Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hit the A button and there is a link to use to embed vids.

Comment

Herb Alpert. He went from doing what eventually became background music for cheesy TV game shows...

... to a #1 hit as a vocalist (a Burt Bacharach/Hal David song that had been written years earlier but never saw the light of day till Alpert asked Bacharach if he had any old tunes lying around) ...

... back to doing background music (on the Top 40 this time).

He also created A&M records, recording artists like Waylon Jennings, Sérgio Mendes, The Sandpipers, We Five, The Carpenters, Lee Michaels, Captain and Tennille, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Quincy Jones, Stealers Wheel, Gallagher and Lyle, Rita Coolidge, Wes Montgomery, Paul Desmond, Cat Stevens, Paul Williams. Joan Baez, Phil Ochs Billy Preston, Joe Cocker, Procol Harum, Humble Pie, Fairport Convention, Free, The Move, Supertramp, the Ozark Mountain Daredevils, Chuck Mangione, Squeeze, Peter Frampton the Police, The Brothers Johnson, the Go-Go's, Bryan Adams, Suzanne Vega, Jeffrey Osborne, Oingo Boingo, Human League, and more...
      Last edited by LCK; 07-18-2014, 03:43 PM.
      "I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

Jeez... I waited way too long to finally check out the band Jellyfish. I've been listening to them all afternoon... awesomeness.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Knight View Post
          WTF? And then I heard this toy music and I thought... why? Why would these weird robot guys make this, is this music? Make this music? Freaking Nazi Robot slicked back hair pasty white dorks!!!!!

By the 3rd cut we were sold. Great stuff.
          Oh, that is so awesome. Man, it must have sounded revolutionary in the 70s. Depeche Mode sounded weird to me in 1981!

Comment

Well it's not Cannibal Corpse, but in my teens I was a huge industrial fan. Loved me some Skinny Puppy:

Nitzer Ebb:

and especially Front 242:

I honestly don't know if any of this has had any influence on my current output, but I do have some embarrassing recordings from 89-90 that I suspect got this out of my system.
            Last edited by mbfrancis; 07-18-2014, 06:08 PM.

Comment

When I need a dose of melodic joy, I reach for Orchestra Baobab

'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
              CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

Townes Van Zandt, "Nothin.'"

"I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

Here's a lesser-known Irving Berlin tune, "Isn't This a Lovely Day (to Be Caught in the Rain)," introduced by Fred Astaire in Top Hat.

Last edited by LCK; 07-19-2014, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Magic Slim and the Teardrops have been an important influence on me in one way or another.
                    This instrumental of theirs has great bite and shows musicians really getting it to cook.

'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
                    CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

This band had me completely captivated for an hour in New Orleans this year... I was like a wet-pantied school girl... screaming and begging for more... dude on bass may be my favorite bass player to watch ever.

There is so much talent in this band, it's almost unfair.

Last edited by bee3; 07-20-2014, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgitplayer View Post
                        Magic Slim and the Teardrops have been an important influence on me in one way or another. This instrumental of theirs has great bite and shows musicians really getting it to cook.
                        I think Magic Slim was the first blues show I attended in Chicago.
                        Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Originally posted by oldgitplayer View Post
                          Magic Slim and the Teardrops have been an important influence on me in one way or another.

This instrumental of theirs has great bite and shows musicians really getting it to cook.
                          "Cook" is right, man! I could listen to this all day...

Comment

Song to the Siren... originally by Tim Buckley, famously covered by This Mortal Coil, a stellar version by Brendan Perry of Dead Can Dance and now I've just discovered Robert Plant's version. When a song is good... it is good.

Comment

Dead Can Dance - Rakim. I saw them live twice... once in about 1997 and once in 2012. Love this band.

Comment

Jimmy Webb, Brian Wilson harmonies and Jerry Douglas on dobro. What?Jerry Douglas? Playing "MacArthur Park?" (His solo starts at 4:43 and it's crazy great.)

Yes, this is a mixed bag, but then the song itself is a mixed bag.

Last edited by LCK; 07-22-2014, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X