• Time
  • Show
Clear All

you win

Comment

boy, you guys aren't predictable or anything

*spits*
      Lyrics Songs Demos Videos Covers Dj Facebook Tumblr

Before you leave the house, look in the mirror and take one thing off.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

To paraphrase a guy who used to post in BSWTB:

You don't have to chase tail lights, and you don't have to give people exactly what they ask for. You do have to appeal to an audience, and you do have to give people what they want, but that can take a lot of different forms. oke:

-Coco Chanel

Comment

you win

Comment

you win

Comment

C'mon man - not cool.

-Coco Chanel

Comment

. . . , But still the point is well taken that you should pick a genre you like, study what works in that genre, and see if you can make your creation fit into it. Music is about communication. If nobody understands what you've communicated, you haven't communicated anything.

OK. What do I win?
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGxDwt26FZc
                http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/marshallsongs
                http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/marshallsongs

Comment

What happened? I finally have time to go in and read it!

Comment

I melted under the unbearable strain of cynicism.

Comment

"Now me, I went to Nashville, tryin' to beat the big deal
                      Playin' down on Broadway, gettin' there the hard way
                      Living from a tip jar, sleeping in my car
                      Hocking my guitar, yeah I'm gonna be a star

Now, me and Deliah singing every Sunday
                      Watching the children and the garden grow
                      We listen to the radio to hear what's cookin?
                      But the music ain't got no soul

Now they sound tired but they don't sound Haggard
                      They've got money but they don't have Cash
                      They got Junior but they don't have Hank
                      I think, I think, I think

The rest is a long time gone
                      No, I ain't hit the roof
                      Since I don't know when
                      Long time gone
                      And it ain't coming back again"

Darrell Scott.

Comment

Ooops.

I think the major points of the discussion you posted are VERY relevant to EVERYBODY here.

It's true, we are all at different places in our creative journeys. For nearly everybody here, commercial musical success is never going to happen. Nevertheless we all have found creative work in the musical commercial world that cuts through the din and hits the target both artistically and commercially. Like the Darrel Scott tune above. The Dixie Chicks ran it up the commercial (and yes, Country) charts. So there are lessons to be learned.

But because we're not realistically concerned about putting food on the table with this work, we all have a tendency to error on the artistic side, rather than the commercial side in our personal quests.

But truth is, if we (myself very much included) ignore the nuts-and-bolts (so called commercial) side of music, we are doomed to never acheive what we set out to create. Because music is communication. If we continually ignore the tools of communication in favor of the whims of our personal muse, then we will never grow and realize our potential.

, . . . , or not.

Comment

This is too bad. You have a lot of valuable things to say and you are good at giving good, common sense, practical advice about the music biz.

Now, having been around the block, I've been to a few of the sorts of seminar/conference/lecture thingies like the now-redacted material was from. In fact, I think I went to one of TAXI's first such promotional exercises and have been following them from a distance for a long time.

There is, of course, no question that I'm extremely cynical about the music business. I try to make sure it's not a secret so that people will know where I'm coming from. I don't want anyone surprised when I express my decidedly jaded and cynical views.

But because of that, I think it's very important to have countervailing views and positive examples.

I'm sorry that the pervasive cynicism got to you -- if I'd known there was a danger of that, I would likely have tempered my comments with some encouragement for your efforts -- despite the fact that I was (secretly) a bit worried that they inadvertently amounted to free promotion for TAXI. But TAXI has been around long enough and seems to be a source of perennial curiosity that I think some discussion of them is worthwhile.

Of course, I fully realize that your intent was simply to get the views of some industry veterans and a newcomer who's doing it the industry way into discussion, not to promote TAXI.

I think your contributions here, Lee, are very important because you a) have a genuine love for pop music in most of its forms, b) generally have an open mind about the business despite a long involvement with it (which provides worthwhile balance to folks like me who decidedly do not), and c) have the energy and enthusiasm that such a path requires.

Mind you, I'm not saying I think a Pollyanna approach is appropriate (nor do I think you present it) but I think it's important that not everyone here hates the music biz.

Folks, if you want to be actively involved with the music business, you should pay good attention to what Lee says and, if you can find a way to genuinely develop the sort of enthusiasm and open-minded approach he so often displays, while still keeping your feet on the ground and remaining realistic, it will likely keep you a lot more sane. That can be tough to do, but I think Lee is a pretty good example of what a positive attitude can do to help you maintain your enthusiasm in a tough business.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

Lee is King. King Knight.

I'd like to hear war stories of Lee's musical past actually... the early 80s pop music scene. I want to hear them... I want to hear them all.

Comment

Lee is King. King Knight.

I'd like to hear war stories of Lee's musical past actually... the early 80s pop music scene. I want to hear them... I want to hear them all.
                              I think of Lee as the heart of this forum.

Imagine if I was the heart of this forum, eh? What a cold and lonely place this would be.

That's why they have me on spam patrol.

music and social links | recent listening

Comment

I feel like I missed something interesting.. but figured I'd chime in with an observation based on the the "pick a genre and stick with it" idea..

Ive been listening to a series of lectures on the evolution of classical music - the speaker likes to assert that the music from given era's is a reflection of the world at the time.. We live in the information age where everything is available all of the time..

My observation being that I'm not sure "Genre" is what it used to be..
                                Aaron McDonald | Comic Book Music (and not comic book music)

Comment

Working...
                                X