Sons and Daughters - Justin D / Lee K Colab

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Justin DiFebbo, aka Bee3, wrote this song for the guilty pleasures challenge. He couldn't get the feel to work for him and we decided to do it together. He opened up the door to a cowrite but every time we needed a new section or lyric he'd write the perfect thing, in a minute. Remember when this guy had doubts about writing? This is a Justin D composition. When you're rollin', you're rollin. So I stood back and made sure I helped rather than hindered.

It's still a work in progress, till it isn't. The mysterious MB Francis is playing the main piano, he came over and tracked with my upright in my studio. Boyz got skillz. Justin takes the solo. I play bass, sing some backups, percussion, electric guitars, mixing and performance engineering, etc.

We've made a few snips and tucks, lots actually, but need the help of the Songwriting Crew to keep us on track. I don't think at this point we'd consider a major re-write, that occurred when he first brought the tune out at the forum here, but some pointed input on rough spots, etc., is welcomed and encouraged.

• Members

Firstly I LOVE the song - like REALLY love it.

I'm not sure what it is but something feel lacking from the mix

Its a magic something.... it kinda feels thin if that makes sense?

I think id like to hear a more rounded punchy bass really carrying the song rather than that slightly muddy thing (i do love the bass line though)

Piano is fantastic - so good..... maybe in that solo, instead of it all kinda going away and being a piano only solo , I wonder if there could be a big fuzzy guitar or something over it.... not sure what.

What I'd really actually love is to have a crack at the multi tracks.... is it a huge job for me to get hold of them?

Also is it something you'd mind me having a play with??

• Members

Lyrics:

If we find that in the middle of a sunny afternoon

That everything is feeling right

Gonna put on our favorite song

Gonna get it on

And if we're feeling kind of frisky

And we're bathed in summer sweat

With nothing to attend to at all

Take a swim behind the waterfall

Time to get it on

We can hide from our sons and daughters

Shake cause we wanna all right

Sometimes love flows freely like the water

Enjoy our guilty pleasures tonight

Hey dad whatcha doing?

I've been looking for you

See my wallets kind of empty and I have something to do

Need to borrow some cash and your keys

Got my girl to please

Disappointments not an option here tonight

Guilty pleasures feel so wrong and feel so right

• Members

Thanks Stick. I'll wait for Lee to respond on the bass and mixing comments... regarding the piano solo, my last email to Lee (about an hour ago) stated something similar. I recorded a left-hand tack piano part to complement the piano solo... Lee's going to try and put that in there to see if it helps.

It cannot be understated how much Lee has brought to this song though... he fixed all my {censored}ty parts and made them sound good. smiley-happy Timing completely off? That's no issue for Lee! He's like the superman of production and engineering. And Martin's piano makes me smile. So bubbly/happy/poppy... I LOVE it.

• Moderators
Firstly I LOVE the song - like REALLY love it.

I'm not sure what it is but something feel lacking from the mix

Its a magic something.... it kinda feels thin if that makes sense?

I think id like to hear a more rounded punchy bass really carrying the song rather than that slightly muddy thing (i do love the bass line though)

Piano is fantastic - so good..... maybe in that solo, instead of it all kinda going away and being a piano only solo , I wonder if there could be a big fuzzy guitar or something over it.... not sure what.

What I'd really actually love is to have a crack at the multi tracks.... is it a huge job for me to get hold of them?

Also is it something you'd mind me having a play with??

We're still working on it! I don't think I'm quite ready to hand over the files. :)

Justin has mentioned a few times that the solo section really needs something. We're looking for a part that was tracked early on that may lift it. Also... as Stick mentions about a overdrive guitar, I wonder if a full bore B3 part playing swooping pads with Leslie being slowed down and sped up, bar being manipulated, that sort of thing, might lift the section.

The bass... I've been going back and forward with Justin on that. I'm really struggling to get it to be heard. The muddiness is my doing in post. Trying to layer amps to get the SUB stuff insinuated in the quasi-reggae line, and still be heard. I'll get it.

Now Stick, that magic... I'm all for adding some magic. What are you thinking? Can you put into words a little?

• Moderators

You know... that fuzzy guitar idea. I'm starting to hear that. First off, I really love the melody and part Justin plays in that solo. Such a cool thing. And truth be known, he tracked an electric guitar part doubling that line originally. And it's cool too. He wasn't so into it and I think he was right. The styles just didn't mesh quite right. BUT... a fuzz guitar doing the 60's sitar or sax thing that fuzz guitars used to do, in that Strawberry Alarm Clock meets The Turtles meets Edwyn Collins/Girl Like You way...

• Moderators
Magic into words? Hmmm I don't know It's just some sparkle...and glue I think that bass may fix the glue... the sparkle I'm not sure yet. For what it's worth I don't think you'd miss the sub element of the bass so lose it and turn that bass up beatles style

Yeah, I think that's the key right there. I'm trying to get it to do 2 things and it's missing on both. I should make it a real McCartney boosted 120--240 kind of thing.

• Moderators
Magic into words? Hmmm I don't know It's just some sparkle...and glue I think that bass may fix the glue... the sparkle I'm not sure yet. For what it's worth I don't think you'd miss the sub element of the bass so lose it and turn that bass up beatles style

As far as sparkle... now that's the kind of challenge I like! I always feel the need to pull back on my tendency for "sparkle". But stuff like double tracking acoustic guitars but not playing chords, just strumming muted strings, panned wide... that can be pretty freaking sparkly. Got think of some ideas for that part of the spectrum.

