Friday Influences Thread 08-15-14!

Lee Knight

• Moderators

Post it!

One of my all time favorite lyrics. Ira Gershwin! IRA! Some guy named George doing the music. I really needed to find this Rosemary Clooney version and I did! Concord Jazz label from the 80's. I love this song but frankly most singers take too many liberties with it. Frank, Ella, Nat, Tony. They're all great of course, but for me... this is the version. Just the song. Just that lyric. And Rosemary's diction and heartwarming personality... beautiful. And HAPPY FRIDAY! And give this a listen won't you? And read along with these masterfully simple and elegant lyrics. And...

[video=youtube;F0JY5dXRtJg]

It's very clear

Our love is here to stay ;

Not for a year

But ever and a day.

The radio and the telephone

And the movies that we know

May just be passing fancies,

And in time may go !

But, oh my dear,

Our love is here to stay.

Together we're

Going a long, long way

In time the Rockies may crumble,

Gibralter may tumble,

They're only made of clay,

But our love is here to stay.

• Moderators

And one more from the same great album for those interested. Not For Me here contains an old traditional style "verse". For those that don't know, "Verse" at that time, referred to the lyric intro. Not really in the style of the song to follow either. I'm not a real fan of those old style verses and that holds true here. I'm sure many of you are and that's wonderful. If you agree with me, skip right to :50 for the song proper. It's a beauty.

Ira...

With love to lead the way

I found more clouds of grey

Than any Russian play could guarantee

[video=youtube;O2sfB1T4NlE]

• Members

I may have posted this before... this album was the album of choice on our southern tour in 2001.

[video=youtube;UiFBH7-v6LM]

I remember arriving in Charleston, SC completely hungover from the night before where I had...er... overdone it and managed to get myself thrown out of an afterparty at someone's house (let's not tell that story... just know that it involved fireworks at sunrise). But I digress... we arrive at the venue and it is a BEAUTIFUL venue... turns out we're opening for a really popular local band, The Blue Dogs, who drew massive crowds. Not a good day to be feeling my worst. Got through the show but it was rough going... Anyway, here is one from the Blue Dogs... they were great!

[video=youtube;KBRvOQDsgrI]

• Members

Playing with Chris Hillman last week was Herb Pederson. He used to play with The Dillards.

[video=youtube;G0l-ywr8DW8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0l-ywr8DW8

Here are the DIllards with John Hartford.

[video=youtube;G4tSydBjDzQ]

Bill Monroe once said bluegrass is "Scottish Bagpipes and ole-time fiddlin'. It's Methodist and Holiness and Baptist. It's blues and jazz, and it has a high lonesome sound."

• Moderators

Hillman grew up just a couple miles from where I live in North County San Diego. I think he's living here again because he's always playing local. I absolutely loved his late 80's early 90's band The Desert Rose Band. Great country pop that dosn't suck

[video=youtube;1jbEr0EG78U]

• Members
Hillman grew up just a couple miles from where I live in North County San Diego. I think he's living here again because he's always playing local. I absolutely loved his late 80's early 90's band The Desert Rose Band. Great country pop that dosn't suck

[video=youtube;1jbEr0EG78U]

Love 80's and 90's country. Wish it came back today. bands like restless heart, diamond rio, lonestar, Shenandoah...I can go on and on. These groups had great harmony.

• Moderators
Nice combination of Shenandoah and Alison Krauss

​[video=youtube;OdqcwqnCgGE]

Yeah. That era was great. Cheesy in a lot of ways, but the writing was so damn good. They seem to have left that whole sensibility behind. Corny yet great corny...

Somewhere in the vicinity of the heart

I feel somethin hittin me awful hard

I don't know where it's callin me

I just know it starts

Somewhere in the vicinity of the heart

• Members

David Crosby, preceded usually by his reputation as the quintessential self-destructive curmudgeon, is, disregarding all the static and drama and Entertainment Today-level anecdotes, a damn good singer-songwriter.

