Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Candidates for Perfect Songs (or near enough)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Woah, I have so many tunes to offer that it feels like it was my destiny to post in this thread.

Pink Floyd has way too many songs to mention - I can think of half a dozen perfect tunes on "The Wall" alone - but I'll run with "Mother" since I finally figured out why the timing of the pre-chorus walk-up to F always screwed me up. It's a switch from 4-4 to 6-8, only it is so smooth because of the 123, 123, 12 emphasis of the verses!

Here is another one that I consider a perfect song. Mr Knight once stated that he wished the lyric was clearer, but for me the fact that exact meaning is just barely out of grasp is a perfect metaphor for the elusive object of his desire.

This song hits me hard every time. Brings me back to being on my bed, too tired to sleep, a lonely kid afraid that no one was ever going to love him.

And I can't tell you how much this song has impacted me. Holy ****************.

This guy helped me through one of the toughest times of my life. Strangely, I don't listen to him much anymore even though I get a big kick out of it whenever I stumble on one of his songs.

I was never the biggest Duran Duran fan, but this latter release is outstanding.

If we are going Crowded House, it is impossible for me not to mention this gem.

These guys were very formulaic, but were still very enjoyable and hit a few out of the park.

I'm still trying to get my head around why so many people were bothered when these guys were inducted into the R&R HOF.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention these guys. "Creep", "High and Dry", "No Surprises", "Let Down" and "Fake Plastic" are absolutely worthy of this thread, but this song just knocks my socks off.

I guess that's enough for now.
    Don't listen to Justin.
    LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

I knew before clicking on that Radiohead link that it would be Exit Music... that song is so... you.

Comment

Love, love, love this song... the imagery is fantastic. The performance on both the album and live (as shown here) is so genuine and well-done.

Comment

Ha! I KNEW you were going to post a Ryan Adams tune. I very nearly beat you to the punch with "La Cienga Just Smiled" but decided the comment was long enough.
          Last edited by Oswlek; 07-09-2014, 10:52 AM.
          Don't listen to Justin.
          LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

Trying to throw Oswlek a curveball here... a perfect pop song. It's got a great hook, a great pre-chorus, and a... chorus, sort of. And despite the fact that the piano solo is terrible and the piano patch is even worse, it works.

Comment

Originally posted by bee3 View Post

Love this song. Not a single cymbal in the song (other than hi-hats).
              Cymbals kill guitars, right?

"Waterloo Sunset" has this amazing beautiful melody that stands up to being played and sung over and over, but I think the rest of the track lets it down musically. It's on my "I love this but" list.

Comment

All Along The Watchtower? As? oke:
                Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

I've never been a huge fan of that Cure song, Justin. I'd run with "Friday I'm in Love" if forced to choose a perfect pop song from their catalog. Funny enough, every time I hear "JLH", it takes until the vocals come in for me to realize that it isn't "FIIL". Must be based on the same chord progression or something.
                  Don't listen to Justin.
                  LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

I was just a kid with a mono record player in a molded plastic case when I bought (or maybe I just lifted) the Byrd's Turn, Turn, Turn album. At any rate, this simple song I loved from the start and still love - gets the mood of the situation described in the lyrics spot on, and all the parts just work like clockwork - I wouldn't change a note.

A Gene Clark song - Set You Free This Time

nat whilk ii
                    Last edited by nat whilk II; 07-09-2014, 01:26 PM.

Comment

How about this one?

“I started being a songwriter pretending I could do it, and it turned out I could.” —James Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by LCK View Post
                        How about this one?
                        I was 11 and standing in the "record department" of West Covina's White Front store. Like a Target. The clerk puts on this tune on a new little self contained record player speaker combo and... I remember hearing her voice, then his. Wondering if it was the same person. That voice. That groove. It sounded wise but not like my dad. This was... WISE. It hasn't aged at all. Fantastic.
                        ___

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Knight View Post
                          I was 11 and standing in the "record department" of West Covina's White Front store. Like a Target. The clerk puts on this tune on a new little self contained record player speaker combo and... I remember hearing her voice, then his. Wondering if it was the same person. That voice. That groove. It sounded wise but not like my dad. This was... WISE. It hasn't aged at all. Fantastic.
                          And you could probably put any of their hits -- "Hot Fun in the Summertime," "Thank You Falettin' Me Be Mice Elf Agin," "Everyday People" "Dance to the Music" -- in the same category: a perfect Top 40 song.
                          “I started being a songwriter pretending I could do it, and it turned out I could.” —James Taylor.

Comment

I have a tendency to love tracks from albums that might by some be categorised as 'filler' tracks.
                            Here's one by Jethro Tull from 'Stand Up'.

Last edited by oldgitplayer; 07-09-2014, 08:04 PM.
                            'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
                            CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

I feel this is the closest thing I've heard to a perfect song in my lifetime. I don't think I've ever heard a song that has so much to say about….well everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHGrWTmXK6w

Comment

Originally posted by oldgitplayer View Post
                                I have a tendency to love tracks from albums that might by some be categorised as 'filler' tracks.
                                Here's one by Jethro Tull from 'Stand Up'.

This is the only Jethro Tull album I actually have ever owned. Love when the flute comes in like a chill up your spine. This older stuff is a lot more blues-based, Cream-like esp that claptonesque wah lead. Kinda my thing, rock-wise in relation to the proggy turn they took a bit later (which is what everyone else loves them for.)

And wow, that's some remastering job. It's just a Youtube, and it sounds way better than my old CD version.

nat whilk ii

Comment

Working...
                                X