security

blue2blue

• Members

I'm not jumping to the conclusion that it happened here, but the time frame is right -- I'm currently fighting an infection of my main desktop machine -- with 33 files infected out of 3,000,000 files (and counting). I will report more later.

If anyone else finds themselves infected, make a note of the file names and Trojan names and we'll compare notes.

For the time being I will be moderating from my Google Nexus 7 tablet, which is a total pain.

My estimate for the completion of the malware scan is about ten pm Pacific time. I will report with the malware names at that point.

UPDATE:

Worm: Win32/Morto.gen!B

PWS:Sinowal.gen!Y

Info on the malware...

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/Threat/Encyclopedia/Entry.aspx?Name=PWS%3AWin32%2FSinowal.gen!Y

• Members

I have a Mac. I did a virus scan and my computer is reportedly fine.

My Mac is also clear. I think 99% of viruses are written for Windows.

But none of this has anything to do with the site being incredibly slow, which is a separate frustrating issue, and inhibiting posting. What is that about Blue?

• Members

Right -- so far it doesn't seem to be any sort of widespread problem. I'm the only case of infection that I know about here so far and again I'm not saying I got it here. If my diction here seems strange or stilted it's because I'm dictating this to avoid having to type into the virtual keypad of my tablet.

• Members

Same here.

(UPDATE 2012-10-12... my machine appears to be all cleaned up -- and better yet, I was doing a little remedial how-to-get-the-most-out-of-your-Google-tablet re-edumucation and realized there were replacement keyboards for Android that had Swype-like features built in. I'm not one to go flinging money at mobile apps, but this is one 4 dollar app I'm gonna buy when the demo period's over. SlideIt is the app. It's much better than the default keyboard in other respects, too, getting 'smart' CAP behavior more right than the topsy-turvy, clunky default, with a smart destructive backspace/back-word. It was driving me absolutely crazy trying to use the native virtual keypad, even with voice recognition. Maybe especially. Nothing is more frustrating than getting two or three deal-breaking wrong words in the middle of a long sentence. Anyhow, everything works to a plan... I may have lost a day and a half's use of my main machine, but at least I'm hugely more comfortable using my tablet for more than dumb consumption. Before this replacement keyboard, even trying to get two sentences out would put me in a bad mood. But now, the world is good again. (This would have gone down a lot easier had SlideIt come up when I searched on Swype in the G-store but, hey.)

Archived