-"Mediocre Man"

"Whatever happened to
    Honest smiles, Friendly skies
    Good times, happy highs
    Starry nights, easy lives
    Open eyes and open minds"

-"Friendly Skies"

ummmmm........ahem.

you want a real review for the sake of getting better....or do you want love?

i listened to freedumb and brainfart. (i nearly **************** myself on the 'brainfart' chorus) and i'm trying to be nice, but that fart at the end was retarded, man. are you serious? it makes me doubt whether this whole this is an honest attempt at songwriting

honestly, this ****************'s too rough to get to a listener in this state. i like really sloppy stuff, too. i love beck's 'stereopathethic soulmanure' CD, but your work was just comic. i was laughing hard and i think your message is something that you don't intend to be laughed at. so, even though i found it a bit funny, that's not to say that you couldn't develop it into something much, much better. you obviously are working that political/anger angle and we all know that's one that can pay, so keep it - plus, anyone who quotes orwell gets my respect. just develop your presentation better.

and cahoots on the beginning guitar. one of the things i would prescribe for you immediately as a guitarist would be working on structuring your guitar playing into meter better. get a metronome and play your song riffs to it at a slower pace to get the feel of better timekeeping. i say this b/c your meter was really off at points. there was a part in the second tune i heard that the hi hat was hitting a steady quarter note beat and the guitar sounded like it wasn't even playing the same song. that's meter.....that's practice. and, that how to practice effectively.

good luck. post again. i really want to hear what comes of you.

now, go comment on others' posts or else no one's going to take any time to listen to your music.
    gschmitt - singer/songwriter/producer

- The Official gschmitt Website
    - gschmitt on Twitter
    - gschmitt's Facebook Group

Thanks for your support. Really.

Comment

I know I suck, but I'm trying to get better. It's hard, writing
      riffs and chords, then trying to get a drum loop program to
      fit them. Most people say My voice sucks, I'm surprised You
      didn't mention that. Thanks, though- I appreciate the honest
      critique. Wish I could play with some live musicians, but they
      are all dead around here.
      "Life ain't what you make it,
      sometimes life makes you
      sometimes easier to fake it
      in everything you do.
      I'm a low-performance man
      in a high-performance world"
      -"Mediocre Man"

"Whatever happened to
      Good times, happy highs

-"Friendly Skies"

Comment

Originally posted by Minitruth
        I know I suck, but I'm trying to get better. It's hard, writing
        riffs and chords, then trying to get a drum loop program to
        fit them. Most people say My voice sucks, I'm surprised You
        didn't mention that. Thanks, though- I appreciate the honest
        critique. Wish I could play with some live musicians, but they
        are all dead around here.

whoa, man. simmer down. nobody said you suck. anyone who says you suck is an ****************************...period. that's not the case. are you ready to present your music yet? well, probably not, but that doesn't mean you're not talented. give yourself a break, though. not even six months ago, you didn't know how to play a note, but now you've got five songs started. that's more tha i did six months after i started playing - now you have to work on finishing them better. one common misconception from a beginner songwriter is that once a song is 'done', it's not to be altered. that's some bull****************! you're going to revisit these tunes you have now in a year and make them MUCH better.

the one thing i'd say is, the guitar has to fit the drum machine - not the drum machine to the guitar. you have to adhere to the rhythm first. that's a biggie. to get there, try singing your guitar riff over the drum machine, gradually slow the machine's tempo down, make sure you still 'hear' the riff. Then, play it on guitar - not for recording....just for practice. if you did this for 15-20 mins a day, you'd be ready to lay the riff down on tape within a time frame of 2 weeks. guaran - ****************in' - teed! (vulgarity makes me cooler)

and about the vox: your voice is no better or worse than mine, man. and who even knows what it is yet. you haven't been singing for even a year! so, you just don't know how to use it. keep using it, and then you'll get to a point of familiarity with it that will show you how to make it sound good. this too comes with persistence.

keep posting.....AND CRITICALLY REVIEWING OTHER PEOPLES' WORK. it's absolutely priceless for your writing.

