This has never happened to me before (Editing Spurt)

Chicken Monkey

• Members

I've had creative spurts, and creative dry spells, but last night I was editing/re-writing as if I were inspired. I patched up a song I've been marinating on for 6 months, and went to sleep editing another song in my head. Rewriting is the hardest part of the process, and I rarely do it, so this was weird. I hope it continues. Anyone else experienced this?

• Members

I've had creative spurts, and creative dry spells, but last night I was editing/re-writing as if I were inspired. I patched up a song I've been marinating on for 6 months, and went to sleep editing another song in my head. Rewriting is the hardest part of the process, and I rarely do it, so this was weird. I hope it continues. Anyone else experienced this?

For me it's not weird; it's de rigeur.

• Moderators

Yes! When I first came here, the emphasis was on re-writing. And you, CM, were a big part of that emphasis. Now, as with Lee above, it's part of the routine and I tend to get on a roll with it just as I do with anything else. Sometimes I can't seem to get in the head space to re-write. But other times... bam, I see the forest for the trees and can make a tiny change that alters to thing for the better, or make a big change (or many changes) that literally transforms the song.

So yeah, sometimes I get on a roll with it... and sometimes not. And hopefully there's something else thats starting to get on a roll to fill the gap. Like the initial spark, or the recording, or...

Archived