Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the record the opening bass line is a deliberate lift. The idea was to use the simplest bass line imaginable (the first chord progression I learned on guitar at 12 yrs old), in part because a bunch of weird chords are about to get thrown at you. If you don't think it works, that's fine, but it was deliberate - it didn't help that I asked upfront if I was ripping anything off without exempting the bass...

Comment

Not to bump my own thread, but I've been trying to see if the chorus of this - which I love - rips anything off. You all have pretty encyclopedic pop music brains, so the fact that no one said anything was encouraging. The only thing I can find that it's close to is Georgy Girl - it has some common notes, the opening lift up to the 5th, the jump down to the 5th. But it's definitely not a rip-off.

In case anyone's wondering yes I'll change the opening bass line, but I'm trying to find something equally simple that hasn't been done. Very happy with this and very happy for everyone's feedback, gracias!

Comment

Nailed it, as far as I'm concerned. Folks are right that it's reminiscent of other tunes, but so be it. Musicians are magpies. The atonal chord changes with peculiar resolutions make it.

I agree with Genevieve: life isn't lived, it's waged. Glad someone's finally said so. I could easily fall in love with her. In fact, I think I just did. Which tells me the song is GOOD.

Thanks for the post!

Del

Comment

Originally posted by Delmont View Post
          I agree with Genevieve: life isn't lived, it's waged. Glad someone's finally said so. I could easily fall in love with her. In fact, I think I just did. Which tells me the song is GOOD.l
          Oh thank you, thank you, thank you!
          Yeah I'm in love with her, too - that's why I can't mock her *too* much.

Comment

No I don't think it rips anything off. It's nothing like Georgy Girl. Although I do hear what you're talking about. As far as the bassline goes, how about keeping the same exact rhythm but adding some chromaticism in like you do on your chord runs. For instance, C... C-G#... G#-F... Bb-A-G#-G. The G# lower than C, the F higher. You're better at this than I, but the point being by keeping the rhythm the same you allude to those songs and there feel that you whack it up with some black notes.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Knight View Post
              No I don't think it rips anything off. It's nothing like Georgy Girl. Although I do hear what you're talking about. As far as the bassline goes, how about keeping the same exact rhythm but adding some chromaticism in like you do on your chord runs. For instance, C... C-G#... G#-F... Bb-A-G#-G. The G# lower than C, the F higher. You're better at this than I, but the point being by keeping the rhythm the same you allude to those songs and there feel that you whack it up with some black notes.
              Great ideas. Thing is, the whole point of the stupid simple bass line was to lull you into complacency before the weird chords come in - that's the whole point, to contrast. Part of me doesn't want to touch it, dunno. There are tons of options, just trying to keep it simple...

Comment

Originally posted by mbfrancis View Post
                Thing is, the whole point of the stupid simple bass line was to lull you into complacency before the weird chords come in - that's the whole point, to contrast....
                I think the idea is good, but the implementation doesn't cut it. The song is great, but the intellectualisation of the use of the opening well-known riff diminishes it IMO.
                'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
                CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

It also has echoes of some early 1960s musical-or-other. Not Bye-Bye Birdy exactly but something Bye-Bye Birdy-ish, maybe.

Or am I crazy?

(I love the lyric, by the way.)
                  Last edited by LCK; 07-19-2014, 10:17 PM.
                  “I think you make yourself an antenna for songs, and songs want to be around you. And then they bring other songs along, and then they’re all sittin’ around, and they’re drinking your beer, and they’re sleeping on the floor.” —Tom Waits

Comment

Originally posted by oldgitplayer View Post
                    I think the idea is good, but the implementation doesn't cut it. The song is great, but the intellectualisation of the use of the opening well-known riff diminishes it IMO.
                    OK, Uncle, I'll change it, sheesh.

LCK, I swear it's something, but right now all I can think of is that's it's a cross of "Morning Train and "Georgy Girl.' If it's mine, there is a God. I just sang it into SoundHound, and it came back with this:

Last edited by mbfrancis; 07-19-2014, 10:32 PM.

Comment

OK, Uncle, I'll change it, sheesh.
                      I just know that you will come up with something more musically appropriate. I know you'll thank me when you do………
                      'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
                      CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

Very much dug the chorus, the verses are way to much Summer Lovin from Grease.

I'll read on

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

I almost would have cut the chorus down a bit

Don't know if it works for ya, but it's just a suggestion

Chorus:
                          Genevieve takes the morning train
                          to get to to work by nine and back again
                          she says it seems like no one acts their age
                          and that it feels like life's not lived it's waged
                          my love for her grows, Genevieve knows
                          Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Great ideas. Thing is, the whole point of the stupid simple bass line was to lull you into complacency before the weird chords come in - that's the whole point, to contrast. Part of me doesn't want to touch it, dunno. There are tons of options, just trying to keep it simple...
                            If you do change it, you might even just use only C. Assuming here and C what you probably aren't. The tonic I mean. Then do something like what I wrote but better as the turnaround eighth note run. Simple and still the same rhythm, still the same vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikeo View Post
                              I almost would have cut the chorus down a bit

Don't know if it works for ya, but it's just a suggestion

Chorus:
                              to get to to work by nine and back again
                              she says it seems like no one acts their age
                              and that it feels like life's not lived it's waged
                              my love for her grows, Genevieve knows

Yep - what you hear will be the second chorus, the first will be shorter.

"And G. knows / my love for her grows / each day / as long as she..."

The third might be even longer!

Comment

OK, I *think* this is done. I mean, the lyrics are complete, it's about 3 minutes, it works I guess. I have to be honest, though, I just kind of wished it was better, bigger, like a chorus this big deserves better. It feels like a 60s time capsule, not a vital modern song. So...any ideas?

(I did this demo live, piano/vocal. I just played and sang until I made a mistake, then started again, then spliced it all together - good fun.)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12922117

“Genevieve Knows”

V1
                                She’s like yeah,
                                Someone oughta follow me
                                and write stuff down
                                I’m like yeah
                                Every time you speak
                                it’s like a brand new sound
                                but anyone can see
                                I need her more than she needs me

CH
                                To get to work by nine and back again
                                She says it seems like no one acts their age
                                And that it feels like life’s not lived it’s waged
                                But Genevieve knows my love for her grows
                                Each day - as long as she calls my name

V2
                                She goes down-
                                town to be the empress
                                of her tiny scene
                                I go down
                                swinging at the sycophants
                                around my queen
                                But let them all pretend
                                she's gonna wake up next to them

CH2
                                To get to work by nine and back again
                                She says it seems like no one acts their age
                                And that it feels like life’s not lived it’s waged
                                But Genevieve knows my love for her grows
                                Whether she stays or whether she goes insane
                                As long as she calls my name

and every night’s a blur
                                but still I go to bat for her

CH2

Last edited by mbfrancis; 09-21-2014, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X