Friday Influences Thread 08-22-14

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Be... all that you can be! Post an example of music that has influenced you. Why? So you can be one of us totally awesome people. We ARE rad, yes. But we're not elitists. You can be just as bitchen as us. Just post... and wait for your life to change. It's magical!

That song Stickboy posted the other day, Hero by Family of the Year? I mentioned I had posted it once myself some time back. I was so moved by it's honesty. I suppose for a young man it means one thing. For a man my age... it means something else. Perhaps. I'm that guy in this song. I just want to buy some new strings. I don't want to be anyone's hero.

And then you find yourself years later...

Yesterday I spent hours at the bank working out the details of transferring money from one place, to another. Money that will bail out a certain someone. And it's not my kid. She doesn't realize the extent of this bailout for her business. I don't want to be her hero. And yet, here I am. I just want new strings, play my guitar, hang, have fun. And yet... here I am. Telling you and not her.

Re-post for anyone who missed it.

[video=youtube;iMVc0vG4K_k]

• Members

Damien Rice is a bit old hat at this point... but his performance's are so damn intimate. Lisa Hannigan is cute... but needs to work on looking a little happier... like every once in a while. :)

[video=youtube;dRPwFAoQwxc]

• Members

Hero is pretty badass. It reminds me of stickboy's stuff, so I guess it's fitting that he would be the one to introduce us to it.

I ordered 10 more guitar wall hangers this week. That gives me a total of 12. There are now guitars in every room except the kitchen, which may or may not change :) I'm told guitars are supposed to stay in cases, because it's better for them... strings will last longer etc... F that. I like them out. And if I have 10 minutes before I have to go somewhere, I don't have to go dig out a case, take one out, and then put it up. When that's the case, I won't play that 10 minutes.

Those 10 minutes add up. I've written alot of songs that way. Pick up a guitar, get a new riff stuck in the head, go to the grocery store or whatever, have that riff stuck in the head come up with a lyric while at the grocery, come back and write it.

I'll always dig the hell out of the blues. I've been digging on the harmonica and guitar duo lately.

[video=youtube;4Bd-u7vZoi0]

• Moderators
Hero is pretty badass. It reminds me of stickboy's stuff, so I guess it's fitting that he would be the one to introduce us to it.

I ordered 10 more guitar wall hangers this week. That gives me a total of 12. There are now guitars in every room except the kitchen, which may or may not change :) I'm told guitars are supposed to stay in cases, because it's better for them... strings will last longer etc... F that. I like them out. And if I have 10 minutes before I have to go somewhere, I don't have to go dig out a case, take one out, and then put it up. When that's the case, I won't play that 10 minutes.

Those 10 minutes add up. I've written alot of songs that way. Pick up a guitar, get a new riff stuck in the head, go to the grocery store or whatever, have that riff stuck in the head come up with a lyric while at the grocery, come back and write it.

I never keep guitars in cases. I totally agree with you. What I haven't done is use the wall hanging system. They're on guitar stands and those take floor space. Do you use wall hangers in the living room etc.? I'd love that! The wife? Not so much. So they all stay in the studio unless I'm playing one.

Either way, having a guitar at the ready is key. In the case? What for? Get Elixer strings and they last plenty long enough. Who cares about string life if you're not playing! Right?

Great post Ryan. Totally agree. GET YER GITS OUT DEM BOXES IN YER HANDS!

• Members

That hero video sick posted had me glued watching it. Well done with it...I actually felt the guys pain when he was limpin around and trying to work out his shoulder....all things I have to do on a daily basis myself from years of hard labor and and getting banged around playing football, in my younger years.

• Members
Oh damn Rhino... I've got a bunch of Wall Hangers I'm not using. Is it too late to cancel your order?

Already on the walls. I'd say send me what you got, because I don't have all the guitars up yet, but I've already exhausted the available wall space.

Lee, yup. I live in a duplex, so I don't have as much space as a typical house. The living room, has a record player, two drum sets, marimba, guitars, amps etc... I can see how a wife might not go for that. The only reason I'm able to do it is because mine split a year ago, "started" {censored}ing somebody else a month later, and is having his baby.

It's all about lowering the activation energy for yourself, but you might not want to listen to me. I don't even have a couch anymore. Couches, especially set up in front of TVs, lead to a veggitated rhino.

I'm told that's weird. It makes perfect sense to me.

• Members

Already on the walls. I'd say send me what you got, because I don't have all the guitars up yet, but I've already exhausted the available wall space.

Lee, yup. It's all about lowering the activation energy for yourself, but you might not want to listen to me. I don't even have a couch anymore. Couches, especially set up in front of TVs, lead to a veggitated rhino.

I'm told that's weird. It makes perfect sense to me.

Here's my solution to running out of room for guitars.

guitars_zpsed22c7a9.jpg

• Members

Listening to Lisa Gerrard's new solo record, Twilight Kingdom. She is the female half of Dead Can Dance, one of my favorites. I was lucky enough to see her in concert on her first solo tour back in 1994. Saw her with Dead Can Dance twice. She's extraordinary.

[video=youtube;-vG1RInXX4Y]

• Members

This is an old acquaintance... his name is McGowan and I have a huge amount of respect for him. Love his voice... very unique. Did a gig with him once... played the Rhodes. He lives somewhere in NYC now and I wasn't really sure what he'd been up to until I found this (which is a couple years old).

[video=youtube;ETJn6mtI00o]

• Members

Woh boy... this one was a guilty pleasure. I really got into this album back in 1989 (I was 15)... listening now, it is so totally 80s... wow. I played the sax back then and had learned this one note for note... and hey, as a 15 year old with all of my romantic experience... these lyrics really spoke to me.

smiley-indifferent

[video=youtube;K0zx2CpEAUw]

Archived