Music than lyrics(I know again)

Mahuska

• Members

MUSIC OR LYRICS FIRST

SORRY FOR TYPO FOR THREAD TOPIC

After some time way from playing much guitar I did some keyboard stuff

the couple of past months. I thought this pretty and bitter sweet. Since I am usually showing my guitar based songwriting as I can't really do keys. I do wonder if anyone

hears or feels a decent vocal melody with possible lyrics I should pursue? I should mention the 3'rd section comes in too late I fell as I just repeated the first two

Granted with such a rough draft)(again embed help)

http://soundcloud.com/mahuska/amber-mellow-idea

• Members

A vocal melody popped up, but I have to admit to not feeling like it was anything better than anyone else would craft. The progression seems simple enough.

Personally, I get a "The Wall" vibe from this, so I'd suggest listening to that album a few times and then dive back into this one.

• Members

Thanks, I thought perhaps nothing groundbreaking, since it is it's infancy I no attachment and perhaps my heroes can help I have no clue playing keys. perhaps that is why it is so generic

I may still try some variations but did enjoy messing with it

• Members

It's quite atmospheric.

I don't hear a melody per say, but that's because I only invested in a single listen. However, the individual chord changes are quite intriguing. Oswlek has a good idea. When you are done doing that I'd recommend start with a single note on the first chord and see where that leads you...

Good luck and looking forward to hearing it's next step!

Rick

• Moderators

Here's what you do. First, take notice of what notes make up the chord for each change. Let's say it's in C. So your first chord is C E G. Your second chord: Em. Notes are E G B.

OK, now forget all that and start plunking a melody with a piano sound. But hear a singing voice in your head. It probably sounds kinda bland. Now... notice how often you are just playing chord tones and scale tones to connect more freakin' chord tones over the chord. Bleh.

Over your C chord you might be playing C D E E, E D C. Chord tones connected by scale tones. The scale tone her being D. But what if you landed some of the strong beats on a scale tone and hovered there longer than you might if you weren't paying attention.

C D... D, D... E C F.... F GG

Hang onto those D's and F's. Scale tones.

What about the Em? E G B chord tones

Em: B A... A B A... A B B

You work up to landing on the chord tones. But tease the listener with scale tones. Like sex. You don't give it to her when she wants it. You hold back. And that makes the getting it all the better.

• Members

Here's what you do. First, take notice of what notes make up the chord for each change. Let's say it's in C. So your first chord is
C E G
. Your second chord: Em. Notes are
E G B

OK, now forget all that and start plunking a melody with a piano sound. But hear a singing voice in your head. It probably sounds kinda bland. Now... notice how often you are just playing chord tones and scale tones to connect more freakin' chord tones over the chord. Bleh.

Over your C chord you might be playing
C
D
E E
E
D
C
. Chord tones connected by scale tones. The scale tone her being D. But what if you landed some of the strong beats on a scale tone and hovered there longer than you might if you weren't paying attention.

C
D... D, D...
E C
F.... F
GG

Hang onto those D's and F's. Scale tones.

What about the Em?
E G B
chord tones

Em:
B
A... A
B
A... A
B B

You work up to landing on the chord tones. But tease the listener with scale tones. Like sex. You don't give it to her when she wants it. You hold back. And that makes the getting it all the better.

Thanks all. especially Lee ,great input. I will have to study more theory as I play by ear, but do use internet for these tools. I will try and try these ideas, thanks

Archived