Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Friday [ON A THURSDAY!] Influences Thread! 07-04[03]-14

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday [ON A THURSDAY!] Influences Thread! 07-04[03]-14

I needed to do this a day early this week due to the holiday. My trash guys come a day late on a holiday week. But me? A day early.That is how I roll with my big bad self.

JOIN IN! WON'T YOU?

A couple of alt radio things I find interesting.

Not too often do I find real deep seated talent and art in the current indie scene. It's there... but it's not all too frequent. And that's the case here as well. Mostly it's artists who nail that one song. Like these guys, Broken Bells. One hit wonder? Most likely. But as a songwriter/arranger/producer sorta all around music idiot dude, one song is plenty. Then the next group comes along. Next... Hey, I'm not hanging their posters on my bedroom wall. I'm getting inspired for my music. Do these artists lack? Well, they're not Led Zeppelin. But a hook is a hook and I'll steal it by crook. Or a groove or a sound. And you'll never know. Well... you guys will.

These lines alone earn the song a big couple o' fat thumbs up from this guy.

And you say you shouldn't stay...

As you're taking off your clothes
    You think it's loving I suppose
    It's just you endlessly needing control

If you spend any time being exposed to the top indie chart songs, you're already sick to death of this one below by The Neighborhood. Some people are even sick of it after the first listen I'm sure. Still, there are some great ideas here. The overtly flirty voice is pushing it. But not for my wife and daughter. They're all.. oooh, he's ripped and tatted! His voice... HOT! But I'll tell ya, back when I thought this was a low voiced girl singing... well... I liked it in a different way too. Sorta like checking out a chick's ass only to realize it's a hippie dude. Oops! Blaaa. That was Prep H not toothpaste.

Enjoy. Or relish despising it.

Last edited by Lee Knight; 07-03-2014, 09:43 AM.
    Thomas Jefferson said... "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." hmmm...

I didn't know much about Paolo Nutini, only that he was good but not my cup of tea. Then he got the soul this go around. Here he channels Marley and Marvin. The band...I love them. Hell, I got my tickets for Sept. That band. They manage to use straight soul music and combine elements of modern R & B and some indie sensibility.. Just the good bits! Just looking at that bass player's bass and amp... he's got a freaking clue about what is cool. These guys play... and they sound COOL.

And Paolo smokes!

And... yeah... FUNK MY LIFE UP!

Last edited by Lee Knight; 07-03-2014, 09:44 AM.
    Thomas Jefferson said... "The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme Being as His father, in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter." hmmm...

Comment

I feel certain I've posted this before, but I just think it's terrific. I was listening (sans video) over my subscription services yesterday and thinking about it.

I also think, as a very different approach, it helps reveal the original song's strengths.

I followed it in my stream yesterday with this bookend from 1959... The Coasters' "What About Us?" -- I think you'll see the hook-up.

Last edited by blue2blue; 07-03-2014, 12:28 PM.

music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook

The chorus seems a little weak... I think it needs more lasers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Knight View Post

Broken Bells. One hit wonder? Most likely. But as a songwriter/arranger/producer sorta all around music idiot dude, one song is plenty. Then the next group comes along. Next... Hey, I'm not hanging their posters on my bedroom wall. I'm getting inspired for my music. Do these artists lack? Well, they're not Led Zeppelin. But a hook is a hook and I'll steal it by crook. Or a groove or a sound. And you'll never know. Well... you guys will.

"not Led Zeppelin" ties in to my feeling about this track, too. It's pretty flawless - I do admire that clear, tenor vocal - it builds nicely, has a nice hook, all the right ingredients for an airbrushed confection, but it ain't no juicy slug of steak.

Danger Mouse is one talented guy, knows what he's doing no question, and truly respects the vocals in his productions (just ask CeeLo, Nora Jones, Gorillaz, etc.) which bespeaks his awareness of his role as a terrific producer, not PRODUCER.

nat whilk ii

Comment

I thought that was Danger Mouse in an online interview with the singer. They didn't ID him. Yeah, he did a nice job on that track. It's so sedate and still... it works in its own way.

Comment

Wow, that first Paolo song is incredible.
            Don't listen to Justin.
            LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

This FB video is only a little over a minute long but it so exemplifies the joy of music that I couldn't resist. Sorry about the lack of embedding.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201087179462203
              Last edited by blue2blue; 07-03-2014, 01:49 PM.

music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook

Comment

Originally posted by blue2blue View Post
                This FB video is only a little over a minute long but it so exemplifies the joy of music that I couldn't resist. Sorry about the lack of embedding.

Hmm...link seems to bring up nothin'.....anyone else have success??

nat whilk ii

Comment

Hmmm.... It does work in Chrome or Opera in Win7 on my rig, whether logged in or not.

PS... One of my atheist friends on FB already complained about the subject matter (which seems to be about someone named Jesus). For those who know me, it probably goes without saying that my admiration for the music and presentation has little to do directly with its religious content.
                  Last edited by blue2blue; 07-03-2014, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Knight View Post

These lines alone earn the song a big couple o' fat thumbs up from this guy.

And you say you shouldn't stay...

As you're taking off your clothes
                    You think it's loving I suppose
                    It's just you endlessly needing control
                    Nice.
                    "I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

I discovered her this morning - Sibylle Baier.
                      She recorded these songs at home in her room in the early 70's.
                      Her son discovered the tapes 30 years later and released them as an album.
                      There is a special quality about her personal songs. There is the complete absence of someone pursuing a career.

'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
                      CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

Originally posted by blue2blue View Post

It works for me with Safari.
                        Love the drum kit - I saw a lot of home-made instruments when I lived in Africa. Africa is music.
                        Especially when I went into the Africa- only Townships (it was illegal during the Apartheid era in SA and the police used to throw us out).
                        'Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom. If you don't live it, it won't come out of your horn'.
                        CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

These two were made for each other.

CHARLIE PARKER

Comment

Originally posted by oldgitplayer View Post
                            These two were made for each other.
                            I agree. I especially like their version of this John Sebastian tune.

Sebastian wrote this song (and a few others) for the soundtrack of Francis Ford Coppola's first mainstream film, You're a Big Boy Now.

Dig the walking bass he plays on guitar here on his first solo LP!

Interestingly, Sebastian also wrote the soundtrack for Woody Allen's first film, What's Up Tiger Lily. Some very clever wordplay here.

Last edited by LCK; 07-03-2014, 10:31 PM.
                            "I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

Posted on Facebook by Bonnie Raitt. A tribute to Bobby Womack by her old band mate Jon Clearly. Awesome groove, vocals and playing. And for you engineering types... dig the natural and kick ass capture and mixing of those DRUMS!!! https://m.soundcloud.com/the_nigelha...ave-it-mix-mp3

Comment

Working...
                              X