OT: Need Bass Amp and SS Bass Reco

mbfrancis

• Members

Hola--

I'm looking for help/recommendations on two bass-related subjects, figured I'd ask at the same time.

1) Bass Amp – At church I sit in on bass sometimes and we basically need the smallest bass amp that still packs some bottom end. It's just for the group for monitoring – not for the congregation – but if it's not full, the pianist will just naturally start playing low octaves. It's a massive, boomy church, so we need it to sound good to each other as an ensemble while we play (can't rely on any house speakers or monitors). Must have solid low end. Any suggestions? Preferably something under $300 used, but whatever is going to do the job.

2) Short-scale bass – I have realized that I am not man enough to play a full scale bass. I am at peace with this. Question: which short scale bass – preferably under $200-300 – sounds best for recording? (I.e. not for church or through an amp.) There are a bunch of Fender Squier models and a cool Epiphone SG, but for my basic rock/pop, what will sound the best/fullest. Don't care what it looks like. Happy to mod something too (swap pick ups, etc.).

Thanks all…rock!

• Members

Can't help with the amp, but with the short scale bass………I went through the search a few months back and tried the Epi SG bass and a bunch of others. And because I wanted it specifically for recording, I wound up with a Fender Mustang bass - and I love it - I don't have to fight with those 1st 5 frets like a long scale. Good clean bass sound.

So if you are on the dreaded budget, I would recommend the Squier Mustang bass with the Duncan Designed pups.

I played the Squier Jaguar bass but didn't like it as much as the mustang.

• Members

My bass tones come from an original SG bass ('69 EB3). That short scale sure makes things easier and the dual pickup controls let you dial things in pretty nicely.

Don't know how the newer Epiphone SG bass compares.

For a nice round thump I like tape wound strings. I use D'addario

This amp looks good to me......have a slightly different model that I like:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FQxp7AodP0cAfA

*wave*

• Moderators

There's a short scale Fender Jaguar bass that is getting great word of mouth. Haven't tried it, plan to.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...iECxoCKa3w_wcB

As for amps, Ashdown is fantastic. Their made in china line is great too. I have one of these and love it! Cheap, great tone. 300 watts and 2-10s. I use an ext 15 in addition for big rooms but the 2-10s sounds perfect for your gig.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-ASHDOWN-EVO-II-MAG-300-109794133-i3576783.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CjwKEAjwsdafBRC2 rYuDuYXk2TESJACsUN_up14_Lgqnn7BkA8AwizQ8BUYLNrVtRl SkOMHCqqDxlRoCSqrw_wcB&kwid=productads-plaid^85460931162-sku^109794133@ADL1U@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^44639487282

Archived