Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norah... ahhh Norah.... the old guy ain't so bad either.

Comment

Great song. "I should win a Wurlitzer Prize..."
      “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

Amos Lee.

As discussed earlier (re: me and Lee Knight), the name Lee comes from the Irish word for poet.
        “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

Great choice! I love the way the guitar comes in at 3:44, and the melding of the electric & acoustic guitars throughout. Overall, I think Animals is a criminally underrated Floyd album.
          Guitars: Heritage H-150CM, Jackson USA SL-2H, Ibanez Jem 7V, Gibson SG, Fender Strat, Carvin ST-300, Yamaha AES620
          Amp: Carvin Legacy VL-100 half stack, Gibson L-5 Lab Series
          Effects: Suhr Riot, Barber Dirty Bomb, Soundblox Classic Distortion, TC Elec Chorus, Boss DD-3, Dunlop EVH Wah, Gig-Fx MegaWah, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-50, Digitech GNX4

Comment

As discussed earlier (re: me and Lee Knight), the name Lee comes from the Irish word for poet.

Amos is great... He's from Philadelphia. I'm friends with his drummer.

Comment

A curmudgeonly luddite after my own heart...
              Beware of deepities.-- Daniel Dennett

Comment

He got two years off for good behavior
                Back in the neighborhood working for the savior

Best couplet of the day.
                Beware of deepities.-- Daniel Dennett

Comment

I like this guy... so do my wife and kids. We all win.

Comment

I'm back from my vacation. Yesterday I drove all day, crossing the Mexican Sonoran Desert, hugging the coast of the Sea of Cortez while the thermometer read 106 degrees F.

Listening to lots of music, but when this song came on... it was perfect. I love Alison Krauss of course but, Dan Tyminski sings his ass off. He's better known as "that dude who really sang Man of Constant Sorrow for George Clooney in O Brother Where Art Thou". I love this song and most definitely after yesterday, a true inspiration

Comment

Cakewalk dancing and the music born of it! American South plantation slaves created a dance called the Cakewalk. The slaves were essentially making fun of their white owner's ballroom dancing and they exaggerated it into an over the top, fun and funny poke in the eye of a dance. The music they danced to (unlike here in these clips) was comprised of a banjo and "bones". Animal bones, two in each hand. The rhythms were the beginnings of jazz and rock and roll polyrhythm. Banjo straight, bones syncopated. Then the bones straight, banjo syncopated. In other words, one rhythm against another. Kinda like what they did in Africa. Hmmm...

A simple polyrhythm being the 3 against 2. See the straight 1 2 3 4 below and see a pitch pattern below that. A B C aren't specific pitches, as in the notes A B and C. But rather just a representation of the pitch pattern. now accent each "A". This puts the accent first on beat 1, then 4, then 3 and so on. Polyrhythm and syncopation.

| 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 | 1 2 3 4 |

| A b c A | b c A b | c A b c | A b c A|

Note in the video the white attempts at the Cakewalk. It became a turn of the century pop smash dance craze. So you had whites copying blacks who were making fun of whites. And the whites unaware. Good times in America. Minstrel shows to follow. But hey! We got rock and roll and jazz out of it!

Comment

Having heard it, I'm even more flattered. I learned it over the weekend.

Cheers!

Comment

Dan Tyminski sings his ass off.

Yep. He's got the perfect voice for singing bluegrass.

Comment

Anyone need a good Doctor?

Comment

wow! ^^^

Comment

WTF happened to the BEP? I used to love those guys. And then they started tuning Fergie. Fergie does not need tuning.

But hemlines go up, hemlines go down. I guess the BEP are more slaves to fashion than true to their art...

One thing that never goes out of fashion is... good taste...

Another inspiration for me this week has been the force feeding of radio pop I've experienced resort poolside.

To realize the current array of radio pop is essentially techno music in sound and arrangement, not R & B/Hip Hop as it was so recently. Then to analyze as I tend to do. Techno's builds, its breaks, its sounds (with the addition of a heaping helping of NI's newer Massive and FM8 synths), married to pop song form. The hybrid of trad pop form and techno pacing is interesting.

It's easy to scoff at and tempting as hell, I'll grant you. But a week of tequila and LMFAO/Rihanna/et al tends to open your mind a bit. Or melt it, I'm not sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X