Friday [ON A THURSDAY!] Influences Thread! 07-04[03]-14

Lee Knight

• Moderators

I needed to do this a day early this week due to the holiday. My trash guys come a day late on a holiday week. But me? A day early.That is how I roll with my big bad self.

JOIN IN! WON'T YOU?

A couple of alt radio things I find interesting.

Not too often do I find real deep seated talent and art in the current indie scene. It's there... but it's not all too frequent. And that's the case here as well. Mostly it's artists who nail that one song. Like these guys, Broken Bells. One hit wonder? Most likely. But as a songwriter/arranger/producer sorta all around music idiot dude, one song is plenty. Then the next group comes along. Next... Hey, I'm not hanging their posters on my bedroom wall. I'm getting inspired for my music. Do these artists lack? Well, they're not Led Zeppelin. But a hook is a hook and I'll steal it by crook. Or a groove or a sound. And you'll never know. Well... you guys will.

These lines alone earn the song a big couple o' fat thumbs up from this guy.

And you say you shouldn't stay...

As you're taking off your clothes

You think it's loving I suppose

It's just you endlessly needing control

[video=youtube;o0HG0RTyvYo]

If you spend any time being exposed to the top indie chart songs, you're already sick to death of this one below by The Neighborhood. Some people are even sick of it after the first listen I'm sure. Still, there are some great ideas here. The overtly flirty voice is pushing it. But not for my wife and daughter. They're all.. oooh, he's ripped and tatted! His voice... HOT! :) But I'll tell ya, back when I thought this was a low voiced girl singing... well... I liked it in a different way too. Sorta like checking out a chick's ass only to realize it's a hippie dude. Oops! Blaaa. That was Prep H not toothpaste.

Enjoy. Or relish despising it.

[video=youtube;RA26uXxh5O0]

• Moderators

I didn't know much about Paolo Nutini, only that he was good but not my cup of tea. Then he got the soul this go around. Here he channels Marley and Marvin. The band...I love them. Hell, I got my tickets for Sept. That band. They manage to use straight soul music and combine elements of modern R & B and some indie sensibility.. Just the good bits! :) Just looking at that bass player's bass and amp... he's got a freaking clue about what is cool. These guys play... and they sound COOL.

And Paolo smokes!

[video=youtube;ELKbtFljucQ]

And... yeah... FUNK MY LIFE UP!

[video=youtube;L7aXaMLsazw]

• Members

I feel certain I've posted this before, but I just think it's terrific. I was listening (sans video) over my subscription services yesterday and thinking about it.

I also think, as a very different approach, it helps reveal the original song's strengths.

[video=youtube;VBmCJEehYtU]

I followed it in my stream yesterday with this bookend from 1959... The Coasters' "What About Us?" -- I think you'll see the hook-up.

[video=youtube;SMLFNmtmRAE]

• Members

Broken Bells. One hit wonder? Most likely. But as a songwriter/arranger/producer sorta all around music idiot dude, one song is plenty. Then the next group comes along. Next... Hey, I'm not hanging their posters on my bedroom wall. I'm getting inspired for my music. Do these artists lack? Well, they're not Led Zeppelin. But a hook is a hook and I'll steal it by crook. Or a groove or a sound. And you'll never know. Well... you guys will.

[video=youtube;o0HG0RTyvYo]

"not Led Zeppelin" ties in to my feeling about this track, too. It's pretty flawless - I do admire that clear, tenor vocal - it builds nicely, has a nice hook, all the right ingredients for an airbrushed confection, but it ain't no juicy slug of steak.

Danger Mouse is one talented guy, knows what he's doing no question, and truly respects the vocals in his productions (just ask CeeLo, Nora Jones, Gorillaz, etc.) which bespeaks his awareness of his role as a terrific producer, not PRODUCER.

nat whilk ii

• Members

:(

Hmmm.... It does work in Chrome or Opera in Win7 on my rig, whether logged in or not.

PS... One of my atheist friends on FB already complained about the subject matter (which seems to be about someone named Jesus). For those who know me, it probably goes without saying that my admiration for the music and presentation has little to do directly with its religious content. ;)

• Members

These lines alone earn the song a big couple o' fat thumbs up from this guy.

And you say you shouldn't stay...

As you're taking off your clothes

You think it's loving I suppose

It's just you endlessly needing control

Nice.

• Members

I discovered her this morning - Sibylle Baier.

She recorded these songs at home in her room in the early 70's.

Her son discovered the tapes 30 years later and released them as an album.

There is a special quality about her personal songs. There is the complete absence of someone pursuing a career.

[video=youtube;syVOWmLWFys]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syVOWmLWFys#t=488

• Members
This FB video is only a little over a minute long but it so exemplifies the joy of music that I couldn't resist. Sorry about the lack of embedding.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201087179462203

It works for me with Safari.

Love the drum kit - I saw a lot of home-made instruments when I lived in Africa. Africa is music.

Especially when I went into the Africa- only Townships (it was illegal during the Apartheid era in SA and the police used to throw us out).

• Members
These two were made for each other.

I agree. I especially like their version of this John Sebastian tune.

[video=youtube;fXjzOpz4Cyw]

Sebastian wrote this song (and a few others) for the soundtrack of Francis Ford Coppola's first mainstream film, You're a Big Boy Now.

Dig the walking bass he plays on guitar here on his first solo LP!

[video=youtube;zwYBDkYFg80]

Interestingly, Sebastian also wrote the soundtrack for Woody Allen's first film, What's Up Tiger Lily. Some very clever wordplay here.

[video=youtube;VrHvJor548o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrHvJor548o

• Members
These two were made for each other.

[video=youtube;sZOBUcnNp04]

Scratches my down-home itch.

But what in the world is that guitar Trucks is playing??? Body looks Fenderish - but it's got that big chrome plate below the bridge which is SG-like - and the headstock is something I've never seen, either. The fretboard looks SG-ish. It sounds quite nice but....

?????? some sort of odd custom thing? Or just something Gibson has turned out I've never seen the likes of ??????

EDIT: ok, I poked around the Gibson site - yeah there's a Firebird that looks a lot like this, still a few differences, but minor.....dang now I want one bad.:sm-heart::sm-heart::sm-heart:

nat whilk ii

• Members
I feel certain I've posted this before, but I just think it's terrific. I was listening (sans video) over my subscription services yesterday and thinking about it.

I also think, as a very different approach, it helps reveal the original song's strengths.

[video=youtube;VBmCJEehYtU]

Wow thanks, I just spent 30 minutes listening to awesome covers, wonderful.

• Moderators
Broken Bells singer is the guy from the Shins ... remember New Slang? So they're kind of a supergroup.
Wow, thank you for that. I've been looking at him in their live videos and trying to place who he was. Of course! I love his new stripped down approach here. Thanks!

• Members

Country Pop at its finest. Dig the piano figure by Nashville regular Hargus "Pig" Robbins. The song is more than good enough on its own but that riff makes it perfect. (Sometimes session players should share in the songwriting credits.)

[video=youtube;udEZ_JjNz4E]

Archived