He's got a new one, produced in his son's studio (yeah, it sounds just one level under a fully pro-level production, but that doesn't bother me)

Hey DC, you should write more stuff and put out more solo albums!

Radio

[video=youtube_share;gbD71ychUO8]http://youtu.be/gbD71ychUO8

listen for Knopfler on this one - What's Broken

[video=youtube_share;bak7wuJEQr8]http://youtu.be/bak7wuJEQr8

The Clearing

maybe a little Phil Keaggy influence in this one?

[video=youtube_share;4YwfRZlIm08]http://youtu.be/4YwfRZlIm08

Laughing

an old favorite of mine from ages ago - just love the bass

[video=youtube_share;Hug_ovoGFOU]

• Members
Playing with Chris Hillman last week was Herb Pederson. He used to play with The Dillards.

I remember the Dillards from the early '70s. I had a couple of their LPs.

Here they are doing Nilsson's "The Rainmaker," (co-written with Bill Martin).

[video=youtube;JZSVEWUdU9k]

Lennon & McCartney's "I've Just Seen a Face."

[video=youtube;k2PAiJyyBbc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2PAiJyyBbc

"Single Saddle," with a lyric by Hal David.

[video=youtube;hBlOSejsjqc]

• Members
And one more from the same great album for those interested. Not For Me here contains an old traditional style "verse". For those that don't know' date=' "Verse" at that time, referred to the lyric [i']intro. [/i]Not really in the style of the song to follow either. I'm not a real fan of those old style verses and that holds true here. I'm sure many of you are and that's wonderful. If you agree with me, skip right to :50 for the song proper. It's a beauty.

Yes, some of the traditional verses are a bit too "modern" for their times, leaving us scratching our heads about who Beatrice Fairfax might be. Still I like the internal rhyme on the second-to-last line.

Old Man Sunshine, listen, you,

never tell me dreams come true.

Just try it, and I'll start a riot.

Beatrice Fairfax don't you dare,

ever tell me she will care.

I'm certain, It's the final curtain.

Don't want to hear from any cheerful Pollyannas,

who tell me love will find a way, it's all bananas.

Interestingly, Chet Baker skips the intro's lyric (below) and sings the rest. But he opens by playing the intro's melody on his horn, which oddly makes it sound a little like "Taking a Chance on Love," a Vernon Duke tune.

I've also seen Vernon Duke credited for co-writing "Our Love Is Here to Stay," which, from what I understand, was George's last composition. (Maybe he hadn't quite finished it before he died, who knows?)

[video=youtube;R_f_mMJAezM]

[video=youtube;zojVj99LIi8]

Vernon Duke wrote "I Can't Get Started" (with lyric by Ira) "April in Paris" (lyric by Yip Harburg) and "Autumn in New York" (lyric by Vernon Duke). Under his real name, Vladimir Dukelsky, he wrote a few little things like symphonies, concertos, chamber music, and at least one ballet for the Ballets Russes.

Here's my favorite Vernon Duke song (the lyric is by Yip Harburg):

[video=youtube;HUx9q047n4E]

[video=youtube;GU8AwOPrVhk]

• Members

The Philadelphia music scene tragically lost a very unique, young musician this week. I didn't personally know him, but I've seen him play a number of times. He was a percussionist who specialized in the Hang Drum. Here is a video of him doing his thing.

[video=youtube;UNJswfXKJ3s]

• Moderators
I'd forgotten all about this song until it turned up on my Youtube list this morning. Nice and melodic.

Yellow River 1970

[video=youtube;zGoHQ7c5I2I]

This is the stuff that formed me and my love of pop music, I swear. I know this song very well.

I was 11 when it was overtaking the AM airways in Los Angeles. The Real Don Steele Show on LA's KHJ! Bringing you the ultrahip Boss Radio babies! Yelllllow RIVER! It reminds me of zinc oxide on the noses of hot chicks in bikinis and me thinking, "I'm going to touch me some boobs some day..." Chevy Bel Airs jacked up with Mag wheels or Impalas lowered to the ground. Choose your flavor.

I love it.

Archived