Any love for My songs?

Minitruth

• Members

ummmmm........ahem.

you want a real review for the sake of getting better....or do you want love?

i listened to freedumb and brainfart. (i nearly {censored} myself on the 'brainfart' chorus) and i'm trying to be nice, but that fart at the end was retarded, man. are you serious? it makes me doubt whether this whole this is an honest attempt at songwriting

honestly, this {censored}'s too rough to get to a listener in this state. i like really sloppy stuff, too. i love beck's 'stereopathethic soulmanure' CD, but your work was just comic. i was laughing hard and i think your message is something that you don't intend to be laughed at. so, even though i found it a bit funny, that's not to say that you couldn't develop it into something much, much better. you obviously are working that political/anger angle and we all know that's one that can pay, so keep it - plus, anyone who quotes orwell gets my respect. just develop your presentation better.

and cahoots on the beginning guitar. one of the things i would prescribe for you immediately as a guitarist would be working on structuring your guitar playing into meter better. get a metronome and play your song riffs to it at a slower pace to get the feel of better timekeeping. i say this b/c your meter was really off at points. there was a part in the second tune i heard that the hi hat was hitting a steady quarter note beat and the guitar sounded like it wasn't even playing the same song. that's meter.....that's practice. and, that how to practice effectively.

good luck. post again. i really want to hear what comes of you.

now, go comment on others' posts or else no one's going to take any time to listen to your music.

• Members

I know I suck, but I'm trying to get better. It's hard, writing

riffs and chords, then trying to get a drum loop program to

fit them. Most people say My voice sucks, I'm surprised You

didn't mention that. Thanks, though- I appreciate the honest

critique. Wish I could play with some live musicians, but they

are all dead around here.

• Members

Originally posted by Minitruth

I know I suck, but I'm trying to get better. It's hard, writing

riffs and chords, then trying to get a drum loop program to

fit them. Most people say My voice sucks, I'm surprised You

didn't mention that. Thanks, though- I appreciate the honest

critique. Wish I could play with some live musicians, but they

are all dead around here.

whoa, man. simmer down. nobody said you suck. anyone who says you suck is an asshole...period. that's not the case. are you ready to present your music yet? well, probably not, but that doesn't mean you're not talented. give yourself a break, though. not even six months ago, you didn't know how to play a note, but now you've got five songs started. that's more tha i did six months after i started playing - now you have to work on finishing them better. one common misconception from a beginner songwriter is that once a song is 'done', it's not to be altered. that's some bull{censored}! you're going to revisit these tunes you have now in a year and make them MUCH better.

the one thing i'd say is, the guitar has to fit the drum machine - not the drum machine to the guitar. you have to adhere to the rhythm first. that's a biggie. to get there, try singing your guitar riff over the drum machine, gradually slow the machine's tempo down, make sure you still 'hear' the riff. Then, play it on guitar - not for recording....just for practice. if you did this for 15-20 mins a day, you'd be ready to lay the riff down on tape within a time frame of 2 weeks. guaran - {censored}in' - teed! (vulgarity makes me cooler)

and about the vox: your voice is no better or worse than mine, man. and who even knows what it is yet. you haven't been singing for even a year! so, you just don't know how to use it. keep using it, and then you'll get to a point of familiarity with it that will show you how to make it sound good. this too comes with persistence.

keep posting.....AND CRITICALLY REVIEWING OTHER PEOPLES' WORK. it's absolutely priceless for your writing.

• Members

Wow- Thanks for the positive vibes, man! :thu:

Some great ideas there, I'll try to make My next song tighter.

Of course, Each of these songs are infinately evolving, just

as I am. Actually, though very seriously straight from the heart,

I did try to throw just a dash of humour in there. (Maybe a bit

too much) :freak:

• Members

whoa, man. simmer down. nobody said you suck. anyone who says you suck is an asshole...period. that's not the case. are you ready to present your music yet? well, probably not, but that doesn't mean you're not talented. give yourself a break, though. not even six months ago, you didn't know how to play a note, but now you've got five songs started. that's more tha i did six months after i started playing - now you have to work on finishing them better. one common misconception from a beginner songwriter is that once a song is 'done', it's not to be altered. that's some bull{censored}! you're going to revisit these tunes you have now in a year and make them MUCH better.

thats right and nobody wil make you a better songwriter by calling you an asshole or a genious.As it is the case in most musicians you probably,too,have in some place of your mind "the possible and desired" product.you may not yet have the necessary experience to critically analyze your own songs and compare them with the "possible" but thats a matter of doing rather than thinking.as you do and redo you will notice what you really have and what you actulally do not.

