A Perfect Life

bee3

• Members

Here's another simple one. Came up with it this morning... while working from home... I stayed home because my stomach is torn apart and being in the office all day seemed rather torturous. And so it goes... the life of the corporate clone.

(The 'security' issues on this site are maddening. I may write a hate song about it).

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11926905

Updated: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11927924

I have no worry

Then again life is kind of blurry

I don't need to watch a watch make time go by

Your days they're kind of stressful

Won't you settle down

We'll have a restful situation

By which we'll abide

And no, life's not really this way

If only we could tune it all out when we close our eyes

Maybe one day we can

Once the kids are grown and our worries, they no longer apply

Until then we'll dream like this...

... is crazy

We should live our lives kind of lazy

Enjoying everything

While we have time

Maybe one day we can

• Members

The melody on this line is incredible:

I also love the lift at the end on "dream like this...", it leads wonderfully into the lead bit.

The ending is cool, but in some ways I wish you had just faded out on the solo. This seems like an ideal piece to walk away at its apex.

A couple lines felt funny to me.:

life is kind of blurry - just seems like a weird connection that felt like a forced rhyme

Enjoying everything - nothing lyrical, but "enjoying" sounds funny. Not sure if you could phrase it differently or perhaps a word change might be warranted.

• Moderators

I love the lyric!!! Very cool. This section:

Maybe one day we can

This feels a little unanchored melodically. More the melodic rhythm but the pitches as well. It doesn't feel like you're using the words in an advantageous way with regards to their internal rhythm. I'd look at either finding how to make that section pop melodic-rhythmically, or edit the words to make them pop more naturally. The content is great but the bounce and feel of certainty on that section isn't quite there yet.

• Members

Thanks both.

Regarding the rhythm and cadence, it was a rush job (I'm supposed to be working!). I haven't had a chance to do my drive around in the car and listen to it 100 times. Hopefully, once I do that... it'll come together more smoothly.

• Members

A couple lines felt funny to me.:

life is kind of blurry - just seems like a weird connection that felt like a forced rhyme

Enjoying everything - nothing lyrical, but "enjoying" sounds funny. Not sure if you could phrase it differently or perhaps a word change might be warranted.

I agree about the word "enjoying," but disagree with Justin O. on "life is kind of blurry." I like that.

I also like the way the vocal comes back in after the solo.

Nice work. Very listenable, and something I'd want to listen to over and over.

• Moderators

Thanks both.

Regarding the rhythm and cadence, it was a rush job (I'm supposed to be working!). I haven't had a chance to do my drive around in the car and listen to it 100 times. Hopefully, once I do that... it'll come together more smoothly.

Yo entiendo mi amigo.

• Members

Really like the way the tune is arranged, particularly this.....

... is crazy

We should live our lives kind of lazy

Enjoying everything

While we have time

Wonderful melodic variations abound. :cool: Great to hear the guitar coming in as well.

But I keep getting stuck on that very first line. That 'worry/blurry' rhyme just seems too.......easy.

• Members

Worry hurry? Better or easier?

My problem with the line isn't that necessarily the rhyme, but that the line itself seems to have no meaning. The wording of the line makes it seem like it should be an important counterpoint, but it falls a good deal short of that. I think I get the opposing themes, but I still don't think it works.

Now, if it was something like "as life starts to blur we" I could get much more firmly behind it.

• Members

My problem with the line isn't that necessarily the rhyme, but that the line itself seems to have no meaning. The wording of the line makes it seem like it should be an important counterpoint, but it falls a good deal short of that. I think I get the opposing themes, but I still don't think it works.

Now, if it was something like "as life starts to blur we" I could get much more firmly behind it.

Yeah, they were the first lyrics that came out... and I think I was thinking that the song would go in a different direction. How about:

Life, it should be peaceful

To know our place is rather useful

We don't need to watch a watch make time go by

• Members

Yeah, they were the first lyrics that came out... and I think I was thinking that the song would go in a different direction. How about:

Life, it should be peaceful

To know our place is rather useful

We don't need to watch a watch make time go by

Did I mention that I really, really like the idea of life being blurry. That's brilliant. There are some days where everything is a blur, you're rushing around, trying to get places on time. It's all a blur.

The only problem I see with the opening verse is that it should probably go something like this:

I have no worry

even though life is kind of blurry

or

I have no worry

even though life can get blurry

• Members

Did I mention that I really, really like the idea of life being blurry. That's brilliant. There are some days where everything is a blur, you're rushing around, trying to get places on time. It's all a blur.

The only problem I see with the opening verse is that it should probably go something like this:

I have no worry

even though
life is kind of blurry

or

I have no worry

even though
life
can get
blurry

Life can be a blur but I don't think that blurry works to describe life. Weird.

• Members

I have no worry

even though
life is kind of blurry

or

I have no worry

even though
life
can get
blurry

Neither of these lines bother me like the current one does.

• Members

Life can be a blur but I don't think that blurry works to describe life.

I agree with that.

I think you could get away with...

I have no worry

even though life is a blur

As a listener I get that rhyme, even if it is only implied.

Although you could get the rhyme even closer by singing it as...

I have no worry

even though life is a blur....I

Don't need to watch a watch make time go by

• Members

So... what about:

I have no worry

Don't want to live my life in a hurry

To beat a dead horse, "life is kind of blurry" is a great line. In fact it's one of the best lines in the song.

• Members

To beat a dead horse, "life is kind of blurry" is a great line. In fact it's one of the best lines in the song.

It certainly is much better than the cliche worry/hurry pairing. I just really dislike the set up of the line and hope Justin changes to one of your suggestions.

• Members

I'm late to the party, so I'll grab a different line to pick on:

By which we'll abide

...sounds kind of stilted and un-conversational. Plus, I don't think the meaning really fits. It makes me think, "we shall abide by this rule." The rhyme is a long I sound, so you should have plenty of replacement word choices for building a new line.

I really like the melody. It has shades of "Our House," but not enough to sound borrowed. I'm also getting a little John Lennon vibe for some reason. Again, in a good way, not a borrowed way.

Archived