Your Most Unusual Writing Surface

jabney

• Members

We all know this: if you don't write it down, that neat line may be lost forever.

So what's the most unusual thing you've written a lyric fragment on?

I'll start. I wrote the lyrics for a complete first verse on an attorney's business card. With editing. Since my handwriting is difficult to read, regardless of how much room I have to write in, I was eventually able to decipher what I had written, and transcribe it over into Open Office.

How about you folks?

best,

John

• Members

Inspiration surfaced around 11:20 in the morning while nailing vinyl siding on the side of a house on a ladder last year. I wrote of the intelligence of nature, and of the movement of frequency through varied densities of medium using a grease pencil on the back of the grey vinyl siding, designed to look like wood grain.

Fun fun. The small square synthetic wood piece is now stored in a box of other strange bits of insanity somewhere in another part of the state.

Kaleb

• Members

Originally posted by NoSurrender

Was standing in line in the bank and had to write on the checking balance book.

Does that guarantee it'll be a hit? You know, uh, "money in the bank" and all that?

I've sent lyrics in e-mails from my work account to my home account. Other than that, it's legal pads, notebooks, and random scraps of paper.

Deef

• Members

Prolly not unusual, but I keep a small notepad in my car. It's not uncommon for me to be writing and driving down the road at the same time. Sometimes I'll take a different way home in order to catch red trafic lights so I can work out the lyrics a bit better.

The lyrics that are written while I'm keeping an eye on the road are the funnest to try to translate after I get home.

• Members

Originally posted by Deef

Does that guarantee it'll be a hit? You know, uh, "money in the bank" and all that?

Deef

Donno about the hit... the song is still unfinished after more than a year :)

BTW, here's the line:

Watching these people walking, living lifelines in the cold

Waiting, the edge of a moment; story that's worth to be told

• Members

Originally posted by NoSurrender

Watching these people walking, living lifelines in the cold

Waiting, the edge of a moment; story that's worth to be told

Well, if it's worth to be told, get back to the damn bank and finish the song! :p

Deef

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've done the bar/restaurant napkin thing.. but the most unusual was the top of a large garbage can.

I was visiting a client for some all afternoon meetings. We broke for a few minutes and I went outside to have a quick smoke. I had an idea, scrawled it on there, and came back the next day and copied it on a piece of paper. It made for a more productive meeting after that since I was kinda worried that I would forget what my new idea was and now I could focus 100% on the client.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wrote lyrics on a bar top at pub. Realized they'd probably clean theat off, so I wrote it on the concrete floor with a crayon. Thought that might be cleaned, so I wrote it on the wall in the pisser, knowing they never clean those damn things--irony of it--Since I wrote it 3 times, I had it properly memorized, didn't have to go back for reference...

Archived