Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to write pseudo-fantasy lyrics without going OTT

Hey all, I have been trying to write some songs lately, and need some good topics to come up with. I have been listening to a lot of Wolfmother lately (don't hate me), and I really like how the lyrics are very mysterious and strange and somewhat fantasy-ish.

Some of the examples of this would be Joker and the Thief, or Dimension.

I would like to know how to chose topics for songs like these and write lyrics that aren't too... epic metal I guess.

Being just a kid I have not had any truly life changing experiences, devastating romances, anything of that kind, and I need something to draw inspiration from.

Thanx,
    The Fool
    This heaven gives me migraine.

Good deals with: 6Strings4Rock, Ajympt, ErickBresnic,
    Timeforheroes, Pfindeis, sa1126, friction, ENX, Sheraton

dreams work well. Surreal things you see on the street. Whatever you want, really. As your sig says, it's a free for all.
    Proud Member of the Epiphone Empire!

Originally Posted by aenemated

if i wanted a daisy rock with goddamn care bears and rainbow brite on it, i'd ****************ing well have it and rock it out like a mother****************er.

Originally Posted by adlo76

maybe the customer service agent didn't speak douchebagenese

YOUR ≠ YOU'RE

Comment

I thought about dreams, I just don't have very exciting dreams.

Lately all I have been dreaming about is going back to school (YIKES!)

Comment

Two words my friend: Magic mushrooms.
        DINOSAUR ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guide: how to ruin someone's day

Comment

Use the stories of others or a scene from a movie. You can write about whats on the news, an issue or cause. Read a movie synopsis and not watch the movie as to not be effected by the background music.
          Raise money for your favorite charity or school just by searching the Internet with GoodSearch - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Support stopping investment from slipping around the sanctions in Darfur. All it takes is to type your name and email and click. 5 seconds of your time. http://www.savedarfur.org/page/content/index/

Feed people and other charitable stuff by clicking once a day. www.thehungersite.com

Comment

Magic mushrooms are still better.

Comment

Yeah, well that is definately not an option.

Comment

Why not?

Comment

Why not?

well maybe he doesn't want to be arrested or overdose or something? I dunno, there's a lot of reasons why people don't want to get high
                  Proud Member of the Epiphone Empire!

Originally Posted by aenemated

if i wanted a daisy rock with goddamn care bears and rainbow brite on it, i'd ****************ing well have it and rock it out like a mother****************er.

Originally Posted by adlo76

maybe the customer service agent didn't speak douchebagenese

YOUR ≠ YOU'RE

Comment

Haha ok. I was just joking around.

I'm still serious about the mushrooms though.

Comment

Go to your local library and find the "fantasy" fiction section. There are a ton of authors that write fantasy or even sci-fi books that you might be able to draw inspiration from. Also watching movies can help too, I guess.

The point is, don't just listen to other bands to get lyrical ideas. Because then you may just wind up writing lyrics that sound too much like those bands. It's important to find your own voice as a songwriter.

Comment

OK... I have no business here, since I really don't listen to that kind of music and never really have. When I listened to metal, it tended to be about real life. The whole D'n'D thing went right past me.

(I wasn't into that fantasy stuff when I was a little kid. Why would I be drawn to it as an adult? When I was a kid, I read sci fi -- and hated space operas and fantasy stuff. I'm probably one of about five hippies who thought The Hobbit/Ring was boring beyond belief. I struggled to get through the first of the recent Ring movies and found myself really annoyed that I had. That said, my fantasy would be living in Hobbitville or whatever it's called. I mean, you want to talk about an attractive and completely unrealizable fantasy -- I wanna live in some little village spread out a long a babbling brook with big ol' trees overhanging everything protecting us... damn... that sounds good. Call it a senior fantasy.)

Anyhow... really the only reason I came in here was to just wonder what a pseudo-fantasy might be...

I mean, pseudo means fake... and fantasy means...

OK... go on about your business.

music and social stuff

Comment

semi-fantasy then. Mr. Smarty pants. And I do not mean like D and D or anything, I mean like lyrics that talk about things that do not really happen in real life, and are mysterious, not like epic metal or anything.

Comment

OK... I stand accused -- and guilty as charged!

And, actually, I think I do kind of know what you mean and I am interested in the surreal and the symbolic.

I was just givin' ya a hard time...

music and social stuff

Comment

Just write about random bull****************. **************** that doesn't have anything to do with anything, but that sounds cool. It isn't that hard. I wrote the following one time when i was high:

Towers made of lights
                              are glaring to the skies
                              road reflections down right in your eyes

she walked into the sea
                              where she will find me
                              the gold light in the fright will be the key

in the fire of a thousand years
                              there are way too many tears
                              rainbow colored roses
                              bury the castle that he choses in the mirr'

I didn't need shrooms for that, even weed works also. That **************** comes close to pink floyd in terms of vagueness. I don't even know what it's about, i just wrote some random **************** down in 5 minutes. If it's vague enough, people will come up with theories of what it's about. I bet the members of pink floyd don't even know what most their spacey lyrics are about (-anymore..., they probably made sense when they where on acid). I never got around working more on them or putting it into a song, i think i might soon, so don't steal them

Comment

Working...
                              X