Rock Is Dead

BrokenRomeo

• Members

Thanks, you could be right on the singer, but since it's me, I can't really say!! Check out the one below, another new song, but more electronic, maybe you'll like the vocals better on that one. Thanks for listening and the feedback...always appreciated.

• Members

Hey, Romeo!

I heard this before over at that other place (where I, unfortunately, became part of the background noise on the whole Is rock dead? debate -- sorry 'bout that. wink_zpsa9897a65.gif)

Anyhow, I'll respectfully disagree with my colleage, LCK, I think the vocal has a pretty in-form classic late 70s/80s slick rock snarl -- but I think it is mixed up quite a bit too high for the genre. I'd seriously start with a 2 dB drop or so and see. Once it's more pocketed in the mix, I think it won't have the 'trying too hard' vibe LCK noticed. The way I look at it, for a traditional rock vocal, I think you want the audience to have to work to get all or even most of the words.

I pretty much make it a rule to not comment on lyrics unless they're printed (although they're pretty clear here), but I find it helps me organize my thoughts more quickly when I see the lyrics laid out. That said, that is generally not the way I listen to a new song for pleasure. I just, you know, listen, get in the groove if I can, and keep my 'ears' open for the vibe or emotional core of the music+lyrics (since they often play against each other by design and sometimes accident).

Anyhow, I think bumping the vocal level down would probably bring this pretty close to what I would suggest is a pretty full 'actualization' of the idea of the song (as I suss it to be)..

• Moderators

Wow, nice track! I love the way the intro guitar riff works with the drums initially, it turned me around for a second until the second listen, I don't know why, but it was awesome when it clicked in for me. I know where the first comment from LCK comes from but I tend to lean towards Blue's point that it is right for what you are doing. The vocal is awesome. I'd lower the vocal as suggested by Blue but keep it where it's at in the chorus. It sounds great there. I do think things during the first verse guitar could be changed up just slightly. Let me explain. How about muting the second half of each phrase or some clever combination of mutes during that first verse singing? We've heard the intro and it gets firmly attached to our awareness. Nice riff. Catchy and cool at the same time. Not always easy. Nice. But just stackng the vocal on top isn't enough variation I think. Try some mutes to see if you can open up that section a little. Just a thought. The intro itself with the guitar. I think it needs a little bit of subtle whizbang. On the first repeat you could grab a few beats or even a full bar of that riff and reverse it. Or maybe just a key note/beat here or there to trip up the listener just a little. Whizbang. It seems right for the style I think. Beyond that, I think the way the track ends isn't quite fleshed out enough. I'd cut the guitar solo after the first chorus in half, and have perhaps a smaller second verse somewhere in there to give the listener more of a journey. And one more thing if I'm going to be picky. This is really good so this is truly a picky point. The guitar tone just in the intro and maybe the first first verse needs a bit of tape saturation or tube compression to make it a bit more gluey. Less grainy and digital and more 70s rock there I think. You've got a great palm mute thing going there I'd accentuate it with a bit, just a little bit, more of a muffled vibey tone here. More subdued swagger. Great track! I love the idea of the lyric and I love your melodic sense. Poppy yet rocking at the same time. Very cool. Okay, one more thing. :-) how about an octave above, falsetto, vocal on that chorus? It needs some vocal production trickery to lift that chorus. You've done great with the writing to make it lift, and with the musical bed production as well, but higher vocals added to your main vocal would really make that chorus standout and soar, as the 70s producers used to love to say. Once again, nice work!

• Members
I'll respectfully disagree with my colleague, LCK, I think the vocal has a pretty in-form classic late 70s/80s slick rock snarl -- but I think it is mixed up quite a bit too high for the genre. I'd seriously start with a 2 dB drop or so and see. Once it's more pocketed in the mix, I think it won't have the 'trying too hard' vibe LCK noticed.

That ... could be true.

• Members

Wow, thanks Lee for all the arrangement tips, and taking the time to listen...I will take your list and go through the song as soon as I finish up another track I am working on, and see what I can do...an outside the bubble perspective is always appreciated, especially when you are working by yourself!! Thanks again guys.

• Moderators
Wow, thanks Lee for all the arrangement tips, and taking the time to listen...I will take your list and go through the song as soon as I finish up another track I am working on, and see what I can do...an outside the bubble perspective is always appreciated, especially when you are working by yourself!! Thanks again guys.

Well... I know what it's like to work by myself. Thank you for the gracious reply. All the suggestions I gave are ones that might not have been apparent to me if it we're my work. That's what we do here. Give an outside perspective. With respect.

Make sure to share as you're writing as well. It can really get your lyric and initial ideas on track. Or not. There's a lot to be said for getting your ideas fleshed out without any input too. But the choice is always yours of course. This place, I've found out, can be a very handy resource of inspiration in all phases of my work... you've just got to be sure to keep your own perspective intact.

You got skillz...

• Members

Great! Piggy backing on the vocal talk, for me it just sounds untreated initially, so it comes off as being too separate from the rest of the song.

FWIW, it sits perfectly at the 2:27 bit, which just sounds a little lower, so it may end up just being a volume thing.

Other than that I dig it. Cool tune.

• Members

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I did a remix and tried to incorporate some of your ideas, but short of really chopping up the song and doing a complete rearrange...just didn't have the time for that. Let me know if you guys like this version better...

Archived