Newbie working on a song

RifferDave

• Members

Hello, all. I'm new here so I'm testing the water so to speak. I have song that is recorded, but I revised the lyric a tad. Anyway, please tell me what you think.

What if I loved you,....

Would the darkness forbid the light to shine

Would your father forbid you to be mine

Would the rain cascade in loneliness entwined

With my heart divided in two

What if I loved you,....

Would the sunshine allow the dark to fade

Would your father allow your hand in trade

Would our love escape to the bed we made

Of unbridled passion fresh and new

Sometimes I shout

And then you pout

Afraid of this side of me you've never seen before

And so I fear

She'll disappear

And so her father smiles and questions rise once more

What if I loved you,...

Would the moonlight caress our yearning stare

Would your mother suppress her piercing glare

Is her judgement just unfair

The evidence of my innocense is past due

Inside her mind

She can't decide

If I'm a gentleman or a low life pest

Each time you smile

Extends the mile

I must tread before I finally come to rest

What if I loved you,....

What if I loved you,....

There it is. Just a scenario I was working on, but some of us have probably been there,......me. I don't have a camera, so video of me doing it is out. Can songs be posted? Lemme know.........

• Members

Rif,

DO post this song! Can't wait to hear. Others may comment on the details, but I just wanted to say I think the lyrics so far are pretty poetic and introspective.

Post the song even if its just a crappy recording. Doesn't matter.

• Members

Ya know, I'll try to post it, but whenever I record my voice I have a cold. It never fails! As is the case with this song, so its a bit pitchy here and there, but can mp3's be posted? I'll give it a try.........No, the file is too big. Any suggestions?

• Members
Ya know' date=' I'll try to post it, but whenever I record my voice I have a cold. It never fails! As is the case with this song, so its a bit pitchy here and there, but can mp3's be posted? I'll give it a try.........No, the file is too big. Any suggestions?[/quote']

Just go to

http://picosong.com/

Upload it and post the link here

• Moderators
Okay' date=' guys here's the link;[/quote']

You're going to need the URL to the song instead. Go to your song on Soundcloud and click Share. Then copy the whole address that should already be highlight under the Facebook etc. icons. Paste that here. You're almost there...

• Members

Man! Newbie takes on a whole new meaning....Okay, try this. Two for price of one. Neza Chtoh Russian for as close as possible: "Ain't No Thang". Instrumental from a band I was in circa 1980's-ish. Pronounced; neyay jah shtoh. (long "o")

• Members

Rif - I'm a web developer. I'm not suppose to let the public know this. But we web developers often (always?) build public interfaces with the goal of driving users nuts. You think things are suppose to work a certain way, and we make sure they don't.

But since you are a fellow song writer... I will tell you the secret of linking on this board. Do not click on the big LINK button. Instead, click on the A (for advance editor).

Manually enter some text, highlight the text, and then click on the SMALL link that is in the editor bar, i'ts close to the right. It will pop a window with a place to post the URL. Use that instead of the big, obvious link button.

And please... do not let anyone know that I helped you use this interface. I might lose my web developer union card.

:-)

Rick

• Members

You're still not getting the song URL in there, I'm afraid, Dave!

Take a look at the Soundcloud link in your posts -- see how there's nothing 'behind' the dot-com part?

It should look something more like this:

https://soundcloud.com/tkmajor/dog-c...-flying-saucer

Unfortunately, this board insists on putting an ellipsis in the display (but not the link, or it would break, of course) of long links in posts here, but, basically, you should see your artist name as well as the song title (in lower case with dashes) in the URL before hitting the SAVE button.

To get the URL, go to your SC song page, click the share button, and you should see the song page's URL highlighted and ready to control-C copy into your paste buffer. Then control-V to past the URL into a forum post here.

OR you can just copy the URL of the song page from your browser's address bar (assuming your browser is set up to show the URL/address bar) and paste it in here.

• Members

Hey guys - the board software quite often strips out the details of a url when the "ADD URL" button is used. I saw this happen a number of times when I returned to the new board for the first time a few weeks ago. So I am guessing he is putting the full url in, and its stripping the details like it did me.

But it works perfectly when the advanced editor is used and instead of using the BIG link button, use the small link button.

• Moderators
That seemed to work finally. Here's the other.

This is great ^^^, but it's not the lyric. It's an instrumental. Really cool. Like Zappa's One Size Fits All era. Inca Roads, etc. Very cool. I think I see the other. Back in a minute

• Moderators
Test

https://soundcloud.com/stickboy/the-...-at-standstill

Ok all this talk of links

I don't know about you guys but with these new boards and with google chrome anyway.... i just paste the link into the reply and it automatically works... no need to go advanced or anything.

Only time I go advanced is to embed a video

Exactly

• Members

This is great ^^^, but it's not the lyric. It's an instrumental. Really cool. Like Zappa's One Size Fits All era. Inca Roads, etc. Very cool. I think I see the other. Back in a minute

This sounds more like a backing track waiting for a melody and lyric to be written. That's probably what he's doing here, but maybe I'm wrong.

• Members

Hey Lee and Oldgit, thanks for the comments. The instrumental I posted was for ear candy for anyone who wanted to listen. I tried for the longest time to come up with anything and it just never happened. So, its a jam at best. It goes way back to 1983-4 or so.

• Members

The structure of the song is great.

The bridge/chorus is wonderful melodically and harmonically.

The verses are very good, lyrically and melodically. But I think you've overstrained your rhymes here and there. I'd go for an

A

B

B

A

C

or

A

B

B

C

D

scheme.

I like that you've rhymed the last line of each verse with the last line of the previous verse. That's very clever, and it's not something a novice would usually think to do. That said, some of the lines you've attached those triple rhymes to are a bit much: innocence past due, passion fresh and new. They seem a bit forced.

But it's got a lot of potential. For the most part it's really well done.

Archived