I was not writing music when ? was scribbling things some of which were later published in national literary magazines as "poems" and when ? began to write music ? left writing words.all my songs are from those "poems" that ? once wrote.You dont have to do that.while developing your instrument technique,you should also continue "wirting" lyrics and music no matter what people say.when you have left enough wrack behind you wil be able to evaluate them and identify what is good and bad.

yes your playing and production may cause some commotion among the power elites but its total bull{censored} if you are striving to get your own voice and from that voice ? guess you are very young and total hygiene is a senile desease.

I was not playing the guitar far better than you after six mounths but ? had a slight advantage:? had been playing another string instrument when ? began.I can assure you most people around here are far better players than me.What ? have to say is that dont let instrumnet mastery blurr your musical perception.

I could only listen to one of your songs,freedumb.the player is staggering now.there are some elemntary problems like composion,arrangement,orchestration or the like but these are based upon something else and if it does not exist they are meanindless,that is melody.you have your own lyrical style,which can be polished in time( ? get flushed whenever ? see one of my first attempts at poetry) and whats more important!you have the personal way of combining a melody with it.the rest is a matter of time,experimentation and perpetually:

eep posting.....AND CRITICALLY REVIEWING OTHER PEOPLES' WORK. it's absolutely priceless for your writing.

actually bulesway you should make this part of your signature.I sense some altruistic strategy for the of the community.:D

• Members

Thank You for the kind words, Janusmanus:thu:

Although, surprise- I'm 43 years old. ;)

I'm pleasantly surprised here- Lots of trolling and such on

the other subforums, I was expecting ridicule. What I got was

good useful critique and helpful advice. Awesome!:cool:

• Members

Thank You for the kind words, Janusmanus:thu:

Although, surprise- I'm 43 years old.
;)

Hey brother... I'm 41 and just decided to learn the guitar as well. It can be a daunting place to start from, but you seem to be going great guns!

Your stuff has the increadible appeal of sounding like it comes from an honest place, and it sounds to me like it is going somewhere.

I like your voice, and it works with your genre too.

I agree with others' comments about metre, rythm and use of the drum machine... but I can tell you are going to advance quickly with more practice - and kudos to you for jumping in with both feet and for putting your stuff out there!!!

• Members

I agree that you have a lot of work to do in the rhythm department, but you have a lot of creativity (I listened to "Brainfart" and "Stare into the Void")...not to mention big balls for posting songs after having played only 6 months. No better way to build thick skin than to throw yourself in headfirst.

I'm a little surprised I didn't see King Missle ("Mystical {censored}" album) and Guided By Voices on your influences list...definitely some similarities there.

• Members

Originally posted by rcb

I agree that you have a lot of work to do in the rhythm department, but you have a lot of creativity (I listened to "Brainfart" and "Stare into the Void")...not to mention big balls for posting songs after having played only 6 months. No better way to build thick skin than to throw yourself in headfirst.

I'm a little surprised I didn't see King Missle ("Mystical {censored}" album) and Guided By Voices on your influences list...definitely some similarities there.

+1 on the guided by voices influence. You also sound a little like Mike Rep of Great Plains/Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments and GBV producer in the early days.

I think what I heard there was some of the most interesting and original music I've heard on the internet in years.

"Stare into the void" is a very cool song. Don't try to make yourself sound like everyone else, man. {censored}, you want love? The only thing I could see sucking about your music is if you started hating it because it didn't sound like everything else out there.

Where do you live? How are you trying to meet up with other people?

• Members

Originally posted by makoshark

+1 on the guided by voices influence. You also sound a little like Mike Rep of Great Plains/Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments and GBV producer in the early days.

I think what I heard there was some of the most interesting and original music I've heard on the internet in years.

"Stare into the void" is a very cool song. Don't try to make yourself sound like everyone else, man. {censored}, you want love? The only thing I could see sucking about your music is if you started hating it because it didn't sound like everything else out there.

Where do you live? How are you trying to meet up with other people?

