In This Corner

dramey

• Members

I don't have much on this yet, and haven't had much luck finding a melody or chords.

I am writing a lot of political stuff of late. It's an easy target I guess. I've often compared politics to wrestling. Everyone knows they're being lied to, but people pick sides and cheerlead like there is actual substance to it beside its entertainment value. It dawned on me a while back that I need to set that metaphor to music. The idea is a face off between politicians in the setting of a wrestling match.

In one corner we have the republican wearing a flag as a cape and a cross on the crotch of his shiny red pants (a metaphor within a metaphor). In the other corner we have the democrat throwing money to the crowd (that hes previously stolen from them) . In the bridge (I think) I want a line about how the fight looks like a pile of elbows, elephants and asses and in the final verse we find them both going at it in the corner of some seedy hotel room and celebrating the fact that they can retire off the pay per view rights.

I'm kinda stuck on tone right now. Sure the idea is ridiculous, but a serious folksy thing could add some weight to it. At the same time, it's kinda crying out to me to be a silly stupid straight ahead rock song with a bell and crowd noise starting it off, and an announcer introducing the contestants. I keep going back and forth on it.

Anyways this is just something I am kicking around. I have too many to finish to get serious on another.

• Members

Go for it! - If the US needs anything at the moment, it needs the voice of the people. This applies to almost anywhere in the world today.

Choice has been taken away craftily by stealth, and it needs to be returned to the people or alternatively taken back.

• Members

Elbows, elephants, and asses. I think you have the title written, at least.

I've tried writing about political topics a number of times. Two recurring problems I have are 1) the songs come off as preachy and/or whiny, and 2) the songs get dated pretty quickly. I think the key to dealing with the second issue is to try not to get too specific. Easier said than done when you're pissed off at your current crop of politicians. I'm not sure I've found the solution to the first issue yet.

With the particular imagery you have described, I'm not sure a serious folksy thing would work. Your imagery is pretty sarcastically comical. The rock idea might work, or maybe country if that's in your repertoire of styles.

Archived