Help Advise Shopping Song

Tombolino

• Members

Hi

Not much interest in Music Biz forum for my thread :(

If there is a music biz lawyer in this forum it would be great

I have a good friend with a Latin pop song he made that has comercial potential. He has had it for 1-2yrs and hasnt done anything with it. He doesnt know how to shop it. In the music biz, both of us are nobodies at this time, so its not like he or I think that a publisher will jump all over us and oofer us the world, but we do think that with persistence, selling and networking something could happen----to clarify, we are not performers, just songwriters.

I have some very good industry contacts and have offered to shop it for him. Initially I proposed that we copyright it as co-authors 50/50. Even though he wrote it, its sitting there collecting dust. The 50/50 idea is just a business idea. Its not that I really want to be recognized as having written the song, so the issue here is not a moral/ego one, its a practical business solution trying to creaye a win/win situation

If he agreed to the 50/50, I would have an incentive to shop it and invest my time and resources. Yesterday we spoke, and he said he alreday copyrighted it and counteroffered that him and I make a contract and agree to x% benefit for me from whatever could happen with the song once it was bought.

Neither him nor I really know enough to structure such a type of one on one contract, and I would prefer not to depend on him to pay me whatever x% of roylaties, radio spins, happens in the future. How would I track this? Would I have to call and bill him every month? He could at some point decide to not pay me.

In a nutshell Im thinking of going back and saying: "You are not doing anything with your song. You can let it sit there and make no $$ or you can do the 50/50 and make tomething happen with my connections and sales skills". If he agreed I would ask him to re-register/copyright the song to both our names. The 50/50 deal would take out my conern of wondering what money would I really make in the future and not depend on a contract with him that he may not fulfill

DO you Understand me?

pls advise

thanks

Archived