Is this Craig's post legitimate? Useful? Worth checking out?

Delmont

• Members

Hi, songwriting advisors -

As some of you will recall, I've been trying to figure out how to sell some of my music. And taking the advice I've been getting from you all. Tonight, I came across this on the local Craigslist musicians page:

-----------------------

[h=2]Interested In A Barter?[/h] Veteran songwriter with numerous releases by indie artists and labels seeks to barter with singer and musician. I was formerly a manager and am currently an independent publisher and songplugger. Prefer self-contained artists and producers with their own recording studio.

To date, I have written over 200 songs and secured about 25 publishing and licensing deals both here and abroad. Some of these offers were for me, others were for the recording artist, and many were for both of us. However, none of these deals offer payment for advances or demo costs.

Prefer "radio ready" recordings over full demos. If you record my songs, I'll be glad to pitch your work to the industry. It's a win-win for everyone, as most industry contacts inquire about the artist or producer as much as the song. They usually inquire about other material from the artist or producer.

Please attach an audio or video clip of your work. Cheers.

--------------------------

What is this person actually offering? Does it sound like an honest offer or a scam?

I do my recording on a 24-track, 24-bit, eight-input Tascam 2488neo compact disc recording deck.

Is the ad worth responding to? If it is, what are the questions I should be asking?

Thanks!

De

l

• Members

He wants someone to bear the entire cost and go to the immense trouble of playing and recording "radio-ready" (has to mean professionally played, recorded, mixed, and mastered) versions of his songs so he can pitch the songs to the industry??

And maybe something will come of it for you, he says. He will "pitch your work" for you. I guess that's what he's offering as a "barter".

How about he pays you a decent rate for producing his "radio-ready" tracks for him?

Sounds like a broke songwriter with no band who would like to score some publishing deals and can't pay musicians or a studio to produce demos for his material so he's hoping someone will just walk up and do it for him for free - well, for some vague promise to put a good word in for you with "the industry".

He may be a nice guy, who knows? But it sounds like a dead end, a dry hole, a tank with no gas, a tree falling in the desert. At best.

nat whilk ii

• Members

It could be legit on some level. To some degree. Assuming what he says is true (big assumption in the music biz -- usually the wise course is to assume it's mostly hot air held together with white lies or worse), he's probably mostly licensing the results as one-offs for low-budget TV & movies, which have found it easier at times to simply license an existing recording (if it's cheap enough) than producing much original music, particularly for song type material (the rest can be handled by a MIDI musico in his one man projects studio). Such licensing doesn't pay ongoing royalties, but might add up to as much as a couple thousand dollars for a song. Such licenses seldom demand exclusivity so it's typically possible (but probably not that likely) to be able to re-use the song for some purpose or to re-license. That said, the licenser may not want something that's been used elsewhere.

The business arrangements side of this sound really vague.

IMPORTANT MUSIC BIZ FACT: In the music business, in my experience, the vaguer things are, the ever-more remote the possibility that any money you think you've been promised will ever be seen.

This is very much how many in the music business operate.

If they can sweet talk you out of something with vague promises, they will. They will be reluctant to commit details to writing, and may be reluctant to sign contracts at all, often trying to delay the signing until the talent (that would be you) is in so deep he just wants to see something for the time and sweat he's already invested. At that point, the heretofore unsigned contract is pulled out and significant modifications (all to the benefit of the music biz figure) are made to the contract, Or -- if possible -- the can is just kicked down the road farther if they think they can get away with it. The longer between the promises and the contract -- if any -- the less of the original promises you will see in it. And if no contract is ever signed, it's likely you'll never see a dime or maybe just get a few bucks to go away.

Welcome to the music biz. wink_zpsa9897a65.gif

Archived