Lyrics of an oscar nominee song (NUMB by linkin park)

smsabbir480

• Members

Hallo guys.In my previous post i have posted a lyrics of one of my favourite song and now i am posting a lyrics of one of my another favourite song.So here it is--------------->>>>

Numb lyrics

Songwriters: Bennington, Chester; Shinoda, Mike; Bourdon, Rob; Delson, Brad; Farrell, Darren; Hahn, Joseph;

I'm tired of being what you want me to be

Feeling so faithless, lost under the surface

I don't know what you're expecting of me

Put under the pressure of walking in your shoes

(Caught in the undertow just caught in the undertow)

Every step that I take is another mistake to you

I've become so numb I can't feel you there

Become so tired so much more aware

I'm becoming this all I want to do

Is be more like me and be less like you

Can't you see that you're smothering me?

Holding too tightly, afraid to lose control

?Cause everything that you thought I would be

Has fallen apart right in front of you

Every step that I take is another mistake to you

And every second I waste is more than I can take

And I know I may end up failing too

But I know you were just like me

With someone disappointed in you

I will continuously post my favourite song lyrics.Thank's to all.

• Moderators
You should post these in the weekly Friday Influences Thread. That's what it is there for.

What Bee3 said. We all have things that light a fire underneath us. So we share them in the weekly Friday Influences Thread. Out here in the day to day postings... we want to share our work in progress to get input and feedback on what we are working on.

Why not share what you do?

• Members

Well, the main forum is customarily considered mainly devoted to critiques of original material, of course, as well as general discussions of songwriting craft.

But, speaking strictly as someone rather passionate about songwriting craft, if the authors of this tune were to come here looking for feedback, I'm sure many here would like to try to help them find a way to express themselves without simply stringing together cliched phrases and flat-footed statements about how the protagonist feels. These are very boring, seemingly uninspired lyrics. I would say they need a top-to-bottom reconceptualization. Assuming that the writer(s) actually have a complex emotion they're trying to communicate, anyhow. Maybe they're just stringing together words they think might go together. Frankly, it feels more like the latter.

The mix of metaphors in the first few lines -- going from apparently underwater, then the 'walking in your shoes' cliched trope, and then back to underwater/undertow... in the parlance of the times: WTF? But while underwater motif resurfaces (sorry) later in the song, the rest of the song is pretty much just statements from the protag about how he feels. Few things are as boring as someone saying, I'm sad, I'm numb, I'm whatever.

That's not much of a story: I'm numb. Why's he numb? He's caught in an undertow -- under the surface. Shouldn't he be panicked and afraid? The lyrics argue against themselves. Another writer(s) might make that work, using the contradictions or cognitive dissonance implicit in the juxtaposition to create some more complex emotional construction. Here, it feels more like they didn't even think about it.

And why should we believe he's numb? He hasn't shown us or demonstrated it. He just keeps saying it. Even if we might believe it -- but why should we care? He hasn't described how it feels to be numb in the way that he is -- maybe he's generically numb -- but then why should we care? That would make him just one more unfeeling, inarticulate yobbo who can't express his inner angst. He just makes a number of declarative statements. It's boring. It doesn't go anywhere. It doesn't reveal anything. Why should we care?

PS... It took SIX people to write this? LOL!

• Members

I was kind of grouchy this a.m. I would never be so blunt with anything but a hit band/mega-artist. If it was from a regular human, I'd touch on the same issues, sure -- but do it gently and frame it in the context of room for growth, expanded songwriting horizons, and putting a little more attention to craft.

Still, I figure the money this outfit has raked in may console them in some small way in the face of my grumpy display of disdain above.

Archived