This endless flame - new song sketch

stickboymusic

• Members

Hello

Just written another new one - i have ideas for some instrumentation so it may seem a little repetitive as it stands - thoughts?

This Endless Flame

you tell me nothings changing

how the water isnt rising in the sea

how theres nothing more beautiful than anger

how theres nothing more beautiful then me

see the colours of the rainbow

how they dissipate with rain

seems the cause brings on the healing

seems the healing will blanket all the pain

but im coming back

into your arms again

for there is no way

to turn to smoke this endless flame

Hear the sound of distant drumming?

Or your heatbeat in your ears?

Feel the tension slowly slipping

down the hillside where we spent all of those years

Find a place to lose your burdens

youve been bearing them too long

let this open space surround you

let the wind carry all your wrongs

so im coming back

into your arms again

seems there is no way

SOLO

I know there is a fever

running deep under your skin

forming lightning in your fingertips

causing thunder to break from deep within

so listen to me close dear

let these words fill up your page

there is beauty in my diction

there is silence in your rage

so im coming back

into your arms again

seems there is no way

[video=youtube;gLUmY1pQ4DQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLUmY1pQ4DQ

• Members

If I wasn't in a meeting right now... I'd listen. I really like your stuff... Just curious, what you use to record these artsy b&w vids?

Reading through, I'm a big fan of this:

I know there is a fever

running deep under your skin

forming lightning in your fingertips

causing thunder to break from deep within

Curious to hear it because the last line seems like it would have too many syllables.

Will report back shortly.

• Moderators

Ooh! I just heard something in my head. This would sound great to the drum feel and basic groove of The La's There She Goes.

And... I thing your chorus' second line (into your arms again), the melody, is too much like the rest of the verses. I'd go somewhere else there melodically to set it apart and offer a better contrast and relief.

And... I want your guitar.

And... I like these lyrics a lot.

And... I was just listening to Juno Reactor and drinking coffee at work so... take what I say with a grain of salt. Or artificial sweetener. Or something...

• Members

Ooh! I just heard something in my head. This would sound great to the drum feel and basic groove of The La's There She Goes.

And... I thing your chorus' second line is too much like the rest of the verses. I'd go somewhere else there melodically to set it apart and offer a better contrast and relief.

And... I want your guitar.

And... I like these lyrics a lot.

Hmmm i was thinking some reverby toms and a bit of snare to give it a mood rather than a rhythm track - i may try a more poppy version but its not what i had in mind

Yeh chorus is a little similar - i want it to feel like part of the song rather than an obvious chorus and am hoping that some nice harmonies will differentiate it enough from the verses - but will see

And no - sorry you cant have my gibson! ;)

• Members

wow this forum getting freaky

take my guitar - take my hair - the clothes off my back - i need nothing.

Take no offense... I'm genuinely envious of your songwriting skills (and your hair!). :)

Oh, I'll take your guitar too...

• Members

I really like it. Great potential.

The extended C chord that starts the chorus seemed too simplistic with just a guitar but I'm sure you have some layering in mind there.

"Turn to smoke this endless flame" also struck me as being a little akward, expecially compared to the rest of the lyrics. I like "this endless flame" so if there is an issue, it i with the first part.

I'm sure this will be a doozy when you are done with it.

• Members

I beg you... please stop. This hurts.... It's painful to hear your work... because you make so many of us novices look bad when you drop {censored} like this that is so far in a different class than even the {censored} you even hear from most professional recording artists...

I'd like to say your enviable talent for & commitment to songcraft is inspiring... but it really does just make me kind of depressed....

I'm not saying I'm Salieri and you're Mozart. I'm saying I'm the guy who is jealous of the guy who strings the violin for the guy who makes him sick: a back-up violinist who hates and would kill to replace the-third string-violinist in an awful & forgotten Salieri opera... who is jealous and spiteful of the first-string violinist that's green over Salieri.... That's how far down the talent & jealousy chain I am...from you... In fact, I might only just be the guy that's jealous of the guy who only gets to empty the bed-pan of the first guy, the violin-stringer. I don't even get to touch the guy that touches the violin....

Anyway: Great song. Great start. It's amazing raw. Can't imagine what you'll do with it polished and recorded.

• Members

Hello - just got a little canon ixus stills camera that does video (in black and white) nothing fancy

Yeh on paper some of the lines look a little wrong - i think they fit fine in melody

I hope.

And That's what I'm talking about - right there. Absolutely. It works splendidly as a whole. A song's not words on a page. The whole thing works together well - I haven't listened to your stuff in a while but you only seem to be getting better at crafting winning material that showcases the best of your voice, words, and playing.

I think what you have that a lot of really good songwriters have is, well, great raw gifts in your voice and musical sense - but even more than that you seem to have a clear sense of who you are as a person and an artist. I get that cause to my ears I didn't hear a false step in this work.

The biggest problem a lot of people have and I certainly have is knowing who I am and exactly what I want to say in a song. And then making the right choices to balance all ingredients at hand to get that across in a good way.

You make all that {censored} look easy. I'm gushing too much. I know. But I get jazzed about people who are good at stuff I really appreciate.

• Members

You have some good suggs already...I would like to know how many mics you are using...it sounds like the vocal is on a different mic than the guiatar...or is it post fx's your using?

On to the music...its good raw, but some soft drums or xylophone for accents and bass is all it appears it would need.

• Members

You have some good suggs already...I would like to know how many mics you are using...it sounds like the vocal is on a different mic than the guiatar...or is it post fx's your using?

On to the music...its good raw, but some soft drums or xylophone for accents and bass is all it appears it would need.

How many mics? Fx? Are you talking about the video? I just stuck my little camera on a box and press record - its got one little built in mic

• Members

Just listened... really excellent. I'd buy your album my friend.

Need any wurli/rhodes/organ on it? I'm your man.
:)

Cool - i will see how i get on

Do you have these actual instruments? I have plug in versions whicj i can use fine but if you are offering the real thing then i will bare it in maind!

• Members

It's reminiscent of early Dylan, especially "Love Minus Zero/No Limit."

One suggestion, "Let the wind take all that you've done wrong." Or something like it. You've got so many exact rhymes all through the piece, particularly within that particular structure, it kind of sticks out.

LCK

• Members

I have Fender Rhodes Mark II (Suitcase model)... I have a Nord Electro 73 which has really nice wurli and rhodes sounds. I do have a digital Hammond and two leslies... but only 1 microphone, so recording live organ would be a challenge. That being said, for demos, the Nord has some really nice Leslie/Organ sounds.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Sorry to dig up an old thread - but i never got round to recording this properly and id like to

just one point (made by LCK)

Find a place to lose your burdens

youve been bearing them too long

let this open space surround you

let the wind carry all your wrongs

Saying wrongS instead of wrong (no s) was sticking out

would it be bad to simply say

let the wind carry all your wrong

the alt suggested was "let the wind take all you've done wrong" which certainly fits.... but the previous line is saying how you have been bearing your burdens for so long...so id like the wind to "carry" them

• Moderators

"carry all your wrongs" is the one

That phrase makes perfect sense to me. It sounds great to me. The phrase "to right these wrongs" works. So why not here as well. I think you've got it. So, the usage of "wrongs" is fine. The added 's' when you don't have one on 'long' is fine for me as well. I love the verse and see no issues at all.

Archived