Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk About Anything But the Star Wars Trailer

So I've been coming here to this forum for 3 years... and have witnessed periods of high activity and low activity. I believe we're in a lull now... and I'm as guilty as anyone with not posting much for long periods of time. I tend to slip away and not post when I'm not actively working on anything. Such has been the case for the past few months.

That said... do we always rebound? Some of you who have been around for a long time... what are the trends? When was the golden age?

Do we need to recruit?
    Last edited by bee3; 03-15-2015, 12:03 PM.

Recruiting at MM probably won't generate much. Tom gives this site a cheap shot whenever possible so it seems many over there have a skeptical view of our bunch.
    Don't listen to Justin.
    LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

I wasn't thinking of recruiting from there... I have some friends that might be interested. Guys who are getting more into 'songwriting' as opposed to just being 'guys in a band'.

Comment

Bring 'em on!
        Don't listen to Justin.
        LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Oswlek View Post
          Recruiting at MM probably won't generate much. Tom gives this site a cheap shot whenever possible so it seems many over there have a skeptical view of our bunch.
          Not an MM fan. pft:
          Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Ram, I remember you once made a comment about MM... that it was really "slow". Tables have turned. Look at us!

Comment

Originally posted by bee3 View Post
              Ram, I remember you once made a comment about MM... that it was really "slow". Tables have turned. Look at us!
              Except for Steve Ison (and present company, natch) I just don't dig the scene..

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Yeah, MM has it's rough spots. Oddly enough, the biggest problem isn't people being unfriendly, it is the growing clique that sneers at anyone who has the gall to suggest a post isn't absolutely perfect. They don't seem to get that gratuitous pats on the back, while pleasant, don't actually help anyone get better.

I recently got into a spat with someone about another pet peeve of mine... the overly-flowery-comment-that-pretends-to-be-insightful-but-is-ultimately-meaningless.

In retrospect, I should have just let it pass, but I still stand by what I said. If anyone wants to follow along, just click here and scroll down to post #27.

All that said, there are a number of talented, generous people on that site. I'd say that I've received equally valuable feedback from both there and here. Some songs, like "All in Good Time", really needed both to ring everything out of.
                Last edited by Oswlek; 07-14-2014, 03:21 PM.
                Don't listen to Justin.
                LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

^^^ Yep - I've noticed that sometimes when I have a look over there.
                  I guess every forum develops its own culture and we hang out where we feel we're getting our needs met (or close to).
                  'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
                  CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

Originally posted by Oswlek View Post
                    Yeah, MM has it's rough spots. Oddly enough, the biggest problem isn't people being unfriendly, it is the growing clique that sneers at anyone who has the gall to suggest a post isn't absolutely perfect. They don't seem to get that gratuitous pats on the back, while pleasant, don't actually help anyone get better.

I recently got into a spat with someone about another pet peeve of mine... the overly-flowery-comment-that-pretends-to-be-insightful-but-is-ultimately-meaningless.

In retrospect, I should have just let it pass, but I still stand by what I said. If anyone wants to follow along, just click here and scroll down to post #27.

All that said, there are a number of talented, generous people on that site. I'd say that I've received equally valuable feedback from both there and here. Some songs, like "All in Good Time", really needed both to ring everything out of.
                    Yeah, it was a non-answer that only existed so he could post something. He's thin skinned and pretentious. But what really bums me out about the place is the never-ending stream of stuff like this:

http://www.musesmuse.com/forums/inde...howtopic=58423

-Coco Chanel

Comment

So we're going to rebound?

Comment

Originally posted by bee3 View Post
                        So we're going to rebound?
                        Nah - we're just going to sit around talking about the time when we used to write songs.
                        This could be the new high……….
                        'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
                        CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

If anything, I may post there as well, simply because feedback on this site - while incredibly insightful and helpful - generally comes from the same 5-6 people. Not being ungrateful, but it might for example be nice to get a woman's perspective, or from someone under 30, etc.

Comment

First off, I like everyone here. You all have been helpful to me in the past so do not take this as a personal shot to anyone..it's intended towards this section called, "SONGWRITING WORKSHOP"

Well from somewhat of a newbee's perspective I gotta say, this site really isn't to inviting.

Some members here, although they might not mean to, kinda come off as snooty (is that even a word) LOL

Let's get back to what this forum section is called, "SONGWRITING WORKSHOP"

Not everyone who writes lyrics is able to play guitar or if they can play they are unable to write music for thier lyrics and/or record them in a way that all six current members here can, SO, when on occasion just a lyric is posted without music they have been passed by without comment and I can say from my own experience that a few of you posted in one of my topics that you don't comment just on lyrics alone and if there is no music with it you don't bother.

There were a few new members that have not posted here in a while that actually submitted links to them playing music to thier lyrics and in thier original topic they noted that thier guitar playing was not all that good and just asked for suggestions on their lyric only but a couple members still responded back about their guitar playing also.

There have been other new members, since I've been here, that have posted lyrics and not even a cricket responded. This section is called "SONGWRITING WORKSHOP" but most of you treat it like it has to have music included or it's not worth your time.

A question was asked if you all thought it was a good idea to recruit from the MM site. The best recruiting in my opinion is by making this place feel more welcome to everyone who comes here. IMO

I'm sure the members over at MM have google searched songwriting sites and already know about this site. It's up to the current members here to leave a welcome mat at the door for them.

Comment

Yeah, it was a non-answer that only existed so he could post something. He's thin skinned and pretentious. But what really bums me out about the place is the never-ending stream of stuff like this:

http://www.musesmuse.com/forums/inde...howtopic=58423
                              This reply also wont win this site any new members.

Comment

Working...
                              X