Lee Knight

• Members

I was listening to Pandora this morning at work and this tune came on. When I heard it, for whatever reason, I thought this sounds like that rhino55 fella from that songwriting forum. I havn't listened to too much of rhino's stuff and don't know him at all, but the few demos I have heard sound like they would fit right in with this.

So FWIW, this reminds me of you rhino55

[video=youtube;dyMAz1tZBDY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyMAz1tZBDY

• Members

Phil!

I always love those sometimes woody/sometimes bitey, scooped bass sounds that guys like Lesh, the Airplane's Jack Cassidy, the Move's Jeff Lynne, or Yes's Chris Squire have gotten over the years.

Speaking of which, my favorite Move track -- and one of my all time favorites...

[video=youtube;ENxe4_D4gPQ]

Best opening lines of all time...

"People throwing pennies in my soup

expecting me to be ashamed of you... "

• Members

Jack Sheldon was my favorite comedian of the 1960s. This is not his best routine, but it cracks me up.

[video=youtube;vM0ZJdD44rk]

He's also a great singer.

[video=youtube;cSgHg-knEQ0]

He also played sweet, beautiful jazz trumpet.

[video=youtube;THVbabl8ae4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THVbabl8ae4&feature=related

I don't think there's never been anybody like him.

• Moderators

I'm back from my vacation. Yesterday I drove all day, crossing the Mexican Sonoran Desert, hugging the coast of the Sea of Cortez while the thermometer read 106 degrees F.

San-Felipe-landscapes-15.jpg

Listening to lots of music, but when this song came on... it was perfect. I love Alison Krauss of course but, Dan Tyminski sings his ass off. He's better known as "that dude who really sang Man of Constant Sorrow for George Clooney in O Brother Where Art Thou". I love this song and most definitely after yesterday, a true inspiration

[video=youtube;c2Wu6q5txyY]

• Moderators

Cakewalk dancing and the music born of it! American South plantation slaves created a dance called the Cakewalk. The slaves were essentially making fun of their white owner's ballroom dancing and they exaggerated it into an over the top, fun and funny poke in the eye of a dance. The music they danced to (unlike here in these clips) was comprised of a banjo and "bones". Animal bones, two in each hand. The rhythms were the beginnings of jazz and rock and roll polyrhythm. Banjo straight, bones syncopated. Then the bones straight, banjo syncopated. In other words, one rhythm against another. Kinda like what they did in Africa. Hmmm...

A simple polyrhythm being the 3 against 2. See the straight 1 2 3 4 below and see a pitch pattern below that. A B C aren't specific pitches, as in the notes A B and C. But rather just a representation of the pitch pattern. now accent each "A". This puts the accent first on beat 1, then 4, then 3 and so on. Polyrhythm and syncopation.

| 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 |

| A b c A | b c A b | c A b c | A b c A|

Note in the video the white attempts at the Cakewalk. It became a turn of the century pop smash dance craze. So you had whites copying blacks who were making fun of whites. And the whites unaware. Good times in America. Minstrel shows to follow. But hey! We got rock and roll and jazz out of it!

[video=youtube;7sDnVIeSn_k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sDnVIeSn_k

Archived