• Moderators
Interestingly' date=' when Lee and I decided to collaborate (this won't be the only song), I told him I wanted something sparkly sounding... unlike all of my other material. :)[/quote']

I just think you're a naturally sparkly person so you've got to watch it. Too much sparkly and you're... what's the word? TOO sparky. That's it.

• Members

I just think you're a naturally sparkly person so you've got to watch it. Too much sparkly and you're... what's the word? TOO sparky. That's it.

Ha. You've never actually met me. Some, like my wife and really all of my friends, would say that I'm the complete opposite of sparkly.

• Moderators
Awesome. Yeah, a guitar on top of that piano part would be awesome.... as is this song. I'm fvcking jealous as hell. :)

EDIT: Bring the guitar back at the very end. That part could use a little oomph as well.

Thanks Justin. So... "Bring the guitar back at the very end". Let's drill down on this a little. Are you refereeing to the piano outro that plays at the end, on the chorus chords? And if so, then are you saying to take that arpeggiated little electric guitar figure and layer it over that piano ending?

And more oomph. On the main electric guitar? I've gone back and forth in all directions on it. More distorted, more bassy, more bite, clean, delayed out. Which direction do you see it moving further in? Assuming you're talking about that main electric guitar.

• Members

Sure thing, Lee.

By "oomph", I'm solely talking about those specific spots that don't quite pack the punch I think the song is asking for. As far as I'm concerned, the rest is pretty much good to go.

"At the end" meant specifically at 2:43 if just felt like a very simple lead guitar (maybe played with a slide?) with plenty of sustained notes would fill that part out wonderfully. If you do add an electric guitar to the middle piano, bring that same sound in there as well (maybe even as early as 2:35 on the final couplet).

• Members

I am at work btwn meetings so this will have to be brief:

* Love the track, vibe, all the vocals, I like the bass, like almost all of it. Yada Yada.

* For me what is missing is bold, deliberate mix moves. There’s a lot of *stuff* going on, but really we can only focus on a couple of things at a time, and there should be one thing in focus at any second. So when there’s an organ part taking over, make it take over, ditto the piano riffs. I would love to hear more of the piano on v2. I think you need fewer parts but more aggressively mixed.

* I think the piano needs to be dialed back – the riffage starts *way* to soon for me, and leaves it nowhere to go. I’d make is progressively more riff-y. Then, when there’s a riff, mix it loud (see above). This is subjective though.

* Agree about the solo. I think the barroom is stuff is well-played but borderline pastiche-y. Also, because you have the other piano riffing the whole time, it makes the cool playing a bit of a let down…’what, more piano?’

* High harmonies on chorus need to be louder. I think the entry of the high “hide” (Bb) needs to be delayed a half note, would be more interesting.

* Hate the organ sound, sorry, sounds fake to me. Part is also too much like Jammin’ for me, maybe it would work with a real organ. I think it needs love and needs to be mixed more aggressively.

All I have…rock!

• Members
Oohh... you nailed it on the organ part. It IS fake. I've been threatening to replace it for a month... maybe now I will. You think something a little more ballsy?

Well, the beauty of the real B3 is that you can be ballsy for those aggressive chord bits and then lay back and give a bed of pure butter. Right?

• Moderators
Oohh... you nailed it on the organ part. It IS fake. I've been threatening to replace it for a month... maybe now I will. You think something a little more ballsy?

Regardless of the sound you find that works, Justin, I do like the extremely simple nature of the part. I don't mind the Jammin' quote in the least. Not saying there isn't anything better, but quoting Jammin' isn't an issue to me. It's cool, whether spotted/noticed or not. For me.

• Moderators
I am at work btwn meetings so this will have to be brief:

* Love the track, vibe, all the vocals, I like the bass, like almost all of it. Yada Yada.

* For me what is missing is bold, deliberate mix moves. There’s a lot of *stuff* going on, but really we can only focus on a couple of things at a time, and there should be one thing in focus at any second. So when there’s an organ part taking over, make it take over, ditto the piano riffs. I would love to hear more of the piano on v2. I think you need fewer parts but more aggressively mixed.

* I think the piano needs to be dialed back – the riffage starts *way* to soon for me, and leaves it nowhere to go. I’d make is progressively more riff-y. Then, when there’s a riff, mix it loud (see above). This is subjective though.

* Agree about the solo. I think the barroom is stuff is well-played but borderline pastiche-y. Also, because you have the other piano riffing the whole time, it makes the cool playing a bit of a let down…’what, more piano?’

* High harmonies on chorus need to be louder. I think the entry of the high “hide” (Bb) needs to be delayed a half note, would be more interesting.

* Hate the organ sound, sorry, sounds fake to me. Part is also too much like Jammin’ for me, maybe it would work with a real organ. I think it needs love and needs to be mixed more aggressively.

All I have…rock!

* For me what is missing is bold, deliberate mix moves. There’s a lot of *stuff* going on, but really we can only focus on a couple of things at a time, and there should be one thing in focus at any second.

Totally agree. ^^^

• Members

Certainly for me and perhaps for everyone else

I've only being super picky and harsh and its SO DAMN GOOD

Usually i'd say to someone "you nailed it...move on...be happy"

But i just think this final push could make this into a truely remarkable radio ready track

I would hate to see that opportunity missed

Archived