Friday Influences Thread 03-02-12

Lee Knight

• Moderators

What boils yer broth? Toasts yer muffins and seasons yer stew? What music has hit you in the past as an "in-the-way kid in the kitchen" or as recently as this morning when you were trying to cook something up on your own as a big boy or girl?

Post 'em cause we want to know.

I've been consuming some awesome 1958 Count Basie big band stuff (Chairman of the Board), I've been playing the latest NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC!! # 42 maybe, thinking of writing and producing a pop tune, as in Katy Perry, Bruno Mars, and all those names I've never heard of, with my 15 year old daughter. She's very pretty, can sing, and has a music freak as dad. Where have I been? This could be fun.

And then there's stuff that has held me captive since it was first released decades ago. '88 in this case. Amazingly timeless for something from the mighty silly Eighties.

Mixing human frailty with its own self destructive drive and passion for love, or is that evil? Tie it up with some sort of aboriginal earth spirit religion stuff that totally mystifies and intrigues me. (Paul Hestor, CH's drummer/artist, gave in to it in 2005 when he killed himself. Or is it he gave up giving into it? The suicidal court jester. Who knew?)

Marching Into Temptation...

[video=youtube;xaB-c7Cxi7A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaB-c7Cxi7A

You opened up your door

I couldn't believe my luck

You in your new blue dress

Taking away my breath

The cradle is soft and warm

Couldn't do me no harm

You're showing me how to give...

Into temptation

Knowing full well the earth will rebel

Into temptation

In a muddle of nervous words

Could never amount to betrayal

The sentence is all my own

The price is to watch it fail

As I turn to go

You looked at me for half a second

An open invitation for me to go...

Into temptation

Into temptation

Safe in the wide open arms of hell

We can go sailing in

Climb down

Lose yourself when you linger long

Into temptation

Right where you belong

The guilty get no sleep

In the last slow hours of morning

Experience is cheap

I should've listened to the warning

But the cradle is soft and warm...

Into temptation

Into your wide open arms

No way to break the spell

Don't tell

• Moderators

Crowded House has held up amazingly well... I love that band.

I know. I'll tell ya... that 2nd album kinda went under the radar at the time. Temple of Low Men. Into Temptation is off that one. And at the time I remember thinking how uneighties it felt. How off to the side lines and full of non-distracted focus the album felt. And it's true. Another from that same album... sounds like sleep deprivation.

[video=youtube;JlRobLl4pGA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlRobLl4pGA

She said I could never do that

But I know you can, you are in my dream

We are one person not two of a kind

What was mine is now in your possession

I could feel you underneath my skin

As the wind rushed in sent the kitchen table crashing

She said nobody move

Or I'll bring the house down

I hardly know

Which way is up or which way down

People are strange God only knows

I feel possessed when you come around

It was one of those times

Wished I had a camera on me

Six foot, now off the ground

I know how that sounds

Look above you and beyond me too

That kind of view don't need an explanation

I'm not lying, not asking for anything

I just want to be there when it happens again

I hardly know

Whenever you invade my home

Everything I know flies out the window

It's above you and beyond me too, I don't want an explanation

But I'll be there when you bring the house down

I hardly know

People are strange

And I feel possessed when you come around

I feel possessed

I feel possessed

I feel possessed

• Members

In 1995, my senior year of college, my best music buddy and I somehow managed to join a band with some older guys from the area. Him on guitar, me on keys. I think my buddy was working at the local 7-11 and somehow struck up a conversation with one of his regular customers... turned out they had music in common. So we joined his band... and met the rest of the guys. The bass player was John Wallace. Big John Wallace. Harry Chapin's bass player through his entire career. John, my buddy and I got to be pretty close... he started working on our original material with us. We'd go to his house every Friday night, work on music, drink beers, shoot the {censored}... He'd tell us stories from his days on the road with Harry. He invited Harry's brother Tom down to listen to the original music we'd written. Very cool experience for a young, inexperienced musician like myself. I really dug into Harry Chapin's catalog back then...

[video=youtube;c5dwksSbD34]

• Members

He's a regular ole HC forumite, but I've been chasing his capabilities for a long time now. He does the big things well (vocals, lead guitar, slick production) but I'm starting to understand that it is the little things (backing vocals, drum fills) and the attention to detail that pushes him over the top.

He blew me out of the water again in this month's Coverfest - this time with a studio slick little piece of 80's power pop.

Utopia - Crybaby

• Members

Like most songwriters, I'm a big Neil Finn fan. Amazingly enough, though, I wasn't really aware of who he was until being bowled over by this song. Only after hearing this did I dig deeper into his catalog and realize how long he'd been around (and how many of his songs I'd already known).

[video=youtube;cHfU48ARFmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHfU48ARFmE

• Moderators

431666_400913303258231_100000186937737_1

That is impressive^

And it is interesting to see solfege used like that. I took a class in college and it was a personal milestone in my understanding of music. We'd be asked to sing a simple melody played on piano for us, right back, all in in Do Re Mi's. It really helps you "get it". Clever idea for notation...

• Members

Like most songwriters, I'm a big Neil Finn fan. Amazingly enough, though, I wasn't really aware of who he was until being bowled over by this song. Only after hearing this did I dig deeper into his catalog and realize how long he'd been around (and how many of his songs I'd already known).

Not familiar, but it's really nice stuff.

LCK

• Members

My biggest song writing influence of all time, even though I'm still a newb at songwriting lol:

[video=youtube;RE-3BjwuU4w]

Much of his music, mostly his Pride and Glory and Book of Shadows work, can reflect so many emotions and situations I have been in in life, its crazy. Its my dream to meet Zakk Wylde one day and tell him how much of an impact his music has made on my life and as a guitarist. Sadly, a lot of people dont like him.

• Members

Wow, pretty impressive. ^^^ That's a Todd song?

I think so. I'm not familiar with the original but he posted it as Utopia and it certainly sounds like something Todd would have written.

He also writes originals. They're pretty good to start with and then they get the benefit of his impeccable performance and production skills. I think he wrote the songs for a children's musical that had a run off-Broadway last year. Last I heard he was living somewhere in San Diego and gigging fronting a Journey tribute band.

• Members

LCK

Those two are emblematic of why I liked the early Doors.

In fact, while I'd heard "Light My Fire" around, I was still in my rock-boycott phase.

But a pal who knew me since grade school and knew my path through doo wop, the twist craze, and then surf rock instrumentals -- and then out of rock when 'surf' vocals came in -- suggested that interesting things were going on. He liked Cream, the Airplane, and especially the Doors. He loaned me the Doors albums and later the first two Cream albums. (I bought the Airplane's "Surrealistic Pillow" on my own. That knocked me out, too.)

When I heard the Weill song, which I knew from Dave Van Ronk's version [who didn't change the 'sex' of the song -- a practice I was more familiar with because of the folk I listened to -- I was at once a little reproachful at their cowardice (which looks more like reasonable prudence in hindsight :D ) and impressed that they'd at least crossed paths with Weill. For me, that was the highlight of the album and when I taped a copy on my mono 5" lo fi recorder [statute of limitations is out on that one, RIAA], I left off the lugubrious "Baby, Light My Fire."

Strange Days, though, was what really sealed the deal. I loved "People Are Strange," "You're Lost Little Girl," "Strange Days," "Unhappy Girl," "My Eyes Have Seen You," and, of course "I Can't See Your Face in My Mind." Basically anything at the intersection of weird, spooky, and pop.

Archived