BLOCKBUSTER CHALLENGE AUG 2012 (Using IllinoisJack Lyrics)

stickboymusic

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Awesome idea. I had to make sure to write my song before listening to any of the others, but here it is: http://soundcloud.com/shortchord/theres-that-moon-again

Some VERY strong contenders here. This is more fun than I'm allowed. I have to go hit myself with a hammer now. brb.

I have to say: you write lyrics that are easy to put a tune to.

• Members

Oh, man, if Stick's 'competing,' I'm not gonna stick around and get beat up further. :D

LCK already delivered a really nice improvement on my now humbled effort. ;)

Seriously, cool Challenge!

I'm listening to shortchord's version. A little more on the gentle folkie side. Nice. :thu:

It's fun seeing what you came up with separately. LCK had built on a couple elements in my version, but made some very nice improvements. Interesting to see a pretty different musical take on the lyrics.

• Moderators

WHAT A FUN IDEA!!! OK, my verse is definitely ripped from something, but it might fly if I were to consciously rework the melody around that same rhythm. The chorus is kinda interesting though. Maybe. I added a line doe-c-doe for temp filler, it felt like it wanted a group of 3 there for my treatment.

Anyway... you've guys have been busy! So here's my rush job. 15 minutes after reading the lyric and challenge. Man, you guys are quick!

[video=youtube;JYtOkQ8n5dA]

• Members

WHAT A FUN IDEA!!! OK, my verse is definitely ripped from something, but it might fly if I were to consciously rework the melody around that same rhythm. The chorus is kinda interesting though. Maybe. I added a line doe-c-doe for temp filler, it felt like it wanted a group of 3 there for my treatment.

Fabulous. You knocked it out of the park!

Man, I need to take guitar lessons...

LCK

• Members

So many creative people here. So many great musical ideas. I don't want to single anyone out for fear of slighting someone - suffice it to say - this is one of the greatest experiences I've had (musically). You guys blow me away. Great ideas, things I NEVER would have thought of. Thank you all. I am humbled.

• Members

Lee Knight wins on stage patter. :)

Rick D. wins for full-on arrangement.

shortchord sounded least like I thought he would.

chris c has the mellowest version.

I still like Blue2Blue and LCK's versions.

It's interesting to hear all these different approaches to the same lyric. :thu:

• Members

When I woke up this morning, I played all of the songs, including mine.

Mine - I absolutely cringed when i heard it. The vocals were so pitchy. Geez. I think I have fixed that now. I also rebalanced, added some accents, and added some sfx.

Blue - Liken it. Almost early James Taylor. I think it could have been slightly slower for more emotional appeal. Nice.

SA - I really love the chorus. The verse melody is pretty good too.

LCK - superb. You ooze talent. And that chorus. Absolutely perfect. Lordy.

Chris - What a beautiful lulible like song. Of all the songs I've heard so far in this set, I could easily hear your version in some movie.

Short - Nice country tune. Love the guitar. I was particularly intriqued with the chorus. And the arrangement really builds nicely. Well done.

Lee - The second in this set with a flavor of James Taylor. Of all the songs, yours seems to me to be the most sing-along-able. I could also see your version, with some slight changes to the lyrics, becoming a childrens song.

BRAVO to all. Also a thanks to Stick for posting this songwriting-muscle-building challenge.

Rick

• Members

A FORMAL NOTE FROM THE MODERATOR:

Before Jack makes any final decisions regarding his 'musical suitors,' I thought it was important to note that the forum rules have been modified to make a formal distinction between soliciting critique/feedback in a critique thread and those seeking a full collaboration.

Here is the newly amended rule in question:

• Suggestions become property of the songwriter where applicable

Suggestions or contributions made to a song or composition in a critique thread should be considered a gift to the songwriter/composer and automatically become his or her intellectual property. Those seeking collaboration opportunities should consider the work of others as belonging to its creators until a formal private arrangement is made.

:)

• Members

Suggestions or contributions made to a song or composition in
a
critique thread
should be considered a
gift
to the songwriter/composer and automatically become his or her intellectual property. Those seeking
collaboration opportunities
should consider the work of others as belonging to its creators until a formal private arrangement is made.

:)

You will hear from my lawyers soon!!

I like it... it's getting heavy in here.

;)

• Members

:D

There was a lot of weight on that 'where applicable' phrase before. A helpful party suggested it might be better to add some language explicitly separating critique/feedback thread suggestions from the 'collaboration opportunity' threads or other collaborative arrangements that might arise and making it clear that, until collaborators reach a formal arrangement between themselves, their contributions remain their own, discrete intellectual property.

As suggested elsewhere, it's best to have a clear, formal understanding of everyone's rights and responsibilities in a collaborative situation. What might seem fussy or over-cautious in the beginning might prove prudent and save a lot of grief later on. ;)

• Members

Sorry, but unless it's somehow "required" or "Implicitly expected" I would really rather not name a single person as a "winner". We all win because we all learn along the way. Thank you all for the great feedback/suggestions/comments and - most importantly - music. Perhaps I will contact someone privately, perhaps I won't. But unless it's some breech of etiquite, I declare it all a tie.

• Members

Sorry, but unless it's somehow "required" or "Implicitly expected" I would really rather not name a single person as a "winner". We all win because we all learn along the way. Thank you all for the great feedback/suggestions/comments and - most importantly - music. Perhaps I will contact someone privately, perhaps I won't. But unless it's some breech of etiquite, I declare it all a tie.

It's OK Jack - because as you say - we are all winners.

The idea of the monthly challenge is for us to challenge ourselves and maybe move out of the comfort zone that we usually write in. It's not a Collaboration Thread.

The WIP threads and the Collaboration threads are different from the Monthly Challenge.

Archived