Drowned Cicadas - WIP from the talk about whatever thread

rhino55

• Members

I enjoyed the discussion about theory (theery for Bee) in the talk about whatever thread. I went to make a demo of the chords I was playing to add to the discussion, and before you know it, I had slowed it down, changed the count a bit, and took to songwriting. So as to not clutter that thread with with something off topic, I thought I'd make a new one.

Lyrically this is just kind of what came out. I've been sitting on the term Drowned Cicadas for a minute, I thought it'd make an awesome band name, but I think it'll work in a song. My question for you jokers is does it need a chorus or bridge type thing or will it work as a riff and verse with the drowned cicadas bit being repeated a couple times (not as quickly as on the demo). If it does need another part, where does it go chordally? I tried a few things, and as Os mentioned in one of the comments, it shifted the key towards G and then it didn't feel right coming back to the other part.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12864746&q=hi

lyrics coming once I write some out

• Members
My question for you jokers is does it need a chorus or bridge type thing or will it work as a riff and verse with the drowned cicadas bit being repeated a couple times (not as quickly as on the demo).

Like it the way your doing it without a chorus....works for me...I like it so far

• Members

Cool. The fact that you only really sing over the Am-C-F gives it a totally different feel than it appeared in print. (Still sounds like G mix to me, though. :)) Did you drop the Bb?

I like it as is - a nice short ditty - but if you want to extend it it probably could use a fresh movement.

• Members

First pass at lyrics

Drowned cicadas

Never knew they were gonna die

Caught up singing

Down by the creek side

No way to know

The water would be this high

Shouldn’t have followed

Those bastard horse flies

Already shed their golden skin

The time had come to fly

Drowned cicadas

Another possible angle I could take, would be that they knew they were about to die since cicadas typically have a pretty short life cycle.

• Members

and after playing around with the lyric a bit

Drowned cicadas

The time had come to fly

Set up and started singing

Down by the creek side

No way to know

The water would be this high

Shouldn’t have followed

Those bastard horse flies

Drowned cicadas

• Moderators

How cool, Rhino! Personally, I like the first version. "Caught up singing" right away puts a different, fantastical reason for them getting distracted. Very different but feels so right... in a song... where you're all caught up singing.

• Members

I'm thinking instead of "shouldn't have followed",

now all that's left are these

Can you work a bridge in somehow??

Or instead maybe 4 ms instrumental intro with a riff of some sort

that gets repeated with some variations before/after each verse...

Not to water it down, but to fill it out.

Of course a slide electric is mandatory in this sort of situation, but you knew that.

nat whilk ii

• Members

Definitely agree that a Bridge would benefit the song.

Suggested Bridge content: The US cicadas down the eastern seaboard remain dormant for 17 years.

They come out and call for a mate, they mate, and then it's good night Irene.

So it's not surprising that they drown from being inattentive.

Cicadas up and down the trees

Singing for a mate

Got something on their mind

Please understand their fate

17 years without a girl

And one night for to find

Drowned cicadas everywhere

Had something on their mind

Or something along these lines…….maybe…….maybe not.

• Members

Did another demo with an added bridge. Didn't see everybody's comments but will address them momentarily.

Here is how it sits as of last night.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12865608&q=hi

Drowned cicadas

By the creek side

Got caught up singing

Just waiting around to die

It was time to fly

No way to know

The water was gonna get this high

Probably shouldn’t have followed

These bastard horse flies

Drowned cicadas

Sing until they die

Ooooo oooo oooo

Sing until they die

A couple of questions I have. Does the bridge work? Would 'sang until they died' work better? The grammar is kind of bugging me on that, but I think it sang well as is.

• Members
How cool' date=' Rhino! Personally, I like the first version. "Caught up singing" right away puts a different, fantastical reason for them getting distracted. Very different but feels so right... in a song... where you're all caught up singing.[/quote']

Glad you dig. Yours was the last comment I saw before I made the demo. Do you think the rearrangement of the first verse works as is? Also has a nod to Townes, which I thought was sort of clever. :)

• Members
I'm thinking instead of "shouldn't have followed",

now all that's left are these

Can you work a bridge in somehow??

Or instead maybe 4 ms instrumental intro with a riff of some sort

that gets repeated with some variations before/after each verse...

Not to water it down, but to fill it out.

Of course a slide electric is mandatory in this sort of situation, but you knew that.

nat whilk ii

'Now all that's left' yep, that's getting used. Thanks.

Got a bridge now. Not sure if it adds enough variance.

Good call with the slide.

• Members
Definitely agree that a Bridge would benefit the song.

Suggested Bridge content: The US cicadas down the eastern seaboard remain dormant for 17 years.

They come out and call for a mate, they mate, and then it's good night Irene.

So it's not surprising that they drown from being inattentive.

Cicadas up and down the trees

Singing for a mate

Got something on their mind

Please understand their fate

17 years without a girl

And one night for to find

Drowned cicadas everywhere

Had something on their mind

Or something along these lines…….maybe…….maybe not.

That's really good. Really good.

I wonder if exchanging the ooo ooo ooo in the current bridge with something like 'they sang for love' would get some of that across. It obviously wouldn't go into much detail. hmmmm.... that's good food for thought.

• Moderators

This is cool! The main riff could really be done likeLittle Feat if you wanted to. I hear an octave Bill Payne piano playing along with your riff. Then that Richie Hayward take on a New Orleans funk. Anyway you work it up, it's gonna be good.

I like the bridge fine. It doesn't offer a lift as much as a respite, which is cool. The very first line at the top of the singing at V1 is a bit too "Wild Horses". But the other lyrics in the same place don't sound like it. You may want to move the initial phrase to the same melody as the others.

Cool tune

• Members
This is cool! The main riff could really be done likeLittle Feat if you wanted to. I hear an octave Bill Payne piano playing along with your riff. Then that Richie Hayward take on a New Orleans funk. Anyway you work it up, it's gonna be good.

I like the bridge fine. It doesn't offer a lift as much as a respite, which is cool. The very first line at the top of the singing at V1 is a bit too "Wild Horses". But the other lyrics in the same place don't sound like it. You may want to move the initial phrase to the same melody as the others.

Cool tune

Oh man, that would be cool. Good catch with the "wild horses" I didn't start singing right away on that Am chord so there are a few extra strums before, which I think is what threw it off.

• Members

I listened to the new one and the old one, and I much prefer your first link. To me, that low energy vibe is the key to the song and the more emphatic delivery of version 2 disturbs that. Those high notes are what create the "Wild Horses" issue, so going back fixes that as well.

It might also be worth not ending the bridge in the same F-Bb manner because it takes away some of the momentum created by the new chord. Maybe replace it the first time around and use it the second time as a way to transition back to another verse (if you are going to do that).

Or, another idea is moving the bridge up to between the 2nd and 3rd stanzas and making it more of an AABA structure. All you'd need to do is replace the "sing until they die" line since that hasn't arrived yet.

Archived