Three. (April Stick Challenge)

rickidoo

• Members

(Formerly morning, morning)

Thanks to Stick and Oswlek for your suggestions on the lyrics (on what was previously titled morning, morning). Much appreciated.

1 min 19 sec

Three. (Soundcloud audio)

©2012 Rick Dieffenbach

Morning, morning

a new day, dawning

as daddy bakes

and mommy wakes

baby plays

toys on his tray

he laughs out loud

a happy child

There was a time when all they knew was me and me

A morning stroll

is never old

With baby there

and mommy's care

There was a time when all they knew was just me and me

And then there were three...

three...

a family

• Members

Don't thank me! I wanted you to change more than you did and was completely wrong! I do love "a happy child", that is a nice line.

The "threeeeeee....." is gorgeous. Perfect. The continuous line "there-was-a-time..." is also very strong.

The only spot that I think sounded a little funny is "toys / on his tray", otherwise you nailed it. I was invested enough go into a string solo and came back for another v/c.

• Members

Very nice... very Rickadoo. Watch out, here comes a production question: All of your vocals seem to have a very unique 'sound'. I'm not sure what it is? What do you do to record them?

yeh i'd be interested in knowing... my guess would be ...short delay... short reverb... and possibly slight auto tune?

• Members

Thank you everyone for the compliments and suggestions. It made my day.

Bee and Stick - production wise. Stick, you are right in your guesses (except I used something called V-vocal for pitch adjustment), but there are two other things I do which I feel have helped a lot.

(I want to mention for delay, I limit the delay part to lower frequencies only. It makes it sound more like reverb that way and less echoing in a canyon.

The first thing I use is a harmonizer to throw an octave voice over the original voice. In the part of the song of "3" where it sounds like one voice (which is all of it except the chorus) , it is actually my voice with an ever so slight mix of 1 octave over. The particular harmonizer I use is Antares EVO. It can do a lot but most of the time my use is limited to a 1 octave overlay. In "3", for the chorus, I simply turn up the volume on the harmonizer so that the 1 octave above voice is louder, you can actually hear it.

Adding just a slight amount of 1 octave harmony adds a touch of richness to the voice that I would not otherwise have.

The 2nd thing I do involves using a concrete limiter (in addition to a compressor). I assume you know what that is, but if not, it can be thought of as a compressor that has a brick wall for the sound. Sound can't get any louder. If not overused, the net effect is that the vocals are maintained at a higher level more consistently. Over use results in vocals that somehow feel grating. So I just use it a touch. It has the net effect of rising the vocals above the music more consistently.... BUT it also seems to have a net effect that he vocals fill out a slight amount. So it enriches their texture - as long as it is not overused.

Sometimes I use the concrete limiter on just the vocals, and sometimes I put it on the entire mix. In the case of "3" it is on the entire mix. It still manages to bring out the vocals. In the song "Sailing Blue Sky" I have it on both the vocals and the mix itself. Again, using just a little is the key.

I never in a million years thought anyone would be asking about anything to do with my vocals. I am delighted.

BTW, I am using Sonar Producer Expanded. V-Vocal is built in.

If you have any questions and want to send me a direct email, it is rick@allureiw.com.

Rick

• Members

Thank you everyone for the compliments and suggestions. It made my day.

Bee and Stick - production wise. Stick, you are right in your guesses (except I used something called V-vocal for pitch adjustment), but there are two other things I do which I feel have helped a lot.

(I want to mention for delay, I limit the delay part to lower frequencies only. It makes it sound more like reverb that way and less echoing in a canyon.

The first thing I use is a harmonizer to throw an octave voice over the original voice. In the part of the song of "3" where it sounds like one voice (which is all of it except the chorus) , it is actually my voice with an ever so slight mix of 1 octave over. The particular harmonizer I use is
. It can do a lot but most of the time my use is limited to a 1 octave overlay. In "3", for the chorus, I simply turn up the volume on the harmonizer so that the 1 octave above voice is louder, you can actually hear it.

Adding just a slight amount of 1 octave harmony adds a touch of richness to the voice that I would not otherwise have.

The 2nd thing I do involves using a concrete limiter (in addition to a compressor). I assume you know what that is, but if not, it can be thought of as a compressor that has a brick wall for the sound. Sound can't get any louder. If not overused, the net effect is that the vocals are maintained at a higher level more consistently. Over use results in vocals that somehow feel grating. So I just use it a touch. It has the net effect of rising the vocals above the music more consistently.... BUT it also seems to have a net effect that he vocals fill out a slight amount. So it enriches their texture - as long as it is not overused.

Sometimes I use the concrete limiter on just the vocals, and sometimes I put it on the entire mix. In the case of "3" it is on the entire mix. It still manages to bring out the vocals. In the song "Sailing Blue Sky" I have it on both the vocals and the mix itself. Again, using just a little is the key.

I never in a million years thought anyone would be asking about anything to do with my vocals. I am delighted.

BTW, I am using Sonar Producer Expanded. V-Vocal is built in.

If you have any questions and want to send me a direct email, it is

Rick

Good stuff - its really working for you and giving you a distinct sound

Archived