Inspired by Stickboy's last effort

rhino55

• Members

EDIT: VIDEO in post #31

I'm a big fan of the rain too.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/sin...=11918375&q=hi

Learned a cool capo trick. Standard tuning with the capo flipped around backwards to where only the A D G strings are capo'd at the second fret. It makes for an open E suspended kind of sound. If you fret the G string on the 4th fret, it gives you an E chord.

This is the first one I wrote with it.

I don

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stickboymusic View Post
Liking the song

I dont understand this capo thing?

How on earth do you get the capo to only affect those strings!?
It is one of the kind that clamps on. The back side is shorter than the front side. You just flip it around.

• Members

I love your subject matter and lyrics. I've worked outside in rain, cold, heat, snow, bugs, mud, etc. for over 20 years now. The joy of being exposed to the elements is something that office and house dwellers just don't quite get. There's a certain atavistic pleasure in the discomfort. Of course, I usually have a hot shower waiting for me at the end of the day. One of the guys I supervise, who has worked outside a lot longer than I have, has a great saying for rainy days: you're not really wet until water runs down the crack of your ass. He likes to tell that one to all the college student interns who are just getting initiated to working outdoors.

I do have a bone to pick with your melody, though. The verse melody uses the same two-line pattern four times in a row. My ear wants to hear some variation after the second time.

Oh, BTW, fantastic finger picking, as usual.

• Members
I must be being simple

"Learned a cool capo trick. Standard tuning with the capo flipped around backwards to where only the A D G strings are capo'd at the second fret."

SO you are missing the Low E...this makes sense

But

also missing the B and high E

Can not fathom this at all.

Call me simple
You can get short arm capos that are specially designed to do this.
Then there is the ultimate capo that can be set to hold down select individual strings

http://www.spidercapo.com/

I just use the common and garden variety myself.

• Members

Maybe your seasons are different over there, I am sure they are.

In the uk the spring is usually the wettest (april showers and all that(although our summer has been nothing but wet this year!!))

Fall (autumn) is usually a little calmer, cool and orange, not "usually" so wet.

Spring time is alright
But I much prefer the fall
Something about the cool air
Makes the water warm my heart
Wet cloths sticking to me
Water drops on your glasses
Soggy shoes and soggy hair
Mixing down with my eye lashes

• Members
I must be being simple

"Learned a cool capo trick. Standard tuning with the capo flipped around backwards to where only the A D G strings are capo'd at the second fret."

SO you are missing the Low E...this makes sense

But

also missing the B and high E

Can not fathom this at all.

Call me simple
Did it make any more sense after my last post?

If not, I can post a picture tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
I love your subject matter and lyrics. I've worked outside in rain, cold, heat, snow, bugs, mud, etc. for over 20 years now. The joy of being exposed to the elements is something that office and house dwellers just don't quite get. There's a certain atavistic pleasure in the discomfort. Of course, I usually have a hot shower waiting for me at the end of the day. One of the guys I supervise, who has worked outside a lot longer than I have, has a great saying for rainy days: you're not really wet until water runs down the crack of your ass. He likes to tell that one to all the college student interns who are just getting initiated to working outdoors.

I do have a bone to pick with your melody, though. The verse melody uses the same two-line pattern four times in a row. My ear wants to hear some variation after the second time.

Oh, BTW, fantastic finger picking, as usual.
I used to do a bunch of work for a contractor that always said the same thing!

I'll see what I can do about mixing up that pattern.

• Members
Maybe your seasons are different over there, I am sure they are.

In the uk the spring is usually the wettest (april showers and all that(although our summer has been nothing but wet this year!!))

Fall (autumn) is usually a little calmer, cool and orange, not "usually" so wet.

Spring time is alright
But I much prefer the fall
Something about the cool air
Makes the water warm my heart
Wet cloths sticking to me
Water drops on your glasses
Soggy shoes and soggy hair
Mixing down with my eye lashes
We get the April showers too and on a good year afternoon summer rains too. Perhaps, maybe part of why I like fall rains so much is they don't happen as often. Hmmmm... That might be worth exploring in the lyric.

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Oswlek View Post
I prefer it the way it is. There are more than enough references to the rain to make "the weather" clear and squeezing a "wet" in before "weather" worsens the phonetic flow, IMO.

I agree that the verses need more variation. The opening line of the song is very cool, but by the time the second verse is wrapping up, I'm already tired of it. The chorus is terrific, great flow.

Thanks. I'm going to work on getting some variation in the verses.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LCK View Post
I like it.

There were two words that kind of stuck out as not belonging: "highlight" and "baggage."
I kind of like highlight but am totally agreed on baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
Cool tune! Clever idea.

I agree with Lee about "highlight" and "baggage". Both feel out of character with your voice and persona. Maybe something like...

I don

• Members
Picture please.

Sorry its not "really" thread related wink.gif
The one I have looks like this, except it's red... not sure how that effects the tone, but it could.

Kyser-Guitar-Capo-300x300.jpg

The clamp part goes up and short side with the clear plastic on it goes on the strings. I'll can post a pic of it on my guitar when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by rsadasiv View Post
Dynamite picking!
Thanks brah

• Members

Someone who understands

The joy of being cold and wet

who can let things roll off their back

And make me want to forget

The troubles of the day

That set the frame work for the night

The cold rain brings her a smile

I trust everything is going to be alright

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LCK View Post
Someone who understands
The joy of being cold and wet
who can let things roll off their back
And make me want to forget
The troubles of the day
That set the frame work for the night
The cold rain brings her a smile
I trust everything is going to be alright
I could kiss you!

Might need to play with the wording a bit, but I love the idea, plus it is another reference to the water. Two cheers for double entendres!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rhino55 View Post
The one I have looks like this, except it's red... not sure how that effects the tone, but it could.

Kyser-Guitar-Capo-300x300.jpg

The clamp part goes up and short side with the clear plastic on it goes on the strings. I'll can post a pic of it on my guitar when I get home.
That's the one I have, and there must be something to the shape of my neck because there is no way to get a good sound with it on backwards.

Archived