Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candidates for Perfect Songs (or near enough)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nat whilk II
    started a topic Candidates for Perfect Songs (or near enough)

Candidates for Perfect Songs (or near enough)

You know, we all go back and forth about "good, better, best" and so on with songs. There's a sense, 'tho, to me, where a song so perfectly does its job, is so satisfying in its construction and execution at all practical points, that such a song seems to stand on its own pedestal and it seems like to some extent missing the point to compare it qualitatively with other songs. It's like the song both fulfills and creates an ideal thing with a unique value. It may be a small thing, a simple thing, sure - not a four-movement symphony for the ages and so on. But still, if it fulfills so wonderfully what it attempts, what else can you ask?

(Not that I mean total, absolute perfection (whatever that is.) But near enough for this life.)

So I'm inviting entries for songs you admirable ladies and gents feel similarly about.

Here's one I'll throw out that I think of in these terms:

Crowded House - Into Temptation

nat whilk ii

• LCK
    replied
    Yeah, I didn't make the connection to Alex Chilton either.

Leave a comment:

• Oswlek
    replied
    1972! This is the first time I've ever heard of them. I thought it was a recent artist, like Bee's Milk Carton Kids.

Leave a comment:

• Lee Knight
    replied
    Originally posted by Oswlek View Post

Lovely. Never heard of them before. Is it me or is that lead acoustic part too loud?
    That's a rough mix from 1972! Cut 'em some slack!

Leave a comment:

• Oswlek
    replied
    Originally posted by Lee Knight View Post
    I love this. To me... it's perfect. Each verse ends in turn, and I'll take you, and I'll shake you, I won't make you. All punctuating this achingly beautiful rock and roll love song capturing the beauty of youth and love. Won't cha tell your dad get off my back. Tell him what we said about paint it black. It is, to me, perfect.
    Lovely. Never heard of them before. Is it me or is that lead acoustic part too loud?

Leave a comment:

• LCK
    replied
    Here's a two-fer:

Last edited by LCK; 07-25-2014, 08:52 AM.

Leave a comment:

• LCK
    replied
    How about this one?

Leave a comment:

• LCK
    replied
    I hadn't heard "Love Letters" before. It's a good choice. Same with Big Star.

The last one reminded me a little of some songs by this guy:

Leave a comment:

• bee3
    replied
    Yep.

Leave a comment:

• Lee Knight
    replied
    Originally posted by bee3 View Post
    I've only recently gotten into Big Star... but I'm hooked. Have you seen the documentary?
    I haven't seen it but thanks for reminding me. Netflix?

Leave a comment:

• bee3
    replied
    Originally posted by Lee Knight View Post
    I love this. To me... it's perfect. Each verse ends in turn, and I'll take you, and I'll shake you, I won't make you. All punctuating this achingly beautiful rock and roll love song capturing the beauty of youth and love. Won't cha tell your dad get off my back. Tell him what we said about paint it black. It is, to me, perfect.
    I've only recently gotten into Big Star... but I'm hooked. Have you seen the documentary?
    Last edited by bee3; 07-24-2014, 07:39 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lee Knight
    replied
    Mine too, Justin

Leave a comment:

• Oswlek
    replied
    A guy I rarely mention, but who is in the Oswlek all-time top 5...

Leave a comment:

• Lee Knight
    replied

Leave a comment:

• nat whilk II
    replied
    Love Letters. This 1945 tune is very much in the perfect category I'll venture.

There are probably no love letters anymore. I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to get across to someone from the social media generation just how powerful and treasured a little page or two written on "writing paper" from a distant love can be. In my life I only got a very few - from my girlfriend at college when I went home for the summer. But, yes, I read them a hundred times, did the whole schtick, was in total immersion for the full package of agonies and ecstasies...

There are lots of covers of this, but this one by Boz is a bases-loaded homerun. In fact, the whole album is fantastic - I try to copy his vocal style just a teeny bit from time to time and just get depressed...

nat whilk ii
    Last edited by nat whilk II; 07-24-2014, 04:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X