice clean guitar.

http://picosong.com/9W7k/

• Moderators

Ok I am at work and only have access to an acoustic guitar but first idea from my head to illustrate (im sure you could do something much better (and make it sit better) Maybe even a nice clean guitar.

Yeah, that's cool. I could just lay that down as you have it. On a clean electric. I'll mess with that tonight. Thanks!

• Moderators
@ 2:47 :lol:

[video=youtube;fRNFus7Pbp4]

Davie was a good man. That last close up of him you can see he's really trying to figure out how he can help. Either that or he's thinking... MAN, this chick's going to be dyno in a couple of years. Ask me then, hot stuff.

And yes, John Lennon could sing close without popping p's but Davie could fade out!!! Amazing technique.

• Members
Martin - "Yeah' date=' to Cuban Pete's Mojito Lounge!" [/i']But that's what I LIKE about it! It's wink-at-the-camera kitsch. Like Steve Nieve's piano in Costello's Clubland. And that piano is poking fun at itself along with the oldies who have to hide from the kids (Sorry Justin and wife). I think it's very hep and groovy. Some hipster irony? I assumed that is what you were going for when we were tracking. Oh... and it adds a mock Jaws ominous thing to underscore the dreaded kid asking for money. All in a lounge lizard getup. I loved it right away as you might recall. That is not a misfire. You nailed the mood perfectly and with a great ironic subtext. You're a genius!!! :)

Well I did mean all that (maybe not the Jaws bit), I just think it could come down a hair, ha.

It works w/out a fill into ch1, but I notice the absence every time, feels missing. Could be something super subtle, like even one extra snare hit, just something to give us an inkling that something new is coming.

+1 for no fade, it would be a little *too* Daydream Believer. It's a great hook, don't wear out its welcome.

• Moderators

It works w/out a fill into ch1, but I notice the absence every time, feels missing. Could be something super subtle, like even one extra snare hit, just something to give us an inkling that something new is coming.

I totally hear you on that. It makes me pause too when I don't hear anything there. I do think the simplest is probably the best there as well.

• Moderators
Great. Fade or no fade' date=' I can dig it. I was going to say that I missed the piano during the interlude, that I wanted some more interaction there, but Stick's idea is boss so that's what I'd run with.[/quote']

You said his idea was boss but didn't you mean keen? Or neato at least?

• Members

Great part, so musical - my initial thought is that it's too close to the original solo in sound, though - maybe play it on an organ or piano?

• Moderators

Great part, so musical - my initial thought is that it's too close to the original solo in sound, though - maybe play it on an organ or piano?

I think I want to try it a couple different ways. I could mic up the same piano Martin played and try my hand at that part to simulate the same guy playing all the piano parts. Or... do the double tracked and split wide version of the part on guitar. That was Avery playing the solo. There is no danger of me making it sound too much like him :) ...or like Martin for that matter. But it's a simple part.

Archived