Write a song with me...

Ontological

• Members

...if you're keen, here's the first bit of verse one:

We''ll plant a

rose garden

So one day we'll have flowers

for our grave

What comes next? Nothing vulgar please. Maybe if this thread succeeds in it's aim each contributor could compose it in their individual styles? I've got a melody in mind for the above but It would be interesting to see how different ones interpret musically the same set of lyrics.

• Members

I have 7-8 rose bushes in my back yard right now. Most of them are 20+ years old, the few that I planted are still small. Summer in DC is very tough on my roses - they pick up a black spot mold infection on their leaves and they look very sad right now (100 degrees F with 100% humidity). But in the spring they are beautiful, and most years I get a second bloom (lagniappe) in the fall. The city workers who pick up my garbage are very careful in the early spring, because after I prune the canes back at least one of the garbage bags by my curb packs a nasty punch if you just grab it. My mom swears by coffee grounds for fertilizing roses, she says she learned this from her uncle John, who had a legendary green thumb. Myself, I go modern, with a store bought fertilizer and store bought fungus spray, but nothing really helps with the kind of humidity we get here. Desert climates seem better for roses, so long as you keep them watered. When I went to Las Vegas after my sister in law was murdered the family that was taking care of my surviving niece and nephew had a beautiful rose garden, complete with drip irrigation.

• Members

When I spent some time in England it was at an old RAF base. What structure isn't old there? Anyway, the grounds around the building, the commons, were nicely landscaped and you couldn't help but notice how healthy the roses were. Even the ivy blanketing the brown bricked structures grew so uniformly you'd think it was under orders. Of course, the Brits kept the commons closely and meticulously maintained. My point is that the usual weather there was coolish and damp all the time and the roses evidently thrived on it. Each bloom was huge, perfectly shaped and the fragrance they gave off was remarkable. The rose beds were very healthy and productive.

About the song -

We'll plant a

rose garden

So one day we'll have roses

For our graves

They will bloom

each season

With fragrance and color to

celebrate our lives

But who will come

plant them

And tend them each year

when we've passed

Nice...

• Members

The fragrance

of our life

will linger - and sweeten

the autumn breeze

Not exactly my style - but staying close to the OP.

From the melody that i've got going this works great as the 2nd half of verse 1. Although I'd like to replace "breeze" with "days" to rhyme with "graves". Feel free to rearrange and mix and match as desired. So what I've got is this;

We''ll plant a

rose garden

for our grave

The fragrance

of our life

will linger -

and sweeten

the/these autumn days

• Members

When I spent some time in England it was at an old RAF base. What structure isn't old there? Anyway, the grounds around the building, the commons, were nicely landscaped and you couldn't help but notice how healthy the roses were. Even the ivy blanketing the brown bricked structures grew so uniformly you'd think it was under orders. Of course, the Brits kept the commons closely and meticulously maintained. My point is that the usual weather there was coolish and damp all the time and the roses evidently thrived on it. Each bloom was huge, perfectly shaped and the fragrance they gave off was remarkable. The rose beds were very healthy and productive.

Or, it could be that I spend too much time working and am neglecting my roses. :(

I remember loving "The Little Prince" as a child, but my kids totally didn't enjoy it. Anyway, here is the little prince watering his rose.

prince4.jpg

• Members

This may be a bit cheesy, but if it ends up as a Country Ballad, then you can serve the cheese in platters.

Verse 1:

We'll plant a

rose garden

for our grave.

The fragrance

of our life

will linger - and sweeten

the autumn days

Chorus:

Buds and spent blossoms

Tell of passing time

Reminders of the moment gone

Without reason or rhyme

I hope that when our petals fall

The garden blossoms on

So there'll always be fresh flowers

For our grave when we have gone.

OK time has moved on, and it's the middle of the night on your side of the pond when most songwriters are tucked up in bed.

But its late afternoon here and a tune has arrived in my head.

And although I can record an MP3 on my H1 or Garageband,

I have no experience of how to post music on the internet, so I won't be able to participate with sharing a finished song.

Here it is : I have avoided the Country Ballad flavour and composed a medium-to-up-tempo melody for the chorus:

Chorus:

C#m................E

Buds and spent blossoms

A....................E

Tell of passing time

G#m..................C#m

............A.............B....Bsus

Without reason or rhyme

E.............................G#m

.......A.......................B

The garden blossoms on

...............E......................C#m

............A................B...........E

For our grave when we have gone

• Members

I like this for the chorus:

Buds and spent blossoms

Tell of love now forgotten

And whisper the sweet scent of life

Yeah when the petals have fallen

All the bees and the pollen

Will come to lay by our side (Digitrax I'm borrowing this last line from you)

The songs that we come up with don't need to be exactly the same. I think if we inspire each other to create our own take on this subject it would be awesome.

• Members

The songs that we come up with don't need to be exactly the same. I think if we inspire each other to create our own take on this subject it would be awesome.

This is the way to go - I need to follow who I am for this to work.

Watch this space.

• Members

You haven't given any indication whether this evolves as a story or stays only as images and a mood, so I didn't know quite where to go with it.

Anyway - I've decided on a story with some metaphysical nuance.

It's still a 1st draft, so I'm bound to make some changes.

Also, I haven't tackled the music for the verses yet, but I'm happy with music for the chorus.

It's an interesting exercise for me to take someone's idea and develop it into a song.

It's going to be more interesting to see where you decide to take it.

Verse 1:

We'll plant a rose garden

So one day there'll be flowers for our grave.

The fragrance of our life will linger

And fill these autumn days.

I know this busy life succeeds

In keeping us apart

But there's a time when everyone

Lives closer to the heart.

Chorus:

Buds and spent blossoms

Tell of passing time

Without reason or rhyme

The garden blossoms on

For our grave when we have gone.

Verse 2:

And when the years have passed

And friends and children'll cease to come

No footfall in our rose garden

Just sound of birdsong and the honeybees' hum

A place of nature's craft

Sweet flowers and brambled thorns

We'll be there in every flower

And new seasons will be born.

Refrain :

There'll always be flowers on our grave

There'll always be flowers on our grave

We'll be the flowers and the thorns

And new seasons will be born

There'll always be flowers on our grave.

• Members

Hey oldgitplayer,

Nice job with the stoy. Hope to hear it soon. I just sat down to have a crack at it myself. I was thinking of how the roses and their scent might spark a new love into existence. But who falls in love at a cemetery?

• Members

Hey oldgitplayer,

Nice job with the stoy. Hope to hear it soon. I just sat down to have a crack at it myself. I was thinking of how the roses and their scent might spark a new love into existence. But who falls in love at a cemetery?

Yep - It's a tough one - that's why the only direction I could take it was to sustain their love in the cycles of nature.

Archived