- gschmitt on Twitter

Comment

Wow- Thanks for the positive vibes, man!
          Some great ideas there, I'll try to make My next song tighter.
          Of course, Each of these songs are infinately evolving, just
          as I am. Actually, though very seriously straight from the heart,
          I did try to throw just a dash of humour in there. (Maybe a bit
          too much)
          sometimes life makes you
          in everything you do.
          -"Mediocre Man"

"Whatever happened to
          Good times, happy highs

-"Friendly Skies"

Comment

whoa, man. simmer down. nobody said you suck. anyone who says you suck is an ****************************...period. that's not the case. are you ready to present your music yet? well, probably not, but that doesn't mean you're not talented. give yourself a break, though. not even six months ago, you didn't know how to play a note, but now you've got five songs started. that's more tha i did six months after i started playing - now you have to work on finishing them better. one common misconception from a beginner songwriter is that once a song is 'done', it's not to be altered. that's some bull****************! you're going to revisit these tunes you have now in a year and make them MUCH better.

thats right and nobody wil make you a better songwriter by calling you an **************************** or a genious.As it is the case in most musicians you probably,too,have in some place of your mind "the possible and desired" product.you may not yet have the necessary experience to critically analyze your own songs and compare them with the "possible" but thats a matter of doing rather than thinking.as you do and redo you will notice what you really have and what you actulally do not.

I was not writing music when ? was scribbling things some of which were later published in national literary magazines as "poems" and when ? began to write music ? left writing words.all my songs are from those "poems" that ? once wrote.You dont have to do that.while developing your instrument technique,you should also continue "wirting" lyrics and music no matter what people say.when you have left enough wrack behind you wil be able to evaluate them and identify what is good and bad.

yes your playing and production may cause some commotion among the power elites but its total bull**************** if you are striving to get your own voice and from that voice ? guess you are very young and total hygiene is a senile desease.

I was not playing the guitar far better than you after six mounths but ? had a slight advantage:? had been playing another string instrument when ? began.I can assure you most people around here are far better players than me.What ? have to say is that dont let instrumnet mastery blurr your musical perception.

I could only listen to one of your songs,freedumb.the player is staggering now.there are some elemntary problems like composion,arrangement,orchestration or the like but these are based upon something else and if it does not exist they are meanindless,that is melody.you have your own lyrical style,which can be polished in time( ? get flushed whenever ? see one of my first attempts at poetry) and whats more important!you have the personal way of combining a melody with it.the rest is a matter of time,experimentation and perpetually:

eep posting.....AND CRITICALLY REVIEWING OTHER PEOPLES' WORK. it's absolutely priceless for your writing.

actually bulesway you should make this part of your signature.I sense some altruistic strategy for the of the community.
            I found myself in a dustbin, they call it the rising sun

Comment

Thank You for the kind words, Janusmanus
              Although, surprise- I'm 43 years old.

I'm pleasantly surprised here- Lots of trolling and such on
              the other subforums, I was expecting ridicule. What I got was
              good useful critique and helpful advice. Awesome!
              sometimes life makes you
              in everything you do.
              -"Mediocre Man"

"Whatever happened to
              Good times, happy highs

-"Friendly Skies"

Comment

Thank You for the kind words, Janusmanus
                Although, surprise- I'm 43 years old.

Hey brother... I'm 41 and just decided to learn the guitar as well. It can be a daunting place to start from, but you seem to be going great guns!

Your stuff has the increadible appeal of sounding like it comes from an honest place, and it sounds to me like it is going somewhere.

I like your voice, and it works with your genre too.

I agree with others' comments about metre, rythm and use of the drum machine... but I can tell you are going to advance quickly with more practice - and kudos to you for jumping in with both feet and for putting your stuff out there!!!

