Haven't posted on these forums since 2009.....Back with a track!

voltaire1

• Members

I used to frequent these forums often, then there was a crazy shift where everyone's usernames got screwed up...... I'm back!

Check out this track that I'm trying to master, tell me how to improve the finished sound and what you think of the track. In return I'll be anyones biggest critic.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=1350654&songID=12842179

• Members
Not on a good enough system to do much mix help' date=' but I enjoyed it. The snare felt a little boomy at times, though that might just be my taste. Otherwise, I got nothing but good vibes. :)[/quote']

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, I think it might be a little much, the drums are all run through a channel with the SAUSAGE FATTENER vst on it with the tone cut down a little bit. I could def tweak that out.

• Moderators

I think you have lots of great ideas. Let me address the writing first.

You have a tendency to repeat a motif. You state it and then we know we're going to hear it verbatim 3 more times. With added ear candy. That's a great melodic structure but not the only one. I'd try and develop subsequent repeats. Call and response. Change the tail of the 2nd phrase, change the notes but retain the rhythm, change the rhythm but retain the notes. Develop your individual melodic phrases.

On the performance. It's really good. But... :) (you did ask, right?) :) your pocket on those rhythm guitars is pretty... relaxed. That's not a bad thing at all. As a matter of fact, it lends a progressive rock tune like this an indie edge which is kinda cool. But...

...then we need to look at the mix balance. You have the guitars leading the groove. That's backwards from what will really work here. The drums need to lead the charge. In volume. In attitude. When those drums get turned up and the guitars get pulled just behind the drums... all the rhythm inaccuracies will sound cool.

Let the drums get more focus and volume and pull back your loudest guitars and you'll have a track that grooves the way you want it to.

• Members

Lee, that was probably the best response to any thread I've ever posted in my entire posting career. Constructive, informative, historical! I'm going to definitely take your ideas to heart and come up with a new mix. Thank you so much.

2005! I wish I could get my old account back :/ any ideas on how I could do that?

• Members

Voltaire,

Every artist has their own twist on things, it can't be helped. To a certain extend we are hard wired. And so the comments that follow I cautiously offer, because for sure I am looking at it as if this were my song, and my artistic expression. The feelings and emotions I would try to convey may be far different than the ones you are feeling in your heart and head. Yours are no more wrong or right then mine and visa versa. So read on with that caveat in mind.

First, overall, I hear almost a complete score in this song, one that wants to come out, but is burdened by "too much too quick". From 0 to 6 in under 4 seconds. I'm not talking BPM, but rather, the intensity of emotion expressed in the song.

Instead, I'm thinking almost classically here, where the master starts with a quiet rendition of the theme. Not a whole lot of drive, just expressing, musically, the melody that will be developed throughout the song.

Then build it. Bring in the instruments. Turn up the volume. Intensify the mix. Don't be in a hurry to get to the max. Tickle the listener with the theme of the song. Then build it more... until, as Lee so correctly hit the nail on the head, the drums drive this piece forward.

And then, as you already do now, de-intensify at midpoint and take a break. Pull your foot off the throttle, then coast a bit. And then, of course, come back hard until the end. You are heading to a huge finish.

I am probably not making much sense. As I said at the start, this would be how I would artistically express myself, and bares no relation to how anyone else would. So feel free to totally ignore!

• Members

It's a cool tune. Lot's of cool ideas... the interplay between the guitars and the keys in the background works well... but... I hear timing issues. And coming from me, where I always have timing issues in my own stuff that I can't hear myself at first, well... suffice to say they should probably be addressed. I don't think it's anything major... some tightening up here and there. Lee's suggestion to have the drums drive it is probably a good start.

• Moderators

Hi Voltaire (aka Anonymous Fleet), its been a while. I've lost touch with you some time ago, I remember we use to chat on AIM. How are things going? Have you found a singer yet?

The track sounds good in my opinion. Though I wouldn't really consider any song as being complete without a vocal track, or a lead melody at least. Its more of a backing track at the moment. Do you have any plans to further explain your song with regards to vocals and lyrics?

Archived