No announcement yet.

Friday [ON A THURSDAY!] Influences Thread! 07-04[03]-14

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday [ON A THURSDAY!] Influences Thread! 07-04[03]-14

I needed to do this a day early this week due to the holiday. My trash guys come a day late on a holiday week. But me? A day early.That is how I roll with my big bad self.

JOIN IN! WON'T YOU?

A couple of alt radio things I find interesting.

Not too often do I find real deep seated talent and art in the current indie scene. It's there... but it's not all too frequent. And that's the case here as well. Mostly it's artists who nail that one song. Like these guys, Broken Bells. One hit wonder? Most likely. But as a songwriter/arranger/producer sorta all around music idiot dude, one song is plenty. Then the next group comes along. Next... Hey, I'm not hanging their posters on my bedroom wall. I'm getting inspired for my music. Do these artists lack? Well, they're not Led Zeppelin. But a hook is a hook and I'll steal it by crook. Or a groove or a sound. And you'll never know. Well... you guys will.

These lines alone earn the song a big couple o' fat thumbs up from this guy.

And you say you shouldn't stay...

As you're taking off your clothes
    You think it's loving I suppose
    It's just you endlessly needing control

If you spend any time being exposed to the top indie chart songs, you're already sick to death of this one below by The Neighborhood. Some people are even sick of it after the first listen I'm sure. Still, there are some great ideas here. The overtly flirty voice is pushing it. But not for my wife and daughter. They're all.. oooh, he's ripped and tatted! His voice... HOT! But I'll tell ya, back when I thought this was a low voiced girl singing... well... I liked it in a different way too. Sorta like checking out a chick's ass only to realize it's a hippie dude. Oops! Blaaa. That was Prep H not toothpaste.

Enjoy. Or relish despising it.

Last edited by Lee Knight; 07-03-2014, 08:43 AM.

• Delmont
    replied
    Broken Bells: Really solid, interesting instrumental work. A little too much going on for my minimalist taste, but that's just me. The lyrics don't rise to the occasion.

Sweater Weather. Put a sock in it.

Paolo Nutini: Not my style, but the guy really rocks. Smart, passionate, thoughtful, and with music that works just right with the songs. He gets terrific musicians working with him. This stuff does not happen by accident. High marks.

Royals: Original. Good. Fun. That's entertainment! High marks.

Coasters: I've always loved those guys. Never heard this one. Reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK4VAyb85j4

High marks.

Baier: Not my style, but she sure nailed emo, didn't she? High marks.

Tedeschi and Trucks: Oldgit got it. They're both musical monsters in their own rights, but together, they take it to a whole new place. High marks.

John Sebastian: Can do no wrong. High marks.

Can't open the John Cleary tune. I'll have to look him up. Thanks, Lee!

Del

Leave a comment:

• bee3
    replied
    I toured for 5 years with her brother, the guitarist... she used to come out and visit when she was 15... we'd bring her onstage to perform with us and she'd bring the house down.

Leave a comment:

• nat whilk II
    replied
    Originally posted by bee3 View Post
    Well, my friends in Trampled Under Foot are calling it quits to perform solo projects. It's a shame... because they are an excellent band. I thought this was an appropriate song to post... Goodbye.

I'm in love

nat whilk ii

Leave a comment:

• bee3
    replied
    War on Drugs... interesting band with a pretty cool sound. I really like what the drummer does here.

The keyboardist is a friend of mine... he sent me pics of Paul Shaffers keyboard rig.

Leave a comment:

• bee3
    replied
    Well, my friends in Trampled Under Foot are calling it quits to perform solo projects. It's a shame... because they are an excellent band. I thought this was an appropriate song to post... Goodbye.

Last edited by bee3; 07-09-2014, 07:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lee Knight
    replied
    Man! I am digging that drummer!
    Originally posted by LCK View Post
    No, I think Luther Dixon (who was Bacharach's co-writer on the song) produced the Shirelles' version in New York. Smith were from LA. A guy named Robert Evans was their drummer. This seems to be a lip-synch version from Ed Sullivan. Here's another track. The drummer kicks ass here too. He's certainly got the pocket on this one...

Leave a comment:

• LCK
    replied
    Bruce Woodley. He was a member of The Seekers.

He co-wrote this Simon & Garfunkel song with Paul Simon, though he wasn't given credit for it on the Parsley, Sage, Rosemary & Thyme LP.

He and Simon also co-wrote this tune.

Last edited by LCK; 07-06-2014, 06:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lee Knight
    replied
    It might be him! It looks like he's got a book out called, A Different Drummer. I like him. Thanks for those videos.

Leave a comment:

• LCK
    replied
    Originally posted by Lee Knight View Post
    I just love the drum groove on this track. It completely drives the singer to bring the performance she does. All I can find out is that it was recorded and produced by Luther Dixon at Bell in New York. Maybe it was the groups drummer, and if it was, he's an awesome badass. But I suspect it was a studio pro. Anyone have any info on this?
    No, I think Luther Dixon (who was Bacharach's co-writer on the song) produced the Shirelles' version in New York.

Smith were from LA. A guy named Robert Evans was their drummer.

This seems to be a lip-synch version from Ed Sullivan.

Here's another track. The drummer kicks ass here too.

He's certainly got the pocket on this one...

Last edited by LCK; 07-05-2014, 09:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Lee Knight
    replied
    I just love the drum groove on this track. It completely drives the singer to bring the performance she does. All I can find out is that it was recorded and produced by Luther Dixon at Bell in New York. Maybe it was the groups drummer, and if it was, he's an awesome badass. But I suspect it was a studio pro. Anyone have any info on this?
    Originally posted by LCK View Post
    Smith, "Baby It's You," a Burt Bacharach song originally recorded by The Shirelles, and later covered by The Beatles. This version outcharted both previous versions.

Leave a comment:

• LCK
    replied
    Country Pop at its finest. Dig the piano figure by Nashville regular Hargus "Pig" Robbins. The song is more than good enough on its own but that riff makes it perfect. (Sometimes session players should share in the songwriting credits.)

Last edited by LCK; 07-05-2014, 06:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LCK
    replied
    Smith, "Baby It's You," a Burt Bacharach song originally recorded by The Shirelles, and later covered by The Beatles. This version outcharted both previous versions.

Leave a comment:

• LCK
    replied
    Lee Michaels, "Do You Know What I Mean?"

Leave a comment:

• LCK
    replied
    Devout Christian, Communist and Canadian: Bruce Cockburn, "After the Rain."

Last edited by LCK; 07-05-2014, 06:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X