Procrastination Song

grace_slick

• Members

Sorry, we're heavily debating the pros and cons of the music review and placement business. I think we're almost done.

okay seriously....I've been sitting here is a bit of a daze with bronchitis under the influence of Benydril, Flownase, and some peniciilin thingy.

Wow that was pretty cool 0_0 the doots doots were extra original IMO. It was a happy upbeat song throughout. The last part really took off with the added harmonies. The bridge "Procrastination " part was a nice lift and is what you want - a total change up to give variety. One of your best from a songwriting and arrangement pov I'd say, Vocals are spot on as always....

• Members

Sorry, we're heavily debating the pros and cons of the music review and placement business. I think we're almost done.

okay seriously....I've been sitting here is a bit of a daze with bronchitis under the influence of Benydril, Flownase, and some peniciilin thingy.

Wow that was pretty cool 0_0 the doots doots were extra original IMO. It was a happy upbeat song throughout. The last part really took off with the added harmonies. The bridge "Procrastination " part was a nice lift and is what you want - a total change up to give variety. One of your best from a songwriting and arrangement pov I'd say, Vocals are spot on as always....

Are you in a songwriting groove or what ? You just keep 'em coming!

• Members

Oh yeah. I've only done 3 since I got back from Christmas holidays though. Did a heap more before that. lol

Thanks so much for the comments. I quite like this song...but am I like, shooting myself in the foot by using weird vocals like this? AGAIN it's from the point of view of a man, not myself or even a girl. lol. I don't recall any singers or musicians I like who are popular and successful NOT using their own normal voices on any of their songs...hmm. I actually think I may have been chanelling Ned Flanders from the Simpsons in that voice...and some dumb Homer-type guy (Frank) for the other male voice (including the d'oh d'oh d'oh bits. lol)

PS. Bronchitis SUCKS SO BAD! I hate it. It's my most feared illness (apart from stomach - vomit-related things)

• Members

OMG! I'm so sorry to hear you're not well!! pneumonia is nothing to mess with... I hope you're on a Z-Pak? And relaxing? Chicken soup does more good than people think it does. You need to be doing;

1. Plenty of fluids (Tea is good)

2. Chicken soup

3. Vitamin Supplements

4. Lots of rest and relaxation

I hope you feel better soon.

• Members

There's much to like about this one. But what is not sitting with me is the "cartoon voice" you are using a lot lately. You have a very nice voice. I don't understand why you feel you need to disguise it. Just SING-IT baby.

You're writing a lot of theatrical production type songs; very well and fine. I like songs that tell a story from a point of view. And it's quite OK for the protagonist to reveal his or her personality unintentionally through the lyric. But it's not necessary to make a silly voice for the listener to realize it's a funny song, or that the character is unaware of his glaring faults. That can all come out naturally as the lyric/story develops. It makes for an "Aha" moment for the listener, instead of announcing what you're doing from the get-go.

But. it is engaging vocals that draw the listener along in most songs. And you've got the horses to make it happen.

Just let them run.

• Members

Grace, I'm working on something right now, but as soon as I'm done, will give you a proper critique ( if there will indeed be anything to critique ). I have yet to hear a vocal clip from you that doesn't amaze me, and your lyrics are unique and interesting. Just gimme 30 min, and I'll give this a thorough listen.

• Members

But. it is
engaging vocals
that draw the listener along in most songs. And you've got the horses to make it happen.

All true.:wave:

But these 'comic relief' songs are knid of cool in that they showcase your theatrical side (as well as your Zappa influences;)).

They also set your listeners up quite nicely for when you come out with a more serious song that showcases your true voice.......which, btw, is really quite beautiful.

• Members

Okay Grace, had a listen. A few tiny spots seem off ? Can't quite remember, but I think there were a couple of pitchy spots, though nothing big.

I love the idea, and the doo-doos are awesome :) though the sound seems a bit muddy... mastering, or the fact that it's 2 AM here, and I should be sleeping?

Overall, exceptional, as expected from you :)

• Members

I just also wanted to say to Marshall, I feel as if I seem to be continually sort of...arguing against your feedback or defending myself against it, and I don't want you to think I don't appreciate it, cause I really do.

And I only yesterday was saying to my partner 2 things - 1 - that I wondered if I was verging into territory that is TOO theatrical and over the top, and 2 - were there ANY other successful music people around who sang in voices TOTALLY not their's...apart from maybe Frank Zappa...so...yes. The things you bring up are already concerns of mine...and yet I still think for this song, to have my own normal voice just would lose the mood...but then, what am I trying to do here? I DO want my songs to be successful...meh.

Anyway, yeah.

• Members

OMG! I'm so sorry to hear you're not well!! pneumonia is nothing to mess with... I hope you're on a Z-Pak? And relaxing? Chicken soup does more good than people think it does. You need to be doing;

1. Plenty of fluids (Tea is good)

2. Chicken soup

3. Vitamin Supplements

4. Lots of rest and relaxation

I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks again Robbo. :)

What's Z-Pak?? I'm on antibiotics...though it's viral, not bacterial so they're only preventative. I don't drink tea, but I'm having HEAPS of water. Am very thirsty lately. Chicken soup is yum. I am a lazy sloth normally so rest and relaxation are my normal way of life, heheh! lol

Archived