I'm in Southern Vermont, not exactly a hotbed of music activity:rolleyes:

I'm actually hoping to meet other musicians

in forums like this, Jam Session, Ultimate Guitar, etc. The internet

is an enormous learning resource, otherwise I'd be going no

where. Having people say they find things to like about My music

is also a huge help- Thanks to everyone!:cool:

• Members

I'm in Southern Vermont, not exactly a hotbed of music activity:rolleyes:

I'm actually hoping to meet other musicians

in forums like this, Jam Session, Ultimate Guitar, etc.

MYSPACE! Set up a site just to access the classifieds. There's a lot of traffic, and I've run into some decent people there. BandMix is another good one.

• Members

you're only a couple hours from providence, man. there's a really hip art scene there AND when in doubt about the existence of local musicians, check out your college scene. UVT has some really hip guys, last time i checked. (didn't phish come out of there?)

• Members

Originally posted by bluesway

you're only a couple hours from providence, man. there's a really hip art scene there AND when in doubt about the existence of local musicians, check out your college scene. UVT has some really hip guys, last time i checked. (didn't phish come out of there?)

That's in Burlington, about 90 miles away. I'm closer to Albany, NY.

I REALLY need to work with a live drummer- That would help a lot.

• Members

If this was 1967 you would have a record deal. Its weird as hell and thats what I like about it. I'm glad you let those songs of the little yellow bus so they we could play them and they could play with us for a while. wave your freak flag high.

• Members

Originally posted by pontiusplaymate

"you suck"

I am beginning to suspect your sincerity pontius,what do you expect to get from this.Am ? supposed to take none of your posts seriously or are you exempt of taking your other posts seriously.This attitude is the worst kind of masturbation and does not suit your intellect.

And bluesway,forgive me but an "asshole" cannot be critisized for behaving like an asshole.there must be some other jurisdiction in such cases.

• Members

Originally posted by janusmanus

I am beginning to suspect your sincerity pontius,what do you expect to get from this.Am ? supposed to take none of your posts seriously or are you exempt of taking your other posts seriously.This attitude is the worst kind of masturbation and does not suit your intellect.

And bluesway,forgive me but an "asshole" cannot be critisized for behaving like an asshole.there must be some other jurisdiction in such cases.

jesus christ, lighten up. You can take my posts seriously or not, I don't care.

BTW, what's wrong with masturbation?

Also, if this there is a jurisdictional question, i move to quash on the basis of lack of personal jurisdiction. I clearly do not have sufficient minimum contacts w/ the forum state for it to exercise in personam jurisdiction over me.

Washington v. Intl. Shoe'd!

• Members

as a way of appeasing janusmanus' stupid wrath, I will tell you in all honesty that your songs sounded better than I expected them to knowing you've only been playing for six months.

that post is the grape of that wrath...

you have too much to care about, thats why you sound "awkward" in such cases.

jesus christ, lighten up. You can take my posts seriously or not, I don't care. BTW, what's wrong with masturbation? Also, if this there is a jurisdictional question, i move to quash on the basis of lack of personal jurisdiction. I clearly do not have sufficient minimum contacts w/ the forum state for it to exercise in personam jurisdiction over me. Washington v. Intl. Shoe'd!

Your last post shows that you are capable of respect only when that respect is forced out and when it has relevance to third partes.this is not honesty.

There is nothing wrong with masturbation but it normally does not require participation of others.It has to be a solo project.

You have enough presence here in the forums and surely not for the sake of being ignored.

I am not a priest or a policeman or any kind of ethic supervisor,even if ? was my english would not suffice to do the necessary job.this is not as personal as you might expect(you just happen to be the relevant person).The only thing ? respect in this environment is music and the relatively "impersonal chattering" about it.my reaction is my way of forcing myself to stay in a foreign environment.

I respect your music and ? want to maintain my respect to the songwriter too, since you are not an alien to others' presence here...

your agression is unnecessary and is not going to lighten any creature up,

you should care in some other ways than like this...

• Members

you have too much to care about, thats why you sound "awkward" in such cases....

Your last post shows that you are capable of respect only when that respect is forced out and when it has relevance to third partes.this is not honesty.

WTF :freak: seriously, what are you talking about?

especially in this second bit?

• Members

There is nothing wrong with masturbation but it normally does not require participation of others.It has to be a solo project.

As much I hate to see you get involved with this one-man quagmire, you had me laughing out loud with this one.

Minitruth, I'm sorry that your thread was highjacked. Stick around, listen to others and comment, and you'll learn alot. Anyone with your boldness has a lot to offer.

Archived