Not That Kind Of Man

TTognaci

• Members

The writing of this song has undergone many changes to get to this point. I can't be too worried with the recording.....getting better seems to take a lot of time. I've never thrown it out to any of you here at Harmony....and, as always, get feed back here that I just don't get anywhere else! Thanks in advance for any and all comments. -Tom

"Not That Kind Of Man"
by Tom Tognaci

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10850743

I
I heard my little girl crying late last night
And I would be lying if I said I thought her boyfriend was Mr. Right
I thought to tell her,

• Members

Mm, a fellow resident of the pacific ocean. Aloha and such.
My 20cts:

Lyrically -
First Impression of Verse I: Aww...
First Impression of Verse II: "Baby" made me think significant other.. which made me think the second verse was going to be introspective.
It took till the end of the verse before I realized I was confused and that it wasn't a shift in subject.

Second impression of Verse I: Aww..
Second impression of Verse II: Aww..

Performance and Arrangement-wise it sounds good to me.

Recording quality-wise it's a functional demo - the only thing I might change personally is that the lead guitar had a bit too much bite on my speakers. But it's probably still within the realm of the subjective.

• Members

I've struggled with this subject matter myself, and the only thought I can pass along is that it is very easy to slip entirely to one side on the narrative and land too hard on the judgmental while missing the opportunity for empathetic insight.

The daughter sees something in him - what do you think that is?

• Members

I don't know about the above suggestion to change the end line to another question. To me, it's a nice contrast to have all those questions asked and then BAM! An actual statement comes in and finalises things. I liked that, and if it IS what you want to convey in the song - that somehow you KNOW he's not that kind of man and you're only asking those questions of your daughter because you want HER to answer them herself and come to the same conclusion, then that's fine.

However, if the meaning you're more interested in getting across is actually that you DON'T know if he's that kind of man but you just FEAR he's not good enough (as pretty much every father does about their daughters), then changing that line to a question is good and you have my approval. LOL

• Members

-Hey there Shadowsbird......and Aloha!!!! Do you know any of the Ibanez (there are variences in the spelling) family?
Anyways..thanks for listening and commenting....and Aww is wonderful! Thanks. The lyric was written on the bedside of my tearing little ficticious girl ;-)
And the guitar is something I absolutely love.....but I do receive many doubts on the volume and tone....I'm not sure, yet, as to how to handle it. Thanks....... -Tom

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by grace_slick View Post
I don't know about the above suggestion to change the end line to another question. To me, it's a nice contrast to have all those questions asked and then BAM! An actual statement comes in and finalises things. I liked that, and if it IS what you want to convey in the song - that somehow you KNOW he's not that kind of man and you're only asking those questions of your daughter because you want HER to answer them herself and come to the same conclusion, then that's fine.

However, if the meaning you're more interested in getting across is actually that you DON'T know if he's that kind of man but you just FEAR he's not good enough (as pretty much every father does about their daughters), then changing that line to a question is good and you have my approval. LOL
Hi Grace...first off, I'd like to thank you for the Kudo's (they can be really under rated) ;-)

And although Lee's prospective is a fresh one, and note worthy.....I am happy with the story's layout and punch lines....thanks for commenting Grace!! -Tom

• Members

Hi Lee....thanks sooo much for commenting!! It is really appreciated. That's a good idea you have from a diffrent prospective...interesting....but, I am partial to the layout of the story as I have it. I'm coming from the angle that I know this dude, and don't like him.......but, for my daughter's sake, I must be respectful and gentle.
Thanks again........-Tom

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by rsadasiv View Post
I've struggled with this subject matter myself, and the only thought I can pass along is that it is very easy to slip entirely to one side on the narrative and land too hard on the judgmental while missing the opportunity for empathetic insight.

The daughter sees something in him - what do you think that is?
Hi Rsadasiv..........Thanks for listening and commenting...........well, she's probably like many young girls....she see's a pretty face....a beautiful smile....a wild, fun thing......and all the external qualities that send a young butterfly swooning.....I guess!
Thanks again..... -Tom

Archived