Friday Influence Thread- 9-5-14

Foose31

• Members

Figured I'd get this started because I wanted to share a pretty cool article I found after i looked up this song,( that I strongly relate to in so many ways), "They Don't Understand" by Sawyer Brown.

Here is the link about the songwriter of this song, http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainme...From-God.aspx#

here is a small clip from the article along with the lyrics to the video above.

Dean Chance moved from Dunn, North Carolina to Nashville 25 years ago, because he thought he'd have a better shot at breaking into the music business. He took a job at Farrar Furniture; he's been there for all 25 years and is now the manager. In the past quarter century, he has written about 100 songs. He never sold one.

Dean and Teresa Chance have two children, a 28-year-old son and a daughter, Katie, now 7. When she was two, Katie was diagnosed with autism. "She looks normal, but her behavior makes going to new places difficult," Teresa says. "There have been a number of car trips when we'd drive for 20 hours, then have to come home. Or we'd take her to restaurants and have to leave. People give us looks, but I can't put a sign on my daughter: 'She's not badly behaved, she's autistic.'"

Eighteen months ago, those judgmental looks in restaurants inspired Dean to write the song he gave to Mark Miller, which he called "They Don't Understand." He changed his restaurant experience to a scene on a bus and he was off:

A mother riding on a city bus

kids are yelling kicking up a fuss

everybody's staring

not knowing what she's going through

somebody said don't you even care

and do you let them do that everywhere

she slowly turned around, looked up and stared.

She said, "Please forgive them

they've been up all night

their father struggled

but he finally lost his fight

he went to heaven

in the middle of the night

so please forgive my children

they don't understand."

Chorus:

Everybody's busy with their own situation

everybody's lost in their own little worldbottled up, hurried up, trying to make a dream come true

they don't understand

everybody's livin' like there ain't no tomorrow

maybe we should stop and take a little time

cause you never really know what your neighbor's going through

they don't understand.

A man driving on the interstate

slowing down traffic making everybody wait

everybody's staring not knowing what he's going through

somebody honked from the passing lane

yelling out the window "hey I ain't got all day"

the old man looked around and he caught his eye.

He said, "Please forgive me

you know it's been a long life

my wife has passed away

and my kids don't have the time

I've been left all alone

and it's getting hard to drive

so please forgive me, children

they don't understand."

Repeat chorus

A man hanging on a wooden cross

giving everything to save the lost

everybody's staring

not knowing what he's going through

somebody said "you don't have a prayer

if you're the king come on down from there"

the man just turned his head

looked up and stared.

He said "please forgive them

for they have not seen the light

but they'll come to know me

when I come back to life

and go to heaven

to make everything all right

so please forgive your children

they don't understand.

Repeat chorus

A mother riding on a city bus

kids are yelling kickin' up a fuss

everybody's staring

not knowing what she's going through.

Read more at http://www.beliefnet.com/Entertainme...wtq9cAevhD3.99

• Moderators

My buddy has a weekly event he ties in with his Facebook Friends. He calls it Vinyl Sunday. Each Sunday morning one of his kids is seen holding a vinyl LP. The fam will eat their Sunday bacon and listen to a record. Awesome. Most stuff is 80s-centric. A real 80's fan. He is 15 years younger than me. His love of all 80's is a romanticized imagined version. I lived through it. I produced 3 albums for his band, Manganista, because of my understanding of what he was going for. (I should share some of that music here sometime).

Last week one of his offspring held up Ultravox - Vienna. The whole New Romantic thing was never my thing. Frilly shirts and pirate belts. But that album was no New Romantic "product"... Produced by Kraftwerk (and various Kraut Rock) producer Conny Plank, it has a very tough sound for something that might have been produced very, very slick. The singer Midge Ure is way over the top in his drama, and yet... I love that album. Here's a "deep cut'. the Voice - Ultravox

And of course... Vienna itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DuCIGvsbMA

• Members

Love me some Ultravox. "Vienna" totally stands up. I've wanted to rip off that 'bridge goes to double time and then dramatically slows back to original time' but I haven't found a place to do it. You hear it in half-time EDM (like dubstep) a lot though.

