X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Free Online Resource for Chord Progressions

OK, I put this on the Theory Forum, but I thought this might be a good place to post this question as well. I'm a drummer that likes to arrange, and occasionally write my own originals. And before I go any further, no stupid drummer jokes, cuz looking at the crappy work I've seen on MIDI files from keyboard, and guitarists that SHOULD know better, they have NO ROOM to talk. Enough with that discussion. My dilemma isn't so much finding different sophisticated chords; more it's knowing how to string 3-4 chords together, and even better, being able to create an innovative bridge. So, is there any free online resource that would help/teach me how to do so?

I just look at chord charts of songs I dig. Type in Google, I'm Not In Love 10cc or whatever and go... Ah, that's where he goes there! Then borrow it.
    ___

Comment

Me too.
      “I started being a songwriter pretending I could do it, and it turned out I could.” —James Taylor.

Comment

Learning existing typical (and not so typical) progressions can definitely be helpful -- after all, you already know what it sounds like.

But as you're making sense of it, a tool like the Scalerator (from onetime HC SW forumite, Eddie Boston) may prove helpful. It lets you pick a scale and harmonize that scale in various ways. The orientation of Eddie's tool box (includes the Chorderator, Chord Designer, others) is guitar oriented but the Scalerator may be useful simply for telling you what chords a given scale will harmonize to.

He's got some reasonably priced downloads, but you can use the basics on line for free.

www.scalerator.com
        Last edited by blue2blue; 07-01-2014, 10:40 AM.

music and social stuff | The Forgotify Files | A Year of Songs | mutant pop on facebook | roots acoustic on facebook

The chorus seems a little weak... I think it needs more lasers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Knight View Post
          I just look at chord charts of songs I dig. Type in Google, I'm Not In Love 10cc or whatever and go... Ah, that's where he goes there! Then borrow it.
          +1
          Maybe start here.
          Last edited by mbfrancis; 07-01-2014, 12:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks much Blue2Blue, and Lee. I will DEFINITELY try scalerator. Sounds powerful. Also Lee, very nice taste with your 10cc example.

Comment

Working...
            X