Fresh Ears Needed! Feedback wanted on mix(s)

Jeff Norberg

• Members

These song have been mixed as a first draft and I would love some feedback or suggestions regarding the mix. Comments on the song(s) are totally appreciated.

My thoughts are that the vocals are too hot in the mix of 'Always on my mind' and that the overall mix of 'Wherever you are' is too wet.

I'm not married to a 'radio ready' mix, so I'm open to all perspectives.

What do you think?

Your time is greatly appreciated.

All the best, -Jeff

http://www.myspace.com/jeffnorbergmusic

• Members

I listened to Always On My Mind, and I think it's very well recorded and mixed.

The vocals are a little overly-prominant maybe but I think that's not uncommon for this kind of song.

There's lots of nice textures going on and it all fits together very well.

Personally, I find it a little dull, but that's me, and it's not my kind of music. I think lots and lots of people will really enjoy the track.

Great job!

• Members

I listened to "Wherever You Are". It sounds pretty good, but I'm going to give a +1 to the dullness factor. From a commercial perspective, dull is not so bad--Coldplay, James Blunt, etc., etc., etc. are a huge drag as far as I'm concerned. To maintain my interest, I'd add an element of harshness to the mix somewhere. As it stands, you've got sweet vocals, nice guitars, subdued drums, and pleasant background vocals. I'd throw in a cowbell, a distorted guitar line, 9th chord, sawtooth synth part, or something like that to break up the through-and-through pleasantness.

Other than that, the mix sounds great to my ears, and I like the song and the arrangement.

Since many people cannot access myspace while at work, and since the myspace music player freqently crashes, it is often recommended that posters use a more reliable streaming site. I use Soundclick.com--it's free, gets through most firewalls, and gets more responses to my posts than my myspace site did.

• Members

The quality is great. The mix is great. Your singing is great. Everything is excellent. I even think the songwriting is great.

But I'll have to say....... the songs are very lite rock-y. Very tame and watered down. It doesn't really grab ya ...... if you know what I mean.

But I agree with the other posters here when they say maybe that's a good thing and is often what is called for.

http://www.myspace.com/thedavecooperexperience

• Members

+1 Lite-rock, easy on the ears, etc.

I actually scrolled down your myspace page looking for indication whether you were a "christian" artist. Not that there's anything good or bad about being a "christian" artist, it's just another genre. I'm trying to say that my first impression was that you were going for that sound.

The songs are pleasant, well-written and well played. I have absolutely no technical criticism whatsoever. The subject matter seems relatively bland, but I can't hear the lyrics all that well, so I can't say for certain. (laptop at the office)

As I've listened to all three songs, I must say that the guitar tones and tasteful use of effects and different guitars is really top-notch. One way to bring some edge and sparkle to the songs might be to try a "live" take, and maybe add some drive to the guitars.

• Members

Originally posted by Jeff Norberg

These song have been mixed as a first draft and I would love some feedback or suggestions regarding the mix. Comments on the song(s) are totally appreciated.

My thoughts are that the vocals are too hot in the mix of 'Always on my mind' and that the overall mix of 'Wherever you are' is too wet.

I'm not married to a 'radio ready' mix, so I'm open to all perspectives.

What do you think?

Your time is greatly appreciated.

All the best, -Jeff

http://www.myspace.com/jeffnorbergmusic

great tunes , like most I'm listening on some cheaper powered pc speakers and it sounded good.:thu:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived