Scores of Teo Vincent's original compositions

Teo

• Members

Hello and harmony to all,

I've been composing for so long.. well, in this book of scores is a breakdown of the clavinet technique in Stevie Wonder's song "Superstition" so that give you some idea of my era..

This is my first draft of a book of scores. From Love Ballads to Classical Quotes to Latin Jazz to Affirmations.. there are a lot of flavors in this mix!

2.6 mb MS-Word File: Honoring Those That Came Before

Mostly piano, some with voice or other thinks.. he he.. ;)

Love and *LIGHT* *BEING*, Teo Do (Re, Mi, Fa, Soul...) :thu:

• Members

First a big, friendly cut-n-paste welcome to the Songwriting Forum!

The basic mission of the forum is the discussion of the art and craft of songwriting and offering assistance with feedback and constructive criticism on new songs and other works in progress. Of course, giving thoughtful comment requires some time and energy.

Like so much in life -- what you get out of it will likely depend on what you put in...

I hope you'll share your insight with others when they're looking for critiques -- it's a great way to let people get to know you. And the more that people know you as someone who is willing to help out, the more eager they'll be to help you when you're looking for some good ol' constructive crit.

:)

blue2blue

moderator, songwriting forum

SW Forum Guidelines and Resources

Apropos of the strict on-topic, work-oriented nature of this forum, we have some restrictions on what can normally be posted in this forum -- we're primarily oriented to discussion of the art and techniques of songwriting craft as well as workshopping/critiquing songs-in-progress which a forum member is working on and has posted with a request for feedback. And we have a strict no-promo rule.

I'm not really sure how your post fits into that but it seems like your heart is pure and no money will change hands and no small animals will be harmed so...

;)

• Members

Hi Bluey and thanks for the hello!

I think these compositions fit well into: "..discussion of the art and techniques of songwriting craft as well as workshopping/critiquing songs-in-progress which a forum member is working on and has posted with a request for feedback." So we are in harmony!

And... enjoy the music!

Love peace and chicken grease, Teo ;)

• Members
  • Members

we may define Wild Side slightly differently :)

so i've now listened to all of it, and i can firmly say that i do prefer your Not Wild material overarchingly, but that GitanoHipHop is my favorite.

midi freaks me out. it's like i'm 10 at a friend's house playing SEGA all over again.

I'm inherantly curious about the creative process behind these pieces, i'm having a hard time empathizing with this music. where does it come from? why was it made? where is it going? what instruments are actually supposed to be playing it? does that even matter? how much context do you assume on the part of the audience? you do this for a living?

thanks for posting the recordings!

• Members

I'm inherantly curious about the creative process behind these pieces, i'm having a hard time empathizing with this music. where does it come from? why was it made? where is it going? what instruments are actually supposed to be playing it? does that even matter? how much context do you assume on the part of the audience? you do this for a living?

thanks for posting the recordings!

u r n angel! :thu:

I don't know if I answer each question quite clearly if I won't sound like a "my buzzword riddled brother" as you said before.. and I have to say, that's a compliment (suuure!) I've never heard before.. except back in Fortran programming class..

I'm terribly glad you asked all those juicy questions though, and I really appreciate how they are making me think and think again about the meaning of music, songwriting, sharing compositions, and on and on!

I used to compose sort of based on trying out various sounds in my "studio," meaning maybe 3 or 4 sound units all controlled by my sequencer. In the old days I would maybe work on the 808 kick drum sample on my sampler, double that with a percussive bass on another synth, add clavinet groove, piano, string synth - but in reality it was all a test of my 808 kick!

In my even older and older days I had taken arranging at Laney college in Oakland, and have always written true-music-piano-ballads such as:

http://webpageexperience.com/mid/FromMeAndYou00.mid

That was written the day before my son was born (looong ago). I have about 350 compositions to date.

As we speak, I'm determining what courses I'll take this year at the Royal Conservatory of Music. Private Harmony with one teacher, Piano with another, and a Artist-Educator class. On top of that, I'm working on the above-mentioned book of scores, and just today I included pictures of Stradavari the violin maker, Beethoven, and my son and I playing together..

One thing the conservatory taught me, believe it or not, is that I might rather discuss things with like-minded souls like you, rather than teachers! :blah:

Specifically because: I still consider the overly-funky songs like:

http://webpageexperience.com/full/MeHousey.mid

To still be valid music.. though it's not by any means a piano ballad like the previous. So to try and answer your questions, I am incredibly over-creative, wildly diverse and prolific, long ago gave up being "popular" for the more fun goal of making music from the heart, more genuine and authentic, not having to prove anything except that I am true to my heart. These introspective pieces can be embarassing, but in the long run I'm more proud of them:

http://webpageexperience.com/full/Pati.mid

http://webpageexperience.com/full/Heaven.mid

http://webpageexperience.com/full/Kairos.mid

sorry to go on and on, but you really inspired me my EasyTo brother!

Love peace and chicken grease, Teo :wave:

• Members

Back to what Blue0nBlue said, I'm now songwriting based on how much information the score can contain about the song.

The big question on my mind now is this: should I be including guitar chords like G9 D-7 A7+9 etc and should I also include guitar tablature boxes?

These things actually sound from the version of Finale I'm using. In this Circle of Fifths score you can hear a BANG chord where the chords are written, but the real thing is: "How useful is adding the chords to a score?"

http://webpageexperience.com/doc/Add9CirclesBlues04.mid

http://webpageexperience.com/doc/Add9CirclesBlues04a.pdf

• Members

huh, you're a pretty prolific practicioner. so do you write these on paper or on piano first? what does one do at a Royal Conservatory? are you, as a writer, conflicted? Does the call of the tuxedo'd baby grand grow angry when your eye strays to the leopard print casio in the corner?

Patti makes me want to go hang out in the woods. nicely done.

• 7 years later...
  • Members
huh, you're a pretty prolific practicioner. so do you write these on paper or on piano first? what does one do at a Royal Conservatory? are you, as a writer, conflicted? Does the call of the tuxedo'd baby grand grow angry when your eye strays to the leopard print casio in the corner?

Patti makes me want to go hang out in the woods. nicely done.

Sorry it took me a few days to answer. 1) usually I'm jamming/practicing/improvising and find a complex part or innovative twist that deserves working out more and more and then it becomes a section or part of a song.

2) At the RCM I've learned so amazingly much about the history of music and more interestingly the people! I used to think I hated pope Greg but he forced everyone to sing the same way and we have Gregorian Chants which are at least a starting point? Did you know the church only allowed 3/4 timing because of the holy trinity? It IS true that 4/4 and like that are more hip-moving music eh? So the people who built up this amazing science called music I've thankfully learned a lot about. In some ways I knew enough before being there, but the terminology means I can explain things so so so much better, clearer and I can follow the thousands of years of development with my head high.

3) Conflicts as a writer are the meat and potatoes of existence! OK a Buddhist would happily eat his grains of rice but the conflict between is there 8 notes in an octave or 7 then a repeat! Is B sharp C? Can you write a chord for any blob of notes? So thank goodness I am conflicted! :)

4) I've plaed the Casio in my best suit and played junk on the grand.. I don't know why it seems an issue to some. My favorite was when I put my DX-100 on top of the piano and played wild synth bass in one hand and sustained and played octaves of thick juicy chords on the piano making the most distinctly different techniques and styles on each! I also enjoy left hand chords on the piano and wild synth solos with the right. It really depends on the mood, you know?

Strange the call it "A Little Night Music" by Mozart but no one seems to care what time it is when you play it :(

Archived