Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

BLOCKBUSTER CHALLENGE AUG 2012 (Using IllinoisJack Lyrics)

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLOCKBUSTER CHALLENGE AUG 2012 (Using IllinoisJack Lyrics)

Hello

It's been a while and Illinois Jack posted some lyrics that seem to have perked the interest of a few people here.

I thought I'd make it an official challenge.

Lyrics. (i'm sure he doesn't mind if you alter slightly to fit.)

Some VERY strong contenders here. This is more fun than I'm allowed. I have to go hit myself with a hammer now. brb.
    Illinois Jack

Some of my lyrics are posted on http://illinoisjack.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cool idea, Stick. Are you going to participate?

LCK
      "I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

Awesome idea. I had to make sure to write my song before listening to any of the others, but here it is: http://soundcloud.com/shortchord/theres-that-moon-again

Some VERY strong contenders here. This is more fun than I'm allowed. I have to go hit myself with a hammer now. brb.

I have to say: you write lyrics that are easy to put a tune to.

Comment

Oh, man, if Stick's 'competing,' I'm not gonna stick around and get beat up further.

LCK already delivered a really nice improvement on my now humbled effort.

Seriously, cool Challenge!

I'm listening to shortchord's version. A little more on the gentle folkie side. Nice.

It's fun seeing what you came up with separately. LCK had built on a couple elements in my version, but made some very nice improvements. Interesting to see a pretty different musical take on the lyrics.

music and social stuff

Comment

shortchord's version. Nice.

Agreed.

LCK
            "I write from a different place. I do not even know what it is called, or if it has a name. It just comes and I sculpt it. But it is also a lot of hard work." —Van Morrison

Comment

I had a lot of fun playing with this. This was done very quickly. And, ah... I may have ripped some songs off. Not purposely, just did this quickly.

Jack - just wanted to say - I absolutely loved your lyrics. Superb.

Redwing Blackbird
              www.rickdieffenbach.com.

Comment

Hey Rick,

I love what you did with the chorus. Really cool idea.

LCK

Comment

WHAT A FUN IDEA!!! OK, my verse is definitely ripped from something, but it might fly if I were to consciously rework the melody around that same rhythm. The chorus is kinda interesting though. Maybe. I added a line doe-c-doe for temp filler, it felt like it wanted a group of 3 there for my treatment.

Anyway... you've guys have been busy! So here's my rush job. 15 minutes after reading the lyric and challenge. Man, you guys are quick!

Comment

I didn't listen to any before I did mine. Boy, everybody's is really good. It's funny how similar they are, all of ours, in some respects. Very cool idea.

Comment

WHAT A FUN IDEA!!! OK, my verse is definitely ripped from something, but it might fly if I were to consciously rework the melody around that same rhythm. The chorus is kinda interesting though. Maybe. I added a line doe-c-doe for temp filler, it felt like it wanted a group of 3 there for my treatment.

Fabulous. You knocked it out of the park!

Man, I need to take guitar lessons...

LCK

Comment

So many creative people here. So many great musical ideas. I don't want to single anyone out for fear of slighting someone - suffice it to say - this is one of the greatest experiences I've had (musically). You guys blow me away. Great ideas, things I NEVER would have thought of. Thank you all. I am humbled.
                        Illinois Jack

Some of my lyrics are posted on http://illinoisjack.blogspot.com/

Comment

Lee Knight wins on stage patter.

Rick D. wins for full-on arrangement.

shortchord sounded least like I thought he would.

chris c has the mellowest version.

I still like Blue2Blue and LCK's versions.

It's interesting to hear all these different approaches to the same lyric.
                          Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

I threw a couple of arrangement ideas on my track:

http://soundcloud.com/shortchord/theres-that-moon-again-1

Comment

I threw a couple of arrangement ideas on my track:

http://soundcloud.com/shortchord/theres-that-moon-again-1

I really like it.

Once again, I feel the need to take guitar lessons...

LCK

Comment

Working...
                              X