Comment

I agree that you have a lot of work to do in the rhythm department, but you have a lot of creativity (I listened to "Brainfart" and "Stare into the Void")...not to mention big balls for posting songs after having played only 6 months. No better way to build thick skin than to throw yourself in headfirst.

I'm a little surprised I didn't see King Missle ("Mystical ****************" album) and Guided By Voices on your influences list...definitely some similarities there.
                  “Jazz is not dead. It just smells funny.” - Frank Zappa

http://www.soundclick.com/ryanbeavers
                  http://www.myspace.com/ryan_beavers

Comment

Originally posted by rcb
                    I agree that you have a lot of work to do in the rhythm department, but you have a lot of creativity (I listened to "Brainfart" and "Stare into the Void")...not to mention big balls for posting songs after having played only 6 months. No better way to build thick skin than to throw yourself in headfirst.

I'm a little surprised I didn't see King Missle ("Mystical ****************" album) and Guided By Voices on your influences list...definitely some similarities there.

+1 on the guided by voices influence. You also sound a little like Mike Rep of Great Plains/Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments and GBV producer in the early days.

I think what I heard there was some of the most interesting and original music I've heard on the internet in years.

"Stare into the void" is a very cool song. Don't try to make yourself sound like everyone else, man. ****************, you want love? The only thing I could see sucking about your music is if you started hating it because it didn't sound like everything else out there.

Where do you live? How are you trying to meet up with other people?

Comment

Originally posted by makoshark

+1 on the guided by voices influence. You also sound a little like Mike Rep of Great Plains/Thomas Jefferson Slave Apartments and GBV producer in the early days.

I think what I heard there was some of the most interesting and original music I've heard on the internet in years.

"Stare into the void" is a very cool song. Don't try to make yourself sound like everyone else, man. ****************, you want love? The only thing I could see sucking about your music is if you started hating it because it didn't sound like everything else out there.

Where do you live? How are you trying to meet up with other people?

I'm in Southern Vermont, not exactly a hotbed of music activity
                      I'm actually hoping to meet other musicians
                      in forums like this, Jam Session, Ultimate Guitar, etc. The internet
                      is an enormous learning resource, otherwise I'd be going no
                      where. Having people say they find things to like about My music
                      is also a huge help- Thanks to everyone!
                      sometimes life makes you
                      in everything you do.
                      -"Mediocre Man"

"Whatever happened to
                      Good times, happy highs

-"Friendly Skies"

Comment

I'm in Southern Vermont, not exactly a hotbed of music activity
                        I'm actually hoping to meet other musicians
                        in forums like this, Jam Session, Ultimate Guitar, etc.

MYSPACE! Set up a site just to access the classifieds. There's a lot of traffic, and I've run into some decent people there. BandMix is another good one.
                        Jukejoint Handmedowns (my band)

Find our album on iTunes!

A Month of Songs (Songwriting blog)

Originally Posted by gennation

Neither of us is gay or anything, it just happened.

Comment

you're only a couple hours from providence, man. there's a really hip art scene there AND when in doubt about the existence of local musicians, check out your college scene. UVT has some really hip guys, last time i checked. (didn't phish come out of there?)

- gschmitt on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by bluesway
                            you're only a couple hours from providence, man. there's a really hip art scene there AND when in doubt about the existence of local musicians, check out your college scene. UVT has some really hip guys, last time i checked. (didn't phish come out of there?)

That's in Burlington, about 90 miles away. I'm closer to Albany, NY.
                            I REALLY need to work with a live drummer- That would help a lot.
                            sometimes life makes you
                            in everything you do.
                            -"Mediocre Man"

"Whatever happened to
                            Good times, happy highs

-"Friendly Skies"

Comment

If this was 1967 you would have a record deal. Its weird as hell and thats what I like about it. I'm glad you let those songs of the little yellow bus so they we could play them and they could play with us for a while. wave your freak flag high.

Comment

Working...
                              X