Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

"The Other Side of Blue" - a WIP (borrowed from Stick's song w/ the same title)

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pavlov is a word and theme that scans weird but somehow sounds perfect when you perform it. I don't mean "you" in the general sense, I mean you specifically with that great delivery of yours. I suspect any problems with it would lessen if there was a demo.

I'd have to get a tune first. (And, according to stick, I'll also need an attorney.)
    “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

I've just read the lyric in it's revised form, and in both versions the mention of Pavlov bugs me.
      The rest of the lyric has a good feel, but 'Pavlov' clunks for me.

Also I think that the dog and cog lines might be better developed as a continuation of the 'rain' setup line.
      The bell, the dog, the wheel and cog seem to appear out of nowhere.

Intellectually I know what you're doing, but from a songwriting perspective, I think those lines could be bettered.

This is what I was thinking too

Comment

I'd have to get a tune first. (And, according to stick, I'll also need an attorney.)

I think I forgot the "winky" face.

Comment

Ding! Nice, LC...

Comment

I'm amazed at how much better it is after the little tweaks you made. I could tell something in the first version was off, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.

These two lines, however, still feel slightly clunky to me:

I still have the phantom pains
            from when your fingertips withdrew.

'Phantom pains' sounds like a digestive malady

Phantom pains refers to the feelings some amputees get, as if their arms and legs were still connected to the body, and still capable of feeling hot or cold, or being in pain.
            “Good Vibrations” was probably a good record but who's to know? You had to play it about 90 bloody times to even hear what they were singing about. What’s next? Rock opera? —Pete Townshend, Melody Maker Interview, 1966.

Comment

I think I forgot the "winky" face.

Oops! Me too!

Comment

Lyrical upgrade.

[FONT="]The Other Side of Blue[/FONT]

[FONT="]It

Comment

I like it. What range of meaning are you trying to address with "blue"?
                  Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

I like it. What range of meaning are you trying to address with "blue"?

I best answer this...it's my line

The other side of blue... the other side of sadness I guess. Happiness

Comment

Well, the first verse seems to be about the sky.
                      Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

Well, the first verse seems to be about the sky.

I hadn't thought of that.

A lot of this is spit balling, so to speak. Whatever sticks to the wall is what I'll keep.

Comment

I hadn't thought of that.

A lot of this is spit balling, so to speak. Whatever sticks to the wall is what I'll keep.

I thought it was cool that the "blue" might've been a sky related thing and then becomes more clear as the song goes on.
                          Don't listen to Justin.
                          LCK - 2/21/2012

Comment

I thought it was cool that the "blue" might've been a sky related thing and then becomes more clear as the song goes on.

That's nice, but the music will probably dispel that idea pretty quickly. It's a blues in a minor key.

Comment

Another lyrical upgrade.

A tune is forming in my head as we speak.

Life is wonderful. Seriously. Isn't it great to be a songwriter working on a new song?

[FONT="]The Other Side of Blue[/FONT]

[FONT="]It

Comment

I prefer your immediately previous version of V2 but admire the quality re-write. Still, I'd go with the previous. It rings truer and sings better. I love however, your V3 but have a few simple suggestions to break it up, make it (perhaps) feel a little more spontaneous and mildly haphazard:

Now I watch the passing trains
                                pretending yours is just overdue.
                                Rain shines on the track I try to cope when
                                You won

Comment

Working...
                                X