5 Things Dan Wilson has Learned About Songwriting

mbfrancis

• Members
Really wonderful article in Keyboard Magazine: http://www.keyboardmag.com/artists/1...gwriting/48269

Really good article, good ideas. I do some of them, but that first one--work on your music every day, inspired or not--, really hits home.

When I had a book contract with Harper Collins/Avon -- and in fact, long before I even had a book contract -- I made it my job to sit down in front of the computer every day and write at least one page but preferably one chapter of my first novel. I didn't always do it, but that was my goal.

Then, after the first novel was published, and I found out that I had to finish the second one in 60 days, I was no longer just writing at home on my computer. I took notepads with me everywhere I went. I would write while I was waiting for the bus or the train, or while I was riding on the bus, on the train. Since there are a few comic scenes in all my novels, I would often be laughing out loud while the rest of the passengers were giving me weird looks.

After that second book, I had more time, and I really made it my job to write every single damn day for at least 2 - 4 hours, if not more. I just sat down and did it, and I loved doing it!

Come to think of it, I had the same habit back in the 1980s and early 90s when I was writing screenplays on spec. I'd sit down and work on the script every day. None of those scripts have been made into films (yet), but I sold one and optioned three of them! Same goes for the musical I wrote during that same time period. Not a day went by that I wasn't working on some aspect of the book or lyrics (and sometimes the music). I remember coming up with a really several cool musical idea while I was relaxing in the hot tub or in the sauna at my gym!

There was one week a few years ago where I tried to write a new song every day. In fact, I did, but only two of them were any good. Justin Os was very fond of one of those songs -- "The Life of the Human Body" -- (as was I).

Jeez! I just looked at the clock! I just spent the last 15 minutes writing this post and reminiscing. I think there should be a 6th rule of songwriting: write the damn song instead of writing about writing it...

• Moderators

Wonderful article. Thanks for posting that Martin. Some highlights for me...

“You’re better off staying and working, whether you’re inspired or not. The muse doesn’t always visit. But when she does, you need to be in your studio, working. If the muse visits your studio when you’re at the bar, she can’t do you any good.”

And

This is a life you’re trying to create here, an artist’s life. It’s not a windfall, or a payday, or a brand. Your biggest and most complex creative project is the creation of an artist’s life.

• Members

“You’re better off staying and working, whether you’re inspired or not. The muse doesn’t always visit. But when she does, you need to be in your studio, working. If the muse visits your studio when you’re at the bar, she can’t do you any good.”

What kind of muse do you guys have? Personally, this statement doesn't really ring true for me at all. 90% of the time, a pocket recorder or even just the voice memo function on a non-smart phone is sufficient for me to get any ideas down when the muse visits outside the studio.

In fact, even when in the studio, I find it far easier to press one button and instantly get an idea down on a tape (yes I said tape) recorder. I suppose it depends completely on what kind of ideas one has, but do some people actually fire up their computer, load their sequencer, set up microphones/interfaces/mixers, and then sit down and record to hard disk when they have a brief snippet of an idea? I suppose that would save the trouble of eventually reviewing and transferring ideas off of a tape, but to me, that cost would be far outweighed by the benefits of a super quick and easy little tape recorder.

• Moderators

What kind of muse do you guys have? Personally, this statement doesn't really ring true for me at all. 90% of the time, a pocket recorder or even just the voice memo function on a non-smart phone is sufficient for me to get any ideas down when the muse visits outside the studio.

In fact, even when in the studio, I find it far easier to press one button and instantly get an idea down on a tape (yes I said tape) recorder. I suppose it depends completely on what kind of ideas one has, but do some people actually fire up their computer, load their sequencer, set up microphones/interfaces/mixers, and then sit down and record to hard disk when they have a brief snippet of an idea? I suppose that would save the trouble of eventually reviewing and transferring ideas off of a tape, but to me, that cost would be far outweighed by the benefits of a super quick and easy little tape recorder.

​The studio in the quote was an art studio. The point being, you don't wait for inspiration, you go find it. Quote was taken out of context.

• Members

The point is that if I just waited for the muse to come - and to catch on a a device or record it - I would write very very few songs. I have to sit down to *work*, inspired or not, and then she comes.

“I write only when inspiration strikes. Fortunately it strikes every morning at nine o'clock sharp.” - W. Somerset Maugham

The War of Art is good book, similar subject matter.

• Members

The muse as female (with the artist then envisioned as male) is the wrong way around for me. The muse visits me (for fun I guess) and I end up doing the hard work of delivery.

I do jot tons of lyrics and snatches of lyrics down. Sometimes I have to stop doing that and say to myself, "ok, the next one I stay with until it's an entire song." Or else I'll just go on jotting ideas and quick sketches and so on.

You have to trust your Muse to some extent. Ok, so something was whispered in your ear while you were pumping gas and it seemed great and you've forgotten it. If you really have a Muse, you'll get more and probably better later at a more convenient time. It's not so random as that - you're not trading stocks at high speed or something - you're the artistic type every day whether you are capturing something in permanent form or not.

99% of what's needed is just some simple encouragement. Most of the tricks of the trade you hear about, the sorts of things that trick yourself into being more productive or more inspired, etc - if you have any artistic gift at all, and live a real life and give yourself a little time to feel and think and remember, how can you not be inspired?

nat whilk ii

Archived