'Fade to Grey' (Visage, but close enough) also holds up amazingly:

• Members

Interesting collection of influences on this track....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tKaWqpelV8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgcc5V9Hu3g [h=2]Inspiration and recording[/h] The title of the song is a reference to the 1975 track "Hero" by the German band Neu!,[5] whom Bowie and Eno admired. It was one of the early tracks recorded during the album sessions, but remained an instrumental until towards the end of production.[3] The quotation marks in the title of the song, a deliberate affectation, were designed to impart an ironic quality on the otherwise highly romantic, even triumphant, words and music.[6][7][8][9] Producer Tony Visconti took credit for inspiring the image of the lovers kissing "by the wall", when he and backing vocalist Antonia Maaß embraced in front of Bowie as he looked out of the Hansa Studio window.[10] Bowie's habit in the period following the song's release was to say that the protagonists were based on an anonymous young couple but Visconti, who was married to Mary Hopkin at the time, contends that Bowie was protecting him and his affair with Maaß. Bowie confirmed this in 2003.[3]

The music, co-written by Bowie and Eno, has been likened to a Wall of Sound production, an undulating juggernaut of guitars, percussion and synthesizers.[10] Eno has said that musically the piece always "sounded grand and heroic" and that he had "that very word – heroes – in my mind" even before Bowie wrote the lyrics.[3] The basic backing track on the recording consists of a conventional arrangement of piano, bass guitar, rhythm guitar and drums. However the remaining instrumental additions are highly distinctive. These largely consist of synthesizer parts by Eno using an EMS VCS3 to produce detuned low-frequency drones, with the beat frequencies from the three oscillators producing a juddering effect. In addition, King Crimson guitarist Robert Fripp generated an unusual sustained sound by allowing his guitar to feed back and sitting at different positions in the room to alter the pitch of the feedback (pitched feedback). Tony Visconti rigged up a system, a creative misuse of gating that may be termed "multi-latch gating",[11] of three microphones to capture the epic vocal, with one microphone nine inches from Bowie, one 20 feet away and one 50 feet away. Only the first was opened for the quieter vocals at the start of the song, with the first and second opening on the louder passages, and all three on the loudest parts, creating progressively more reverb and ambience the louder the vocals became.[12] Each microphone is muted as the next one is triggered. "Bowie's performance thus grows in intensity precisely as ever more ambience infuses his delivery until, by the final verse, he has to shout just to be heard....The more Bowie shouts just to be heard, in fact, the further back in the mix Visconti's multi-latch system pushes his vocal tracks, creating a stark metaphor for the situation of Bowie's doomed lovers".[13]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%22Heroes%22_%28David_Bowie_song%29

• Moderators

Nice posts! I heard Passenger's Scare Away the Dark maybe half a year ago solo acoutic. I love the lyric. I love the tune. And while I can do without another whoa-oh-oh gang chorus till my end, I do like what he's done here. And I love that lyric... it... uh... speaks to me! :) And I bet to a lot of us here.

Well, we wish we were happier, thinner and fitter

We wish we weren't losers and liars and quitters

We want something more not just nasty and bitter

We want something real not just hash tags and Twitter

It's the meaning of life and it's streamed live on YouTube

But I bet Gangnam Style will still get more views

We're scared of drowning, flying and shooters

But we're all slowly dying in front of computers

• Members

Was watching TV, flipping around, and watched a bit of Warren Beatty's film Shampoo, which takes place on the eve of the 1968 presidential election.

This was playing on the radio as Beatty was driving to a party, then was magically playing on the stereo at the party.

• Moderators

I didn't know anything about Chip Taylor but I always wondered about Angel of the Morning.

Maybe the sun's light will be dim

and it won't matter anyhow.

If morning's echo says we ve sinned

well, it was what I wanted now

And if we're the victims of the night

I won't be blinded by light

There are some pretty good lines in that tune. I always thought the song handled the topic in a very sweet and poetic way. The vulnerable yet strong minded woman-child making a choice. I clearly remember being 8 or 9 as it was charting and being played in '68 and following the story and trying to make out what was going on. I got pretty close to getting it.

As a funny side note I just noticed... Wild Thing and Angel both have the same chord progression! Talk about getting some mileage from a progression